advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

Well, it had to happen, I suppose, but I've just spotted the first used Blackbird for sale in Canada. Not surprisingly the arm has never been mounted. I can't imagine someone selling one after hearing it ;-)

Well, it had to happen, I suppose, but I've just spotted the first used Blackbird for sale in Canada. Not surprisingly the arm has never been mounted. I can't imagine someone selling one after hearing it ;-)

It turns out that the reasons for this are nothing to do with the arm, but other unforeseen circumstances.

On the verge of Michael Fremer's review, I just want to say thank you once again to all the folk who have kindly tendered advice and thoughtful opinions on my product and my efforts to establish it.

Below is just one example of the kind of accurately prescient advice which has helped me to get this far with my risky and unfamiliar project. Thank you all for being interested and offering help. Thanks especially to those who have actually bought a Blackbird, in many cases without even being able to hear one first. I love hearing from customers about how much listening pleasure they are having with their new arms.

With the Fremer review loaded in the breach, it feels to me as if this is the end of the first chapter. It has been a hella ride!

It's a marketing question that has too many variables to answer. In YOUR opinion the arm is better than the ekos. But if it has no pedigree or brand recognition behind it it doesn't much matter. And don't start with SAT as a comparable, that's the exception, not the rule, and that also launched with the ultimate review from the ultimate publisher.

You have to consider the following:

Is there anything innovative or unique about the design? That would be the marketing 'hook'.

Does it have certain sex appeal?

Is it flexible in terms of what it could be installed with?

How featured is it? (vta, azimuth, sra, alignment all on the fly or....?)

How well built is it? (the public will ultimately know)

And then what branding can be applied. Is there a future larger family of products or is this just a one-off. Etc.

A good starting point is Hana. They made great carts, with a history of oem, under their own name, for very cheap. They sold and got well reviewed. Then they introduced a pricier guy. Now they have earned the right to an expensive one.

It's too tough to answer "if my tonearm kicks an ekos arse how much can I charge?" because there are too many unknowns. But the simple answer is that until you've established a brand, you have to start much, much cheaper.

Can't be said you haven't taken advice on board, both with the myriad improvements, availability and path to market.

On the verge of Michael Fremer's review, I just want to say thank you once again to all the folk who have kindly tendered advice and thoughtful opinions on my product and my efforts to establish it.

Below is just one example of the kind of accurately prescient advice which has helped me to get this far with my risky and unfamiliar project. Thank you all for being interested and offering help. Thanks especially to those who have actually bought a Blackbird, in many cases without even being able to hear one first. I love hearing from customers about how much listening pleasure they are having with their new arms.

With the Fremer review loaded in the breach, it feels to me as if this is the end of the first chapter. It has been a hella ride!
So few people starting a business listen to the criticisms thrown their way. Richard, you've done this in spades.

It seems you are poised to have great success, which you should wholeheartedly enjoy and build upon. Thanks so much for including the community in this endeavour.

What's most interesting to me is that sometimes someone has built a better mousetrap, but even when it's in front of you, it's tough to discern.

Hats off Richard.

SUPATRAC will have a room at the Bristol show. If my plan comes together I will be running a/b comparisons between a Naia and a Planar 10 with Blackbird. Sadly I could not stretch to a pair of Naias. I should also have Reference Fidelity Components Rubato speakers. As it stands I have only ever heard some of these components briefly in unfamiliar systems and do not have them in my possession yet, so the results will be an experiment but I hope it will prove interesting and fun for visitors. I look forward to seeing you there.

SUPATRAC will have a room at the Bristol show. If my plan comes together I will be running a/b comparisons between a Naia and a Planar 10 with Blackbird. Sadly I could not stretch to a pair of Naias. I should also have Reference Fidelity Components Rubato speakers. As it stands I have only ever heard some of these components briefly in unfamiliar systems and do not have them in my possession yet, so the results will be an experiment but I hope it will prove interesting and fun for visitors. I look forward to seeing you there.

Richard - wish I could get over there! Would like to have listened to the Rubato's - Anyway have fun!

advertisement

Back