advertisement

Standard subchassis vs Sole vs Keel.

Thanks very much Kanwar, you've obviously taken a lot of time and trouble to do this. Your results are very interesting, especially your comment about the Sole being the same sound type as the Linn original.

That is the main thing that worries me about the Keel alternatives. I LIKE THE LINN SOUND. I suspect that a lot of the non-Linn upgrades make the LP12 sound like a Pink Triangle, which is fine but I just don't like the Pink Triangle :( Each to their own.

Cheers :)

As a 'late' side note, the idea of using a torque driver is not mine, Thomas Okeefe of Overture Audio, I believe, was one of the first to use one on the LP12, and Frederick Lejonklou, manufacture of a fine phono pre, and of the Lejonklou forum ( lots of LP12 tidbits there)

The idea of a torque driver does make perfect sense to me though, I feel it is a must have item for turntable setup, and would love to see it become so.

Chris ,

can you post the settings for the various bolts/nuts/screws please?

I already have a small torque wrench...

Jo

I do not recall at this minute, where exactly in my files they are. I think they are all posted on the Lejonklou forum where you will learn more than I can post, and then some. It will be worth the search. If you cannot find them, PM me and I will find them for you soon enough. Currently, all my efforts are focused on getting my work done and carving out a two week vacation, so I can attend the National Audio Show in September in Northampton.

I’m really chuffed that my old mate Derek has done this, see Derek Jenkins endorses "Sole" sub-chassis over in Trade announcements Feb 2nd 2011. This is practically confirmation that if you’ve ever had any doubts concerning which LP 12 subchassis to purchase as an alternative to the very expensive Linn Keel, then go for the Sole, and get Derek Jenkins from Studio AV to fit it for you.
He’s not one to blow his own trumpet; he hates hifi
shows and the internet, and he wouldn’t belong to a forum that would have him as a member. But when it comes to setting up the Linn Lp12, (and most other turntables), he’s second to none. You don’t have to take my word for it, enough people have written about him on this forum with nothing but praise. As far as I know, in the 30 odd years that Derek has been in the business there are only 2 non Linn Lp12 alternative upgrades that he advocates, (apart from obviously cartridges and tone arms): Audio Origami’s tone arm cable and re-wiring service and the Sole.
I’m seriously thinking of getting the old Git over here, paying for his flight and beer, and get him to re-set my Soled LP12.
Congrats, John R!
Kanwar.

Kanwar.
Thank you very much, but it's thanks to you for setting the meeting up. Derek? Really nice guy, straight talking, very knowledgeable and impressive to watch installing and setting up the Sole. I was very honoured to have met him in person, hopefully we'll get another chance to talk after he's done more listening to it.

You my friend are too modest with respect to the help you have given Analogue innovation in the promotion of our product so I now wish to say that you are our chosen dealer for the German market.

Regards

John R.

I do not recall at this minute, where exactly in my files they are. I think they are all posted on the Lejonklou forum where you will learn more than I can post, and then some. It will be worth the search. If you cannot find them, PM me and I will find them for you soon enough. Currently, all my efforts are focused on getting my work done and carving out a two week vacation, so I can attend the National Audio Show in September in Northampton.
In Northampton?

Or is this the Whittlebury show, which is in Northamptonshire, but about 14 miles from Northampton?

Kanwar.
Thank you very much, but it's thanks to you for setting the meeting up. Derek? Really nice guy, straight talking, very knowledgeable and impressive to watch installing and setting up the Sole. I was very honoured to have met him in person, hopefully we'll get another chance to talk after he's done more listening to it.

You my friend are too modest with respect to the help you have given Analogue innovation in the promotion of our product so I now wish to say that you are our chosen dealer for the German market.

Regards

John R.
Thanks John, I humbly accept. Considering that Germany is one of the top Linn importers, there are a hell of a lot of LP 12’s out here. So you might have your work load cut out for you for a good while.
All the best, Kanwar.

Hi Nik, yes you are correct. I barely had my bearings straight.... Had a wonderful time and am looking forward to next years show

Cheers!

I recently had the Sole Subchassis installed on my LP12 by John R of Analogue Innovation. What a huge overall improvement it has made. Now, every record I play has a real sense of occasion. It has enhanced the sound of my LP12 whilst at the same time retaining it's character, all this at what I consider to be great value for money.

But when it comes to setting up the Linn Lp12, (and most other turntables), he’s second to none.
Kanwar.

In there name of balance and fairness there are a handful of LP12 dealers who are repeatedly highly praised on hifi forums.

Peter of Cymbiosis
Colin at What You See And Hear
Derek at Studio AV
Ray at Grahams

I've spoken to all and have had my LP12 serviced by 3, and I know which one does the best job - in my ears.

Also Hamish at Sound Organisation York if you want a really obsessive job good pricing and someone who understands the need to look after his customers!
I understand Greenstreet chassis is basically a Keel copy and would be my choice (were I still trying to make an LP12 work) The Rubikon of this parish would also be on the list with the Sole.

In there name of balance and fairness there are a handful of LP12 dealers who are repeatedly highly praised on hifi forums.

Peter of Cymbiosis
Derek at Studio AV
Ray at Grahams

I've spoken to all and have had my LP12 serviced by 3, and I know which one does the best job - in my ears.
Chris Henry at Overture in Banbury.

Well, some seem to spend their time posting on Internet forums and some seem to spend it setting up LP 12s. And I know which I prefer...

Can't wait to have my turntable time managed....

I think it's great that folks knowledgeable on the LP12 share information on the Internet. I myself have benefitted greatly as I'm sure others have as well.
Not sure what your beef is. :confused:

Well, some seem to spend their time posting on Internet forums and some seem to spend it setting up LP 12s. And I know which I prefer...

Peter of Cymbiosis
Derek at Studio AV
Ray at Grahams

Beef - what are you on about?

I got the impression you had a beef with dealers who posted on hi-fi forums.

advertisement

Back