advertisement

So

here we are:

"So then, consider the programmed decision making of an autonmous vehicle. Discuss the ethical considerations when developing code to manage the following scenario:

(a) The vehicle will crash into and kill pedestrians as all fail safe modes have failed. The software recognises a pregnant women on the pavement, and a group of 3 young children. As a programmer you have a choice of crashing into the pregnant woman or the children. [20 marks] "

So far so good, but it’s not a published exam question yet. I’d like to think any self-respecting board would remove the two redundant words at the beginning. With the ink they save they could afford to put the correct number of ‘o’s in ‘autonomous’ as well.

Also the (a) seems to be superfluous.

My services as a proof reader are available and at a very reasonable rate.

So far so good, but it’s not a published exam question yet. I’d like to think any self-respecting board would remove the two redundant words at the beginning. With the ink they save they could afford to put the correct number of ‘o’s in ‘autonomous’ as well.

Also the (a) seems to be superfluous.

pedant - and you really are missing the point.

It was written on the fly so as a first draft written on a mobile phone one might expect some errors and it being incomplete.

Oh and in HE we don't get exams approved by a "board". I am fairly certain, I could get a corrected question like this, through both internal and external moderation.

in fact I am so certain this can be done, I'm prepared to make this more interesting. If I am setting questions again for January exams, and if I don't manage to set a question like this, I'll send you 0.5 BTC from my holding.

so, I've got a PhD thesis to finish reading before tomorrow.

actually here is another:

"So, is the name of a new programming language. Describe how you would implement loop unrolling in a two parse compiler."

Laters @Marchbanks bro

Thinking aloud, is the following sentence correct:
So far as we know, the earth was held to be flat in the middle ages.
or
The earth was believed to be flat. So believing, Columbus set sail.
or
So far as was known at the time, the earth was flat.
or
So much time has passed since then, it is difficult to imagine the trepidation that the voyagers felt.
or
So many years have passed that...

so, I've got a PhD thesis to finish reading before tomorrow.

actually here is another:

"So, is the name of a new programming language. Describe how you would implement loop unrolling in a two parse compiler."

Laters @Marchbanks bro

The comma there is misplaced - I’m not allowing grammatical errors!

Should I be worried that you are offering me 0.5BTC? I’m not sure if it is a threat or a promise.

Ye gods ! Proof that proof reading didn't die before internet communication ! :) I'd say that proof reading, or at least carefully perusing one's text is even more relevant due to spell-checker and other vagaries of on-line typing.

Yes, you're probably right, inasmuch as they're forms of peer group pretentiousness.

I think starting sentences with ‘So, ...’ is the verbal equivalent of the Tory Power Pose. It is supposed to convey strength and decisiveness but only succeeds in being risible and irritating.

I'm prepared to make this more interesting. If I am setting questions again for January exams, and if I don't manage to set a question like this, I'll send you 0.5 BTC from my holding.

Thanks, but you can cut out the middle man and send it directly to the organization mentioned by Tony here. They need 0.5 BTC rather more than I do.

Last edited:
Ye gods ! Proof that proof reading didn't die before internet communication ! :) I'd say that proof reading, or at least carefully perusing one's text is even more relevant due to spell-checker and other vagaries of on-line typing.
You should try documents butchered by auto tranlators. I once had a document thrust in my hand with the instruction "just flick through this Steve and issue it, I've put it through Google translate so all it needs is to be put in the right format". It was, needless to say, crap, and by turns incomprehensible and hilarious. One section had the operator checking a bag for "tears", by which I mean water from your eyes and not torn sections, because Google Translate doen't know the difference between tears and tears. I was 2 hours turning it into French that was comprehensible.

Thinking aloud, is the following sentence correct:

So far as we know, the Earth was held to be flat in the middle ages.
or
The Earth was believed to be flat. So believing,* Columbus set sail.
or
So far as was known at the time, the Earth was flat.
or
So much time has passed since then, it is difficult to imagine the trepidation that the voyagers felt.
or
So many years have passed that...

Some good examples there, Steve, but 'so' is not just a conjunction but can be an adverb (*) or a sub-modifier (which is adverbial anyway). The others are paired as determinant or adverbial phrases and, although conjunctive, can begin sentences. Other examples are 'So I'm a policeman; what's wrong with that?' and 'So that's that' However, the bottom line in Tony's o.p. is that this form of usage is affectation and grammatically wrong.

GINTONIC's interesting link (can't reproduce here, unfortunately) is quite informative. Like Tony and a number of older, traditionally educated people I know, this use of 'so' to initiate a response to a question is utterly cringe-worthy and indicative of being wrong whether you know or not.

Last edited:
So...
32372172_10157357218447678_4432761176979406848_n.jpg

I know...but admit it. You laughed too...

Two members of pfm are simultaneously dropped from a tall building to which they have been lured by the promise of delivering the 2018 Paul Duerden memorial grammar lecture.

They are of identical mass.
They take 7 and 8 seconds respectively to come to complete rest.

a) Create a single mathematical expression that reduces the number of variables to a minimum, including cross sectional area, of the two pfm members. List all of the variables.

b) Calculate the probability that either of the dropped bodies will ever bitch about grammar again.

Assume air pressure of one bar, g to be constant over the full height of the building, and maniacal laughing to be emanating from the roof of the building.

Two members of pfm are simultaneously dropped from a tall building to which they have been lured by the promise of delivering the 2018 Paul Duerden memorial grammar lecture.

They are of identical mass.
They take 7 and 8 seconds respectively to come to complete rest.

a) Create a single mathematical expression that reduces the number of variables to a minimum, including cross sectional area, of the two pfm members. List all of the variables.

b) Calculate the probability that either of the dropped bodies will ever bitch about grammar again.

Assume air pressure of one bar, g to be constant over the full height of the building, and maniacal laughing to be emanating from the roof of the building.
Can we approximate the shape of the pfm members as cylinders, or would spheres be closer to it?

advertisement

Back