advertisement

So

I had a long discussion with some fellow historians recently about the past, present and the future. It was a tense debate !

ancient-grammar-police.png

zYOpnhD.jpg

This picture has nothing to do with the thread but Swampy's comic prompted me to post it.

Joe

No idea what the 'Daily Mash' is, but it puts into vernacular what has been the overriding theme of this thread; i.e. that it's pretentious affectation, grammatically all at sea and comes from the mouths/keyboards of linguistic plonkers.

I'm afraid I struggle with 'vernobular', 'affection' and all those other difficult words you use with more than two sibbellels - do you mean 'Nail. Head.'?

"This was first noted by Michael Lewis in The New New Thing (1999)- “When a computer programmer answers a question, he often begins with the word ‘so’.” As to how this came about, it is thought that given the international composition of the typical Silicon Valley work site, where a large number did not speak English as their first language, it became the simple “catchall” word of transition. Over time and frequent usage, it eventually became like a tic and just part of the common speech pattern of those in that industry and then spreading beyond."

Before the recent backlash, I think some corporate types and media talking heads were actually being trained or encouraged to do this. They think it adds "authority" to the response.

advertisement

Back