advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

It's all very interesting speculating like crazy about this new wonder product but as yet, it doesn't exist. Not in the real, consumer world. There is a big difference between having a good idea and turning that idea into boxes in shops, especially boxes people actually want to buy. So many things you need to get right.

For instance it's worth noting that a lot of people dislike unipivots. Despite being simpler to make and sounding good, no budget manufacturer makes one. ProJect used to but they dropped them, I don't know why. Even at the higher end they are still niche products. They are perceived as being fragile and tricky, heaven help you if it actually is!

So at the minute all we've got is the guy who made something we've not seen or heard saying it's really good! I hope it turns into an actual likable product.

I’ve never understood the appeal of the Naim Aro unipivot but they appear on some seriously top spec record players and lots of people consider it the pinnacle.

I suspect there’s something it’s getting right that’s very low on my priorities but clearly high on theirs.

The worry might be that Sonddek has designed the very best tonearm in the world (for sonddek) and that everyone else just goes meh.

I’ve never understood the appeal of the Naim Aro unipivot but they appear on some seriously top spec record players and lots of people consider it the pinnacle.

I suspect there’s something it’s getting right that’s very low on my priorities but clearly high on theirs.

The worry might be that Sonddek has designed the very best tonearm in the world (for sonddek) and that everyone else just goes meh.

You're right, it is a divisive product. I own one. That being said I don't think it's heads and shoulders above others, just different with it's own sets of attribute.

I've found that on a naim'd table, it has great flow, dynamics, impact, and ease of presentation. I think an LP12 with a comparable lingo/Ekos vs. 'Geddon/Aro perhaps has a bit more richness, depth, smoothiness, sweetness, etc. But I like the snap and drive and kind of "Freedom" sound that the aro brings.

I'm not married to it. But I haven't regretted getting it.

I went from an Ekos 2 to an Aro when Peter Swain allowed me to hear both on Keels. The Keel does more for the Aro I think than for the Ekos, it took only a few songs to hear the extra flow, depth and smoothness but without the bass loss which impacted the Aro on the old sub chassis (this was before Kore etc, about 10 years ago). If you’ve never heard one without a Keel you should try to do so.

I went from an Ekos 2 to an Aro when Peter Swain allowed me to hear both on Keels. The Keel does more for the Aro I think than for the Ekos, it took only a few songs to hear the extra flow, depth and smoothness but without the bass loss which impacted the Aro on the old sub chassis (this was before Kore etc, about 10 years ago). If you’ve never heard one without a Keel you should try to do so.
I cheaped out, and got a Greenstreet Sub instead for my LP12/ARO. I can confirm it was the most impactful upgrade I've made to the old fruitbox since changing from Ittok LVII to ARO over 20 years ago.

^ I was gonna do the same thing but was too scared about the inability to change geometry and on my Lyra it is NOT ideal at all (I can't remember if it should have 211 or 211.5 or 212.5 or whatever the case is but what if I change carts again later??), so, I'm kinda pissed at the aro situation.

^ I was gonna do the same thing but was too scared about the inability to change geometry and on my Lyra it is NOT ideal at all (I can't remember if it should have 211 or 211.5 or 212.5 or whatever the case is but what if I change carts again later??), so, I'm kinda pissed at the aro situation.
I recall the GS is 1mm out in one direction or the other, which compensates for the use of Lyra carts over the Troika. I'm happy to limit myself to carts with an 8.0 - 9.5mm stylus tip to mounting axis distance. That thankfully includes Hana.

Have you heard that difference with radikal/karousel? I suspect you might further revise your opinion?

Have you heard that difference with radikal/karousel? I suspect you might further revise your opinion?

I had a Radikal at the time already, and no, not heard a Karousel yet. I sold the LP12 in the end - had invested too much money for the usage I was able to get from it at the time (work, kids etc) and bought a Rega RP8 instead, which has worked out really well.

Nuff said!

Well, I did it with a heavy heart at the time - but with hindsight it was a great thing to do. I much prefer the Rega as a "fit and forget" solution and to my cloth ears at least :) I think it sounds in some ways better than any incarnation of my LP12 did.

Just playing Abbey Road (the recent remaster) on it now with my new (to me) MFA 632 step-up in the system too and it sounds absolutely wonderful.

YMMV of course!

advertisement

Back