advertisement

Stack Audio LP12 Sub-chassis

Well Stack do have some dealers listed on their website...

Many companies only sell via dealers so do not have a conflict with direct sales. Even where they do sell direct, their prices too would normally be the same as dealer prices also.

Ok, to be fair to Linn, their overheads are high in comparison to a small business, many more staff, bigger premises, bigger marketing costs etc etc. On the other hand though, their production costs per unit should be lower if they are producing much greater numbers..I guess the latter nowhere near compensates
for the former though.
The set up costs will be roughly the same, I think the Keel is over priced, did at the time of it coming out & it stopped my upgrade urge.

I do wonder how successful the Keel has been for Linn, it has opened the door for further 3rd party upgrades I guess.

The set up costs will be roughly the same, I think the Keel is over priced, did at the time of it coming out & it stopped my upgrade urge.

I do wonder how successful the Keel has been for Linn, it has opened the door for further 3rd party upgrades I guess.

Yes I would agree...

The cheapest turntable Linn sell costs three and a half grand! And don't blame the far East. Rega manage to build a full range of turntables to suit all budgets right here in the UK. The cheapest integrated amplifier Rega make costs less than £400. Linn? Three grand.

What Linn made decades ago is irrelevant. Today they do not display any commitment to budget buyers, none at all.

Well I guess that Linn have always pitched themselves at the middle to higher end of the market..

To put things in perspective a little, I paid circa £900 in 1990 for my original LP12 with Akito Mk1 arm, K18 cartridge, black liner bearing and sub-chassis and Valhalla PSU.. with inflation alone, that would cost £2,300 in 2021.
The new Majik Turntable at £3,500 has the Krane Tonearm, Adikt cartridge, Karousel bearing and Majik Sub-chassis and PSU. I would consider that the cost of those upgrades would easily justify the £1,200 price difference..

Hope that helps a little...

If the keel were over priced linn wouldn’t sell any and they would have to drop the price.

It may be more than you can afford or justify spending, which is a different thing altogether.

If the over priced linn wouldn’t sell any and they would have to drop the price.

It may be more than you can afford or justify spending, which is a different thing altogether.[/QUOTE]

Of course the Keel is over-priced, and no, it would not stop Linn fans buying it, and if I still had my Linn I probably be daft enough too. Being over-priced has never stopped people buying stuff, especially in the world of Art/Paintings, believe it or not some bloody fool spent a fortune on a 'painting' were the 'artist' had chucked different colour paints on and stamped all over it. :eek:

If the keel were over priced linn wouldn’t sell any and they would have to drop the price.

It may be more than you can afford or justify spending, which is a different thing altogether.

Perhaps the better term to use would be "Very Expensive", rather than "Over Priced". Linn clearly set their LP12 component prices at a level that they feel Linn owners are prepared to spend when searching for achieving the Holy Grail of the best that Linn can offer. Of course it has to fit in with the pricing of the higher end LP12 Klimax pricing too. I agree that people will weigh up what they can justify spending and with several alternative 3rd party options available, some will choose to spend considerably less than £2,660.

There’s so much more machining work and material cost to a keel over say a PU7 tone arm.

The keel is constantly derided as expensive and the pu7 is touted as the bargain of the century.

People are funny.

There’s so much more machining work and material cost to a keel over say a PU7 tone arm.

The keel is constantly derided as expensive and the pu7 is touted as the bargain of the century.

People are funny.
Well I guess "Value For Money" is perceived as the "Perceived Benefit, Quality and Durability of the item" versus the "Cost".. that "Perception" will of course differ from person to person.. After all, not everybody who could afford a "Rolls Royce" would actually purchase one..

Well I guess "Value For Money" is perceived as the "Perceived Benefit, Quality and Durability of the item" versus the "Cost".. that "Perception" will of course differ from person to person.. After all, not everybody who could afford a "Rolls Royce" would actually purchase one..

Indeed!
Alun - I've made the decision to go for a full Soprano stack with Karousel & Lingo IV. The deck will also be armed with the Blackbird SUPATRAC arm. So a unique combination.
and effectively a new turntable - my feet matt, out plater and Perspex lib may survive the transformation.

Most likely mid Autumn - but you are welcome to come over and have a listen.

Indeed!
Alun - I've made the decision to go for a full Soprano stack with Karousel & Lingo IV. The deck will also be armed with the Blackbird SUPATRAC arm. So a unique combination.
and effectively a new turntable - my feet matt, out plater and Perspex lib may survive the transformation.

Most likely mid Autumn - but you are welcome to come over and have a listen.

A very interesting and unique decision, I would be intrigued to hear it in due course.. Hope are you delighted with it..

A very interesting and unique decision, I would be intrigued to hear it in due course.. Hope are you delighted with it..

A leap into the dark - but what the hell. Should work ;-)
I like small high engineering quality UK companies. Both SUPATRAC & StackAudio are great to deal with.

The Keel is one part made from a slab of alloy in two passes, top and bottom surfaces, anodizing then one more pass, far far less work than a something like a tonearm made of multiple parts requiring tighter tolerance and more than one machine to make it, nevermind the hand assembly.

The Keel is one part made from a slab of alloy in two passes, top and bottom surfaces, anodizing then one more pass, far far less work than a something like a tonearm made of multiple parts requiring tighter tolerance and more than one machine to make it, nevermind the hand assembly.

I mean, once the initial CAD work is done it's just a case of chucking a billet in the machine and hitting go, surely? Money for jam.

I delivered my old Sondek (which I bought in 1984) to Infidelity today. A decade ago I decided to cease upgrading and spend no more money on it because I wasn't that impressed with the Keel/Radikal/EkosSE upgrades. But a Stack sub-chassis and a Karousel are more affordable and for the first time in a decade I'm tempted to spend a bit on the old girl. The other day I had a chat with the proprietor of Stack who is charming and who inspired my confidence. I would now be able to justify the spend as product research ;-)

Hitesh noticed that my Sondek's bearing was pre-Cirkus, to my surprise. I was certain that I had upgraded. Then I remembered that when I decided not to fork out for the Klimax upgrades I took the deck back to its lowest configuration with a view to selling the more valuable parts. I have a Cirkus bearing and sub-platter sitting in a box somewhere. A Stack and Karousel would still allow me to sell the now ubiquitous Cirkus kit.

Stop me from climbing back onto the Sondek upgrade ladder after a decade with no upgraditis! ;-)

I have the Karousel with the Stack Alto sub-chassis and arm-board fitted with a PU7. Sounds pretty damned good to me...

advertisement

Back