advertisement

Steely Dan- Any good?

Blimey , how old are you lot ?

Well sign in stranger .. but it does make you wonder .. but hey .. nineteen (except for the third world man). And as any major dude will tell you that they throw back the little ones. Show biz kids the lot of them. Same Night after Night. I'm through with buzz. If logic was a pretzel that lot wouldn't leave a crumb, I reckon they must have a monkey in their soul.

So pass me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen & I'll be on my way back to my old school via Barrytown just East of St Louis .. Toodle-o

now where did I put that number??

Yeah. That's really more of what was actually needed here. A celebration.

Thanks for doing that

A 10 page Steely Dan thread - with passion - in 2007? Far out dudes!

Cheers

Rich
PS Listen to Larry Carlton's solo on Kid Charlemagne (The Royal Scam) - a blinder.

Forget the guitar solo's. Listen to Wayne Shorter's sax solo on Aja, or Steve Gadd's drumming from the same tune. Or the fantastic horn arrangements on Gaucho. Steely dan are brilliant! Kate Bush isn't fit to be mentioned in the same thread. Didn't she work with Rolf Harris?

The guy asked a reasonable question at the start of the thread & instead of leaving it to people who are familiar with Steely Dan's recorded output certain members had to interfere & offer opinions based on limited knowledge of the groups music.

The guy asked a reasonable question at the start of the thread & instead of leaving it to people who are familiar with Steely Dan's recorded output certain members had to interfere & offer opinions based on limited knowledge of the groups music.

What a load of crap, the guy asked if they were any good, some people answered no, as we/they had every right to.
You can tell they're rubbish as there are people saying 'its great for showing off your system' and so forth.

What a load of crap, the guy asked if they were any good, some people answered no, as we/they had every right to.
You can tell they're rubbish as there are people saying 'its great for showing off your system' and so forth.

No he didn't .. he asked what was their best album

As regards showing off your system IMO if it applies at all, it's more like having a decent series of test records at your disposal, (with enjoyable music at the same time). I presume most of us have our favourite recordings for that purpose. ?

Each to their own. But get your facts right.

The thread title says 'Steely Dan- Any Good?' Get your facts right.
Test records is all they're good for.

But he liked "Do It Again" and is therefore likely to find some of their early output interesting. You have to answer the question in it's context. It's no good jumping down people's throats every time they ask about a band you happen not to like. I despise Frank Zappa's stuff but if there's a PFM thread that says, I really like Hot Rats, what else should I buy - what's it got to do with me?
Let the guy listen to what he wants, even if it is coffee table test records. I'm not biased for them, I listened to a selection and although I can handle Do It Again, Reelin In The Years and Rikki Don't lose That Number, most of the rest sounds very tame these days although well played.

Anex perhaps you think your opinion is more important than mine or someonelse's? That is a delusion you are welcome to.

Try suggesting something the guy should listen to (IYO of course).

Me? I'll have fun listening to what I want to hear.

Anex perhaps you think your opinion is more important than mine or someonelse's? That is a delusion you are welcome to.

Try suggesting something the guy should listen to (IYO of course).

Me? I'll have fun listening to what I want to hear.

Yes, my opinion matters to me more than yours. I respect other people's rights to have their opinions, doesn't mean I have to respect their opinions, and I don't expect any more from them. At the end of the day you don't have to pay attention to my posts.

I didn't jump down anyones throat, I guess some people missed the joke.

The main reason I like Lily Allen is that she has wit.

You know, I've thought about this - if you find her witty, I'd respectfully suggest you give the writings of one Mark Twain a go. I suspect you might find him almost as witty (and he was arguably cuter).

advertisement

Back