advertisement

Steely Dan- Any good?

Kasp, my point was that joe Satriani like your example can play guitar, in time and in tune. Still a shit album.

That song you linked too was about not wanting to goto school, the content was cheese. The guitar solo was fine in its 2 second entirety (if this was not the main one then sorry) and indeed the guy can strum when the gimp is singing. Otherwise he does not strike me as an exceptional guitar player.

But as opposed to Ps argument of 'if you don't get it, you won't understand' perhaps you could explain to me why the guitar work here is exceptional enough to have allowed this group to exist for so long?

I am interested. I am not a guitar player. I like Frank Zappa as a guitarist for instance, or Steve Howe, or mabye a bit of Steve Via if I am feeling saucy, so we know where I stand on guitarists I enjoy (not to say I do not enjoy others)

My point (made several times now, but it's ok that you've missed it in your dogged pursue of an entirely different point) is that the guitar work is exceptional.

Still waiting for someone to engage me in a knowledgeable discussion of in what way(s) that isn't the case.

Also the music is not Ironic, all that makes it Ironic is the fact that these guys clearly were not trying to be ironic, to claim otherwise is digging as far as I am concerned.

And even if it is Ironic, and you know it is, it puts you firmly in that ****y art critic crowd, which still does nothing for the fact the music is still cheesy regardless of where its coming from.

Kasp, my point was that joe Satriani like your example can play guitar, in time and in tune. Still a shit album.

That song you linked too was about not wanting to goto school, the content was cheese. The guitar solo was fine in its 2 second entirety (if this was not the main one then sorry) and indeed the guy can strum when the gimp is singing. Otherwise he does not strike me as an exceptional guitar player.

But as opposed to Ps argument of 'if you don't get it, you won't understand' perhaps you could explain to me why the guitar work here is exceptional enough to have allowed this group to exist for so long?

I am interested. I am not a guitar player. I like Frank Zappa as a guitarist for instance, or Steve Howe, or mabye a bit of Steve Via if I am feeling saucy, so we know where I stand on guitarists I enjoy (not to say I do not enjoy others)

We disagree in a couple of places: (1) I think Joe Satriani sucks as a guitarist (noisemaker extraordinaire, but guitarist, no, and that's just my opinion), and (2) the guitar work IS the merit. You asked why anyone would listen; that's why I listen.

P I have no idea, I am not overly fussed with Led Zep either, I have no doubt you will tell me its a Dan solo.

Again I would point out I am interested. However having listened to Kasp's example, all I heard was a quickly played competent guitar solo, I am not bowled over backwards, weeping or otherwise, it just sound good. Sadly wrapped up in the rest of it, which yes K I did read a while back, you like the guitarist the rest is meh.

Kasp fair enough, but for me the surrounding noise would be enough for me not to listen to the guitarist no matter how good. A bit like Satriani if you like.

And no I do not own Surfing with the alien.

Jimmy Page once said that he'd've given his left arm to have played the solo on Reelin in the Years.

And that's afact.

Man

That solo may or may not be good, but it's still a god-awful song.

I'm finding it hard to believe that you actually think this crap is good. I could almost forgive a certain Wales-based, ex-motorcyclist, ex-standy-type person playing it to me, because he's a hi-fi nerd, but the music .... I mean, really!

That solo may or may not be good, but it's still a god-awful song

...and hey, presto! we've come full circle back to my original point. The guitar solos are good, and that's why I listen.

The careful reader will notice there's nothing in my above statement about the fabulous songs, hair, clothes, or attitudes.

Enough of this.

Maybe that's it though? They're not trendy enough looking?

Hey it's a big enough world. Maybe you don't play the guitar. Maybe you'd rather nod your head in appreciation whilst listening to Kate Bush or Lilly Allen on your stereo or whatever.

We just obviously appreciate different things

advertisement

Back