advertisement

Steely Dan- Any good?

What does 1973 have to do with it? It's still rubbish however you cut it. Explain to me what you find so innovative about what he does there, because I see nothing. Nothing innovative in the blues thing, or the harmonics, or the staccato notes. Pete H said it best a few pages ago.

Pah. People that resort to spouting devilish utterings are obviously at one with the devil.

As I'm sure you're well aware

Explain to me what you find so innovative about what he does there, because I see nothing. Nothing innovative in the blues thing, or the harmonics, or the staccato notes.
Absolutely.

OTOH, there is no-one like Kate Bush, no-one at all.

P, I like Mick.

The brothers Glib?

ah hah hah hah staying alive staying alive

Superb lyric... No wonder it sold millions

What does 1973 have to do with it? It's still rubbish however you cut it. Explain to me what you find so innovative about what he does there, because I see nothing. Nothing innovative in the blues thing, or the harmonics, or the staccato notes. Pete H said it best a few pages ago.

Hmm, where to start.... What does context have to do with it? A helluva a lot, actually. Being the first to do something says a great deal about that which is being done. When I look at the guitarists who were contemporary to this solo being recorded, I don't see anyone doing what he did. When I look at his predecessors - even those history has esteemed - nope, not there.

Did he invent the harmonic effect? Nope. But I haven't seen many others work in an entire line - out of nowhere - where the harmonics almost have the effect of pulling the whole phrase into a different key, but still anchored by the root notes. He's throwing in a gospel-style call-and-response with the horn section, anticipating them, leading them (this is even more evident in the third part that's omitted here); he intersperses staccato notes with three, four, and five-note chords in rapid-fire succession, somewhat reminiscent of Matt Murphy, but faster and edgier; he pulls some Wes Montgomery-style sliding octave licks, bluesy funkabilly walk-downs a la Johnny Guitar Watson, and trumpet-style ascending runs into a single cohesive element, in the space of about 4 seconds. And his timing is as good as it gets outside of maybe Albert Collins. Maybe.

But hey, anyone can do that.:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back