advertisement

Silly things that amuse

blob

At a recent family occasion I was talking to my Niece who lives in Brighton.
She has a few tattoos, and proudly showed me her newest Tattoo, which is on her forearm.
Niece was shocked to hear from me how the Skull & Crossbones tattoo is very close to the regimental badge of famous/infamous band of soldiers.
very close to this, without the pennants!
She hasn’t shown the tattoo to her mother yet.

This record is in the latest batch of Headway charity donations, and reminded me.

IMG-1729.jpg

News of the day...woman does not win the lottery

Like they say, a miss is as good as a mile.
Stupid thing about that article is that it (unsurprisingly) totally misunderstands how probablity works. She was in fact no closer to winning the prize than if she'd had literally any other set of numbers, none of which matched any of those that came up.

Also, for someone of her age even winning the top prize wouldn't be close to being "set for life", the money would have run out at 53 and almost certainly she wouldn't have managed what she was receiving to have had anything left over at the end of the 30 years (not that it would be worth anything like what it would today after 30 years of depreciation).

Alan Titchmarsh's legs were blurred out on North Korean tv yesterday because he wore jeans. This story amused me.

Alan Titchmarsh. On North Korean state TV. With blurred trousers on. Fantastic.

Capt

A young doctor with a dry sense of humour. I'm just been through one of those MOT's that us (relative) oldies are encouraged to have regularly. Following blood tests, I was granted a telephone 'appointment' with a Doc, a full two weeks away, and on a Saturday afternoon, to discuss the results. I was thus compelled to field the lowdown on my health whilst serving customers in my shop, which somehow I managed. He ran through the various levels, and finished on my PSA, which he (thankfully) told me was low. I mentioned though that there was a certain reticence on the part of the pee to flow, and that my brother was going to have to endure a transurethral resection, for which I used slightly inaccurate terminology. He corrected me, saying 'worry not at all, its for you to know the correct terminology for matter vinous, and me to know the correct terminology for matters medical'. He then asked me when I had last had physical prostate check, to which I replied some 7 years ago. He replied 'Why don't you pop in on Friday after work, and I'll give you a quick check over'. I duly visited the surgery on the Friday evening, and was called in. As I walked through the door of the consulting room, I took my jacket off. He looked up from his desk and said...

'A good start...'

A couple of weeks later I accompanied my elderly mother, who has been suffering from a persistent cough, to the surgery. We found ourselves with the same young doctor in the same consulting room. In describing the symptoms, I used the example of my making mother a cup of tea every evening, with which she liked to have a chocolate digestive, and that as soon as she took the first bite she would immediately start coughing. He thought for a few seconds, and then, wearing a serious expression, looked up and asked my mother, 'Which way up... do you take the biscuit?'

advertisement

Back