advertisement

Standard subchassis vs Sole vs Keel.

kanwar

pfm Member
On Friday the 6th of August I will be comparing the Linn LP12 standard Cirkused Subchassis with the Sole Subchassis and the Linn Keel. The other equipment in the equation will be a Linn Ekos with an Ortofon MC25 FL, Linn Lingo, Naim 32.5 with 821A boards. An Avondaled Snaps, Avondale S100. Linn Isobariks.
If anyone’s interested, stay tuned.
Cheers. K.

How are you going to go about doing that? Will you be switching around the sub-chassis within the same deck? If so, I would make a recording of each for review later. On second thought, make a recording of each whichever way you do it. ;)

Yes I’ll be using the same deck and make cassette recordings of the same tunes with the different mods. I’m anticipating a lot of elbow grease and concentration and I pray that nothing goes wrong; I’ve had such bad luck with hifi this year.
However I will have some reliable friends over to help me out and have a listen, so I look forward to it all.
K.

I'm not really up on... what do you call it? burning tunes. I thought that if the differences are recorded on a good cassette then they could be later burned or ripped, or whatever and sent out to those interested.

I'm not really up on... what do you call it? burning tunes. I thought that if the differences are recorded on a good cassette then they could be later burned or ripped, or whatever and sent out to those interested.

Well, it can be done; but it is a lot more simple, and higher quality, to record directly to your laptop in the first place.

Yes I’ll be using the same deck and make cassette recordings of the same tunes with the different mods. I’m anticipating a lot of elbow grease and concentration and I pray that nothing goes wrong; I’ve had such bad luck with hifi this year.
However I will have some reliable friends over to help me out and have a listen, so I look forward to it all.
K.

If you fulfill your certainly in big competition with Jackall in www.tryingmostoutthisyear@PFM

Well, it can be done; but it is a lot more simple, and higher quality, to record directly to your laptop in the first place.

Believe it or not I don't own a laptop. There will be some guys coming round with their respective spouses (ears without the hifi-hype); I'll see if someone could bring one.

I applaud your enthusiasm, and would love to hear these three options compared, however, I feel the only way to get a real view is to have three identical decks set up side by side, built with a torque driver and someone with lots of LP12 skill. And, the idea of recording to analyze test results sounds like it misses the mark. With your proposed plan, I would not make any decisions based on the results. At least, have a good time...

Believe it or not I don't own a laptop. There will be some guys coming round with their respective spouses (ears without the hifi-hype); I'll see if someone could bring one.

Hmm..well, they will also have to bring the knowledge of how to do it and the relevant software.
----------------------
This link doesn't open.

That's because it's a joke.

This link doesn't open.

It's a joke!

Take lots of listening notes on Friday. Try to hear what the music does not just hi fi terms. Can you hear more expression on vocals, do the quiet parts of the percussion receede when the music gets loud etc

I wish I could be there!

Have fun.

Andrew

advertisement

Back