advertisement

Show off your 2014 builds what plans for 2015?

My last build of 2014 just completed and just running overnight to ensure its stable. I ran out to heat shrink so need to revisit it and get some strain relief on the wired Jack connections. automated sequencer that generates it's own sequences with parameters that can be played around with... It is an... autechre-izer...

My last build of 2014 by c-g., on Flickr

I need more white knobs.... Ally ones arrived...

Sorry none of this is HiFi. we need more Synth Kraut Noise Avant Garde Space Rock stuff on this forum...building makes me feel human and human makes me feel like making noise and noise makes me consider the implications of pressing it up on plates of spiny things 200 or so at a time...

My last build of 2014 just completed and just running overnight to ensure its stable. I ran out to heat shrink so need to revisit it and get some strain relief on the wired Jack connections. automated sequencer that generates it's own sequences with parameters that can be played around with... It is an... autechre-izer...

My last build of 2014 by c-g., on Flickr

I need more white knobs.... Ally ones arrived...

Sorry none of this is HiFi. we need more Synth Kraut Noise Avant Garde Space Rock stuff on this forum...building makes me feel human and human makes me feel like making noise and noise makes me consider the implications of pressing it up on plates of spiny things 200 or so at a time...

Of course you're absolutely barking mad but I do enjoy reading your posts and have admiration for the build you do :D

Regards
Tony

Yes, exactly. you said previously that the tweeter was in a seperate box so it easy to plug in just the tweeter to the crossover box and the woofer direct using either biwire or just solder in a bypas cable from the input to the crossover to the woofer out put, effectivly removing the woofer filter.

Just a query, would the presence of the woofer circuit, albeit disconnected at the output, have any influence on the tweeter part of the circuit ?

In reference to the pics on page 1

The bearing is mounted directly in the plywood subchassis.

Where do you tend to accumulate the parts from - the pickup arm, outboard motor, bearing and platter, etc.?

I had a look on eBay with a vague idea of cannibalising old Thorens or similar, but the prices they're fetching are ridiculous.... £1200 for a TD124, £1300 for a TD224

In reference to the pics on page 1

Where do you tend to accumulate the parts from - the pickup arm, outboard motor, bearing and platter, etc.?

I had a look on eBay with a vague idea of cannibalising old Thorens or similar, but the prices they're fetching are ridiculous.... £1200 for a TD124, £1300 for a TD224

The bearing and platter are Clearaudio items. A friend was upgrading his platter and bearing so I bought the replaced items from him. The motor is from Maxon and the sprung supports are from Solid Tech. I made pretty much everything else including the tonearm.
The next step is to machine my own bearing and platter but it's not that easy for an uneducated bloke like me but I'm going to give it a go later this year.

I made pretty much everything else including the tonearm.

The next step is to machine my own bearing and platter but it's not that easy for an uneducated bloke like me but I'm going to give it a go later this year.

You made the tonearm, and call yourself uneducated? You're WAY too modest for this world....

I'm deffo uneducated but I'm not useless ;) I made most of the parts for the tonearm with a hacksaw, a file and a pillar drill. I'm pretty sure that anyone who's adept at home diy, woodwork or whatever can do the same. The aim with the next one is to improve the finish as that's always been my stumbling block. If I can't find anyone local to anodise the parts for me I might have a go myself. I can imagine clouds of smoke and a hole in the workshop roof :D

Garrard 401 and plinth = 14kgs sits on base with six 50mm sorbothane half spheres. Granite base 16kgs with four inserts for adjustable feet.
Now building a two arm plinth using same method.

I like that very much.

Photos is easy, you click 'go advanced' when you are writing your message, when you want to insert a photo click on the small icon that looks most like a picture, what you need to enter into the popup is the URL to your image, not the page it is on, the actual image.

Hey presto

Sn1topopen_zpsd723737b.jpg

I like that very much.

Photos is easy, you click 'go advanced' when you are writing your message, when you want to insert a photo click on the small icon that looks most like a picture, what you need to enter into the popup is the URL to your image, not the page it is on, the actual image.

Hey presto

Sn1topopen_zpsd723737b.jpg

Nice work esprit

I’ve had a few 401 in my time and they are a truly great turntable. I’ve also had a nice 301 but had to say goodbye to it when I started moving around a little to much.

A really nice plinth you are building and worthy of the mighty 401.

Keep us posted.

Garrard 401 and plinth = 14kgs sits on base with six 50mm sorbothane half spheres. Granite base 16kgs with four inserts for adjustable feet.
Now building a two arm plinth using same method.

Nice, built a similar one for my 401 using marine ply just watch out for overheating the motor it generates quite a lot of heat, I had to open up the plinth around it.

Nice, built a similar one for my 401 using marine ply just watch out for overheating the motor it generates quite a lot of heat, I had to open up the plinth around it.

Good point about heat, and try it with spikes/cones instead of Sorbothane too :cool:

Hi Shoom

Happy New Year.
I'm ready to think about DIY build when you are.
What do you propose as a good start?

I

Should be completed and fitted by the end of 2014. Let listening commence in early 2015 to see what all the Teddy fuss is about.

Listening has commenced... but then sabotaged by BroadmiserableChurch.

STR (+ & - 11V feeding opamps) 1st impressions: Appreciably different to every other reg I've tried - very smooth and clear with a 'darker' balance than others. Time will tell...

advertisement

Back