advertisement

Stack Audio LP12 Sub-chassis

To me that's getting in £10,000 handbag territory. There is nothing about the manufacture of the product that justifies the price tag. They are obviously just trying to charge what they think they can get away with.

Umm.. I wonder what the dealer margin would be on the Keel? Possibly north of £1,000 maybe ?

Umm.. I wonder what the dealer margin would be on the Keel?

High.

It is also a little known fact that dealers get different margins on different products and from different manufactures. This is true on anything, not just Hi-Fi, and of course it is going to effect how keen the dealer is to sell you different products.

High.

It is also a little known fact that dealers get different margins on different products and from different manufactures. This is true on anything, not just Hi-Fi, and of course it is going to effect how keen the dealer is to sell you different products.

Yes and given the price of the Keel, VAT is approaching £500 of the cost too...

I thought most dealer margins were in the 40-45% range. Save cables, where it can be up to 80%.

Well it would still be an awful lot of money coupled with approaching £500 in VAT as well.. Linn usually build in a dealer fitting margin into the price too I believe..
All in all it goes a long way towards the high prices.
In comparison, Greenstreet Audio prices would have no dealer margins given that they sell direct to the public..

High.

Dealers will often get different margins from the same manufacturer depending on how much of the product line they stock and how much stock they shift.

This is called incentives and I suspect many companies utilise such 21st century ideas today.

The Stack equivalent of the Keel is £1500, no dealer margin or fitting margin. Not a million miles away from what Linn will be actually making on a Keel.

The Stack equivalent of the Keel is £1500, no dealer margin or fitting margin. Not a million miles away from what Linn will be actually making on a Keel.

I enquired about this a few weeks ago... Manufacturing costs are high in the first place and of course VAT still accounts for around £250 as well.
I think you will find that the purchase cost is identical if sold via a dealer or direct. Sold via a dealer of course it does include a dealer margin.. The cost is identical via both routes to market so as not to undercut dealer prices if it were sold direct, so as not to place dealers at a disadvantage..

I was talking to a friend the other week about the ludicrous cost of Linn upgrades and I said 'Linn are not interested in selling to people like us. They are targeting people for whom the price is irrelevant'.

I remember buying a Linn Classik for my parents. It cost a grand, sounded absolutely superb, and is still in use. You could perhaps find budget components that competed with it at the time, but not in such a well designed and simple package. I don't think it's fair to say that Linn doesn't attempt to cater for lower budget customers, but it's hard to compete with sweat shop factories in the East. Some of Linn's lower price kit is quite tasty. Maybe they don't ace everything, but they do get stuck in. Now that the flat earth stranglehold has been released, it would be a very sad day to see Linn exit the market.

I enquired about this a few weeks ago... Manufacturing costs are high in the first place and of course VAT still accounts for around £250 as well.
I think you will find that the purchase cost is identical if sold via a dealer or direct. Sold via a dealer of course it does include a dealer margin.. The cost is identical via both routes to market so as not to undercut dealer prices if it were sold direct, so as not to place dealers at a disadvantage..
I wasn’t aware Stack had dealers? Learn something new every day

I don't think it's fair to say that Linn doesn't attempt to cater for lower budget customers...

The cheapest turntable Linn sell costs three and a half grand! And don't blame the far East. Rega manage to build a full range of turntables to suit all budgets right here in the UK. The cheapest integrated amplifier Rega make costs less than £400. Linn? Three grand.

What Linn made decades ago is irrelevant. Today they do not display any commitment to budget buyers, none at all.

Linn have always been at a higher budget level than Rega. It is the latter that have widened their range & gone up market.

My first & only Rega amp was a Brio at £200, Naim/Linn entry level integrated were, I think, £700-800 at the time. Back then you started with Rega & then jumped to another brand for higher end stuff. I don’t think either brand has comparable models now?

I think the least expensive Naim integrated is the 5si for $1690 USD.

Seems like a grand leap from my first Nait 1 for $400 USD - though that was admittedly back around 1986 or so.

I wasn’t aware Stack had dealers? Learn something new every day

Well Stack do have some dealers listed on their website...

Many companies only sell via dealers so do not have a conflict with direct sales. Even where they do sell direct, their prices too would normally be the same as dealer prices also.

Ok, to be fair to Linn, their overheads are high in comparison to a small business, many more staff, bigger premises, bigger marketing costs etc etc. On the other hand though, their production costs per unit should be lower if they are producing much greater numbers..I guess the latter nowhere near compensates
for the former though.

I remember buying a Linn Classik for my parents. It cost a grand, sounded absolutely superb, and is still in use. You could perhaps find budget components that competed with it at the time, but not in such a well designed and simple package. I don't think it's fair to say that Linn doesn't attempt to cater for lower budget customers, but it's hard to compete with sweat shop factories in the East. Some of Linn's lower price kit is quite tasty. Maybe they don't ace everything, but they do get stuck in. Now that the flat earth stranglehold has been released, it would be a very sad day to see Linn exit the market.

Yes it would be a tragedy to see Linn exit the market...

I think the least expensive Naim integrated is the 5si for $1690 USD.

Seems like a grand leap from my first Nait 1 for $400 USD - though that was admittedly back around 1986 or so.

$400 in 1986 would be $991.59 in 2021.

advertisement

Back