advertisement

Squeezebox Touch £134.99 at Amazon UK

What on earth is foo about two completely different DACS sounding different?

What on earth is foo about Keith's £300 DAC sounding better than the DAC inside a modestly priced network player?

Enjoy your music Basil. :)

DACs chips are cheap, man...

P.S.

There is another way to check, using two sync'd squeezeboxes, I'll see if you can figure it out...

You figured it out yet?

Back to Basil

I have hundreds of CDs so no chance of me ripping. And I have a (second-hand) Krell CD player so no chance of that being redundant before it gives up.....

It is simply about access to radio for me (for the time being) - either/both of new stations that i can't get non-internet wise, or better sound quality over my Sansui tuner (which appears unlikely on a consistent basis)

You would generally find a step down in radio quality, but you do get access to additional stations of course. Depending on your room/TV setup you could also potentially gain those additional channels via an analogue out from a freesat/freeview box.

Whats the appeal of these units?

Just wondering as i use my PC as a server & use my phone as a client to remotely control playback, but i can play back everything on my media server via the phone aswell if i like, this is using JRiver & is totally free (apart from the phone) and you can have multiroom etc...if you don't have a smartphone you could use a tablet/iPad

what isit the SBT does that's special? just cheaper than getting an iPad for a remote controller or something?

i think it's because it can sit nicely between a file source and a dac or whatever downstream and provides a user interface onto the music listings. i personally do not want to have to boot up one of my pc's every time i want to listen to music so i'll be looking to dump it all onto a usb hdd and run it through the sb to a dac etc etc.

You would generally find a step down in radio quality, but you do get access to additional stations of course. Depending on your room/TV setup you could also potentially gain those additional channels via an analogue out from a freesat/freeview box.

There's an idea! I have a freesat box lying around unused somewhere..... I don't recall it having phono connectors on it but need to remind myself. That would be a straightforward way of getting extra channels! Will investigate this week...

i think it's because it can sit nicely between a file source and a dac or whatever downstream and provides a user interface onto the music listings. i personally do not want to have to boot up one of my pc's every time i want to listen to music so i'll be looking to dump it all onto a usb hdd and run it through the sb to a dac etc etc.

Gotcha ;)

The Squeezebox Touch server is much slower than the main deal running on a PC.

why? is the SBT very slow to index the HDD contents?

I'm not sure why, this is not from personal experience but there seems to be numerous reports of this facility not being up to scratch. I have seen it on this and other forums.
I was initially looking into just connecting a 1TB hard drive to one and was warned it probably would'nt work in many cases. It could be indexing as you say John.

yes, i've heard this intermittently. some people seem to have issues for some reason. i might well try an sdd to see if that makes a difference.

Whats the appeal of these units?

Just wondering as i use my PC as a server & use my phone as a client to remotely control playback, but i can play back everything on my media server via the phone aswell if i like, this is using JRiver & is totally free (apart from the phone) and you can have multiroom etc...if you don't have a smartphone you could use a tablet/iPad

what isit the SBT does that's special? just cheaper than getting an iPad for a remote controller or something?

My situation is: Main PC, with (Itunes) music database, upstairs in office, HiFi system & TV downstairs in lounge. So need something to get tunes from PC to HiFi. Didn't want to use another PC/laptop to do that. It's also useful as an Internet radio.

That's disappointing.

If it worked well with a USB hard drive, you'd have no need for a NAS or a powered PC, or even a home network, in order to access your entire library. You'd have thought that it really ought to work just as well (if not better) with USB storage directly connected. The PS3 (for example) manages it very well, but doesn't have a well developed audio library interface (and requires a TV).

I was wondering if by using Squeezebox Touch or Duet it negates the need for bitperfect and other settings? I store my library on iTunes in AIFF and access via a Duet.

That's disappointing.

If it worked well with a USB hard drive, you'd have no need for a NAS or a powered PC, or even a home network, in order to access your entire library. You'd have thought that it really ought to work just as well (if not better) with USB storage directly connected. .

Agreed, it is very disappointing. Tha wholre point of the thing, for me, was to lob on a Tb hdd with all my apple lossless on it and forget all this computer stuff.

:(

Perhaps the new model will work better with a usb drive. If there is a new model of course. There must be a good reason for selling them off at nearly half price.

advertisement

Back