advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

Richard - one thing too consider - R&D Tax Credits. Development time gone into SUPATRAC should qualify. Not huge numbers - but may help.

Best Wishes
Richard
Unless Richard has paid himself as a director of his limited company during the R&D process (and I doubt he has, but obviously I am just guessing) there will be no qualifying personnel costs so his time cannot be claimed.

He could claim materials/consumables for the prototypes and any subcontracting costs incurred, but if this does not add up to much it's probably not worth his time.

Furthermore, as above it would only work if he had a registered and 'going concern' limited company under which the R&D took place.

Unless Richard has paid himself as a director of his limited company during the R&D process (and I doubt he has, but obviously I am just guessing) there will be no qualifying personnel costs so his time cannot be claimed.

He could claim materials/consumables for the prototypes and any subcontracting costs incurred, but if this does not add up to much it's probably not worth his time.

Furthermore, as above it would only work if he had a registered and 'going concern' limited company under which the R&D took place.
All true. However - R&D is usually ongoing - so worth considering (speaking from experience) going forwards.

All true. However - R&D is usually ongoing - so worth considering (speaking from experience) going forwards.
R&D funding is what I do for a job and yes it’s worth considering but it’s a different landscape at HMRC now than a couple of years back (they’ve obviously been told to police the scheme properly but are being somewhat heavy handed) so unless it’s worth a good bit of money and ergo you use someone well versed in the claim process to handle it for you it’s likely to bring more pain than benefit.

I don't think we need to start Richard off on political matters, it may not go down too well.
My take here is not political. R&D tax credits were created to promote innovation and that is what I try to do in my work. They are one of a number of options but if Richard is not comfortable with availing himself thus then that is absolutely his decision and is to be respected.

R&D funding is what I do for a job and yes it’s worth considering but it’s a different landscape at HMRC now than a couple of years back (they’ve obviously been told to police the scheme properly but are being somewhat heavy handed) so unless it’s worth a good bit of money and ergo you use someone well versed in the claim process to handle it for you it’s likely to bring more pain than benefit.
It's fantastic to have someone who lives and breathes it and can give Richard all the info to make an informed decision - all too often the internet experts weigh in with at best ropey advice on subjects they know little about.

For those who still haven't heard enough from me, Roy Gregory has posted a blog post with an interview from a couple of months ago:

https://gy8.eu/blog/work-in-progress/

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this.
DaInkkU.gif

It's fantastic to have someone who lives and breathes it and can give Richard all the info to make an informed decision - all too often the internet experts weigh in with at best ropey advice on subjects they know little about.
No worries and I sent him a PM at Xmas about it and am happy to help him if he would like that, but I also appreciate it’s not for everyone.

I am always grateful for advice, even from those who advise me to eff orf! How would I know when to do so without their kind help! ;-)

Like many people I have a deep fear of bureaucracy, paperwork and accountancy. Sorting out the patent applications was tough enough. I might set my wife on these interesting advice as she has far more perseverance with forms, box-ticking, and getting the books to add up. I'm far too busy trying to be Caractacus Potts...

As an owner/operator of a small manufacturing business I can fully understand the desire to focus on my core business and not on government programs even if they provide 'free' cash/other programs as the time needed to do so outweighs the benefit (in my case) of that time spent on more relevant production needs.

Just be wary of private investors if you go down that route, look what happened to Kralk Audio.

Not that I think you're considering that anyway just thought I'd mention it.

I listened to this arm at the Bristol show and it performed very impressively indeed. It sure looks weird compared to other arms, but you do not buy a product like this to look at, you buy it listen to your records with! To be sure, no product is flaw free, but this arm, this design, is a joy to listen to LPs with. That Mr Fremer is so endeared with it, despite the challenges he had with set-up, is high praise indeed coming from one of the most vehement, and highly invested fans of vinyl on the planet! Well done Richard! It was a pleasure meeting you at the show and enjoying your taste in music! :)

I listened to this arm at the Bristol show and it performed very impressively indeed. It sure looks weird compared to other arms, but you do not buy a product like this to look at, you buy it listen to your records with! To be sure, no product is flaw free, but this arm, this design, is a joy to listen to LPs with. That Mr Fremer is so endeared with it, despite the challenges he had with set-up, is high praise indeed coming from one of the most vehement, and highly invested fans of vinyl on the planet! Well done Richard! It was a pleasure meeting you at the show and enjoying your taste in music! :)
Thank you! I have said this before, but meeting fellow music and vinyl fans at the shows is a great pleasure and I really look forward to each show because of the friendly folks I meet. It's one of the chief perks of the job!

advertisement

Back