advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

It's going to look quite nice on a Sondek:

onsondek1.jpg

onsondek2.jpg

onsondek3.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting :)

Something very ‘fighter jet’ about that compound mitre at the front.

What’s the thinking behind the cross-section of the arm tube being wider than it is taller?

Interesting :)

Something very ‘fighter jet’ about that compound mitre at the front.

What’s the thinking behind the cross-section of the arm tube being wider than it is taller?

It's wide enough to take a cartridge without the need for the additional weight and cost of a headshell junction. The horizontal cross-section is 4mm, the vertical 2mm, so what it lacks in height it makes up for in material. Unlike a tube, the vertical and horizontal modes of vibration are not very similar. The goals, after cartridge mounting, were stiffness, low mass, ease of production, and low resonance, probably in that order.

If it works and sounds good it really doesn’t matter what it looks like. Once the concept is proven the design can be refined aesthetically.

If it works and sounds good it really doesn’t matter what it looks like. Once the concept is proven the design can be refined aesthetically.

Don't you believe that functional and aesthetical go together? I experimented that a tonearm sounds how it looks. If it is not geometrically resolved, it is not sonically resolved. If it's badly shaped and its mass are badly distributed it doesn't perform good.
For me it's improbable that a naive designed tonearm can sound good.
I'm not referring to this thread but to arms put on the market and followed by someone as a reference object. Those guys are blinded by the marketing skilling of the maker.

It looks like an interesting design and if it went into production it would no doubt be tidied up a bit.

Personally I think the prototype is ugly but, that said, we all have preconceptions of what a tonearm ‘should’ look like. When something comes along that’s radically different from accepted norms it jars with our sense of what’s right. There are countless examples throughout history - look at radical designs in cars / aviation etc. that were initially hated but are now considered beautiful.

Personally I think the prototype is ugly but, that said, we all have preconceptions of what a tonearm ‘should’ look like.

Yes; I think the Dynavector arm is a beautiful thing to behold, but I also love the simplicity of the Aro too and I love the chunkiness and the shiny blackness of the Zeta as well.

Hi booja30, if form and function are not necessarily interdependent try to use squared ball bearings.
Consider architecture. If form was strictly derived from function then many of the world's most iconic structures would be unrecognizable. Of course, some were very forms very much driven by function. But for many others, function was less important. Is it wrong to prioritize factors other than function in every case?

advertisement

Back