advertisement

Steely Dan- Any good?

I'm sure Keith will be very proud of your interest in his daughter.

Are you on My Space with this?

They're just pinch harmonics :confused:

Well, I didn't say he invented the technique. Whatever you call it - false harmonics, pinch harmonics, even "The Billy Gibbons Effect" - he uses it extremely well.

Then again, the notes he's playing are just notes. What's the big deal? Everybody plays notes.

You said use of which hasn't been bettered. I fail to see why, anyone can play harmonics. He isn't using them for any particular reason, I see nothing special about turning his pick sideways for a few notes.

Because someone started a thread about his daughters album on an innernit hifi forum where people are supposed to discuss music seriously

It's a mile better than Steely Dan! In fact, I can't think of anything worse right now. They sum up the word "pretentious".

You said use of which hasn't been bettered. I fail to see why, anyone can play harmonics.

Yes I did, and I stand by it. Anyone may be able to employ the technique with varying degrees of effectiveness, but everyone doesn't, and of those that do, fewer still do it as well.

He isn't using them for any particular reason, I see nothing special about turning his pick sideways for a few notes.

What would be an example of a "purpose"? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the "purpose" behind any guitarist (and by guitarist, I mean someone who is more than just a competent ape) choosing to play the notes they play in the particular way they play them.

It's music. But if you see an agenda in artistic choices, I'm eager to learn.

By your logic, there's nothing special about much of what Hendrix (for example) did, either.

Ah, now. Jimi Hendrix. He's really, really good.

Can you not see the difference? JH had real musicality, and I'm using the "M" word in its correct sense.

Which difference are we speaking of, exactly? There's a lot of differences floating about just now. I see a few of 'em.

Using them to accent particular notes would be a purpose. He's just trying to show off.

Wow. You know him better than I do, to be able to read what motivates the man from small pick movements. I capitulate to your insights.

(Does he not actually achieve the note accenting you describe as an acceptable "purpose"? <re-checks clip> Hmm. Those particular notes seem accented to me.)

There are clever ways to use techniques like pinch harmonics, trem bar etc. etc. but if you wheel them out all over the place, like that solo they just become cheap tricks.

There are clever ways to use techniques like pinch harmonics, trem bar etc. etc. but if you wheel them out all over the place, like that solo they just become cheap tricks.

The word "****ERS" springs to mind. That was Kathie's opinion, anyway, with a rude "F" word in front.

Me neither. Kate Bush is innovative and rather excellent, and Steely Dan is forgettable rubbish.

Whilst we may agree on the evolutionary merits of modern record decks, I think your full of shit as regards your opinion on Steely Dan & Donald Fagen. :D

Otoh, I concur with your views on Kate Bush & Lily Allen. :D

Then we are going to ultimately disagree on the meaning of the word "clever". Still, I'd be interested to hear your list of who in 1973 was doing anything like what he did there.

advertisement

Back