advertisement

Standard subchassis vs Sole vs Keel.

It seems to me that the keel shaded the performance oer the Mk V Sole. So what is the difference in price? Personally I feel that there is a comparison missing as the OP would imply that the extra for the keel is very expensive for what "little" additioanl sound quality you might achive (I'm paraphrasing and interpreting his findings so correct me if I'm wrong)

However, the better comparison would be the Sole vs Greenstreet Keel. The latter is miles cheaper ($875 from the USA) and a fantastic improvement. I suspect the price difference with the Sole isn't large - then the decision might be different.....

And yes I do own a Greenstreet Keel....

sounds like the sole is an excellent value.

However I can't but help wonder how the comparison would have turned out if the Greenstreet Klone were included. Given that it is a knock-off of the Keel it might be a very viable alternative.

Whoops! don't know how I overlooked the post above about the greenstreet.

Oh well.

Although I am in the US I chose the Sole over the Greenstreet as I was not sure which arm I would end up using. Good thing too as it sounds so good with my Jelco 750 that I am going to put my best arm, a Graham 2.2 on it. The Graham is an SME mount so I would have had a hard time with the Greenstreet with its integral arm board. Doubtless the Keel/Greenstreet method is better except for constant experimenters. Very happy with the Sole, but as it is the sole one I have tried [pun] I can't say how it compares to the others.

Great to hear you're happy Stan.

Be really good to get some independant "bake offs" undertaken - one day maybe?

My offer still stands, I'm quite happy to put a Sole up for it: either a Mk V or the VI.

John R.

Hi John,

what is different about the Mk VI - is it the new armboard, which you have mentioned in the past?

Guy

1. I've reduced the thickness (9.5-10 mm instead of 12mm) but maintaining the same weight as the Linn sub-chassis - within a few grams.

2. To colour it black.

3. To make the grommet recesses slightly larger in diameter.

So..

1. Has been achieved by increasing ally thickness and decreasing mdf thickness.

2. Has been acheived by bead blasting and colour anodising.

3. Has been achieved by altering very slightly the angles of the sides thus allowing an increase in diameter of the recess.

The prototype is in place on my LP12 right now which is running an Audio Origami PU7 and AT 33PTG.

I'm awaiting the next batch of profiles so that I can commence production of the VI within the next few weeks.

The less costly Mk V will remain available alongside the VI - for a while at least. I'm also awaiting samples from the metal finishers with respect to the arm-boards.

John R.

advertisement

Back