advertisement

Strangest thing you ate

Bart

pfm Member
I don’t think I can offer anything more exotic than snails (and I have no recollection of the taste), but would be interested to hear if anyone has tried something really unusual on their travels and what taste or effect it had.

Mangosteens.

It's not a kind of mango or related to mangos, but man was it a tasty fruit.

Joe

In France, I had snails (you have to, don't you), but could not bear the thought of whole ones in shells, so went with the chopped up in garlic sauce option.
In Florida, tried frogs legs and alligator.

An 8 year old frozen waffle. I did not know it was 8 years old until I took the first bite, thought this tastes a bit musty, and looked at the box. It had been in the bottom of our freezer for 8 years.

Zebra, kudu, gemsbok, woodcock (not to be repeated - an acquired taste, but I'd give snipe a go), grey squirrel, mangosteens, black mulberries, quince, yew berries (sweet but bland - DO NOT EAT THE SEEDS), teal, pintail, wigeon, muntjac, sika, roe venison, whelks (an extinct delicacy in the UK I believe), winkles, crunchy frog in lark's vomit

Snails and frog legs both here and in France. Alligator in New Orleans. First time really nice second time really rank. BBQ’d Kangaroo in the outback after shooting it from the back of a Ute with some barking farmers . I wouldn’t condone it now but I was young and stupid. I don’t think my bullet actually hit it. Had all the usually’s such as buffalo, Ostrich, goat, horse and Venison.

Venison varies from species to species, gender to gender and carcass to carcass, from very bland to to die for

Zebra, kudu, gemsbok, woodcock (not to be repeated - an acquired taste), grey squirrel, mangosteens, black mulberries, quince, yew berries (sweet but bland - DO NOT EAT THE SEEDS),

yes those as well as dog, snake, tarantula, hippo (so they told me), crickets, grass cutter. Any seafood, sea cucumber was odd. I refused sharks fin

One of my French favourites is duck gizzard salad.

The worst thing I’ve ever eaten was some tripe dim sum, I had to spit it out before I gagged (literally).

I've had a few dodgy doners, I shudder to think what was in some of them. Otherwise, kangaroo, crocodile and sucking lobster heads has to be a bit strange. How anyone could eat insects and creepies is beyond me.

I used to work with a guy who ate road-kill before it was even known as road-kill, back on the 60-70's -

swan, coot, moorhen, hedgehog, and I am reasonably sure stoat and/or weasel.

They have been exterminated here now, but I would have liked to try coypu

duck gizzard salad.

that is delicious, duck tongues are great as well. When I was working in Taiwan, my mate had his flat burgled, and all they stole was the vac packed duck tongues he had in the fridge.

In Taiwan, I drank snake blood.

The other night I was with line dancers and some had brought dry worms and crickets for picnic.

I was offered some but I said no way. Never, ever.

As a Frenchman I eat and love frog legs but snails are a no-no.

Hogget - as a burger, the very best burger (not that I eat many) and the best sheep meat that I have ever eaten, apart from ANY of the lamb from a certain butcher in N Wales.....

I have eaten nothing at all unusual abroad - I travel almost not at all outside of the UK.

advertisement

Back