advertisement

Should I buy an EV - real world advice needed.

If you can drastically reduce the UKs emissions by not exhaling please go ahead. Based on the amount of hot air produced in threads like this you may have a point.

The point being, I could drive a V12 or a Tesla, it’ll be a rounding error within my lifetime Co2 output / footprint.

EV’s have their place for the right use case, absolutely. What I cannot accept is that they are automatically the answer for everyone, they simply are not.
But absolutely nobody on this thread has ever claimed that. Neither has any government department or sensible website or organisation. I joined a Tesla mainly US forum when I first got my Tesla and there are all sorts on there and with the exception of a minuscule minority they are all very realistic about the challenges and shortcomings especially around infrastructure and high price points.

I agree with many of Harry’s points. Not sure why he needs another diesel Range Rover when he already has an older one for farm use and towing. Personally I think that is a bit of an own goal. I get wanting a new family runabout to be a nice car not a crusty farm workhorse but why a massive SUV if you are trying to make a vid on efficiency.

I am probably 2.5 years away from retirement and my future dream garage is currently a sports car, an electric runabout bought really cheap with no thought of resale and a large diesel estate or SUV for long trips carrying music gear or kayaks or other big stuff.

My apologies if I’m misreading it! Which as I’m tired is likely

“EVs with more weight may be less efficient than smaller ones, but either is objectively more efficient than any EV.”
If it was then what I actually intended to say was:
“EVs with more weight may be less efficient than smaller ones, but either is objectively more efficient than any ICE.

I stopped after “why did I end up with a diesel? It’s money.”

Surprise, surprise a die hard piston head with a room full of cars decides he can’t afford to run an EV and buys a massive SUV.

I don’t disagree with his points but in my opinion he makes far too big a deal of them, he seems to be expecting perfection. none of them are really enough to prevent a decent EV ownership experience in my view.

quite a few of his negatives will be addressed as time goes by and infrastructure and technology develops.

I agree with many of Harry’s points. Not sure why he needs another diesel Range Rover when he already has an older one for farm use and towing.
I'm a regular watcher of Harry's Farm, which gives an interesting perspective on modern farming practice and shows the use to which he puts his old Range Rover. The latter's more of a farm workhorse than something you would want to tow a large car transporter trailer long distances, or embark on continental touring trips with family and skiing gear. The chap's obviously a wealthy man, so I guess he does want something that's modern and looks nice.

But absolutely nobody on this thread has ever claimed that. Neither has any government department or sensible website or organisation. I joined a Tesla mainly US forum when I first got my Tesla and there are all sorts on there and with the exception of a minuscule minority they are all very realistic about the challenges and shortcomings especially around infrastructure and high price points.

I agree with many of Harry’s points. Not sure why he needs another diesel Range Rover when he already has an older one for farm use and towing. Personally I think that is a bit of an own goal. I get wanting a new family runabout to be a nice car not a crusty farm workhorse but why a massive SUV if you are trying to make a vid on efficiency.

I am probably 2.5 years away from retirement and my future dream garage is currently a sports car, an electric runabout bought really cheap with no thought of resale and a large diesel estate or SUV for long trips carrying music gear or kayaks or other big stuff.

Govts seem to think so. Up until very recently, new ICE vehicles would have been banned from sale in 6 years time in the UK. Wholly unrealistic, so now it’s 11 years, which I predict will be pushed back again. I don‘t like govts making sweeping changes without fully understanding the ramifications. The switch to diesel 20 years ago is a good example. They drove a wholesale change in behaviour through tax, which was later seen as wrong. History generally repeats.

On Harry’s choice of car, he’s probably not going to do family road trips in a nearly 20 year old farm truck. The diesel was £400 a month less, is reasonably economical and has proper range (as long as it doesn’t break down, it’s a JLR product after all!). I personally wouldn’t buy one but he’s entirely free to do so. The savage EV depreciation is a real issue for private buyers, no matter what their level of wealth.

I'm a regular watcher of Harry's Farm, which gives an interesting perspective on modern farming practice and shows the use to which he puts his old Range Rover. The latter's more of a farm workhorse than something you would want to tow a large car transporter trailer long distances, or embark on continental touring trips with family and skiing gear. The chap's obviously a wealthy man, so I guess he does want something that's modern and looks nice.

Indeed and I said I understand that but as a wealthy man with a stong investment in renewables, why not use his wealth to pay the extra and stay Electric or Hybrid?

Depreciation doesn't matter for most people with leases, and in any case I wonder how much depreciation is caused by the unthinking parrotting of tabloid misinformation?

If Harry Metcalfe was to just blindly lease/buy a large SUV EV, some here would criticise him for being arrogant and a fool with his money.

The video is a well balanced presentation of the reality, as it stands.

I’m sure if it was only a few quid more for that RR EV, he’d have gone for it.

The point being, I could drive a V12 or a Tesla, it’ll be a rounding error within my lifetime Co2 output / footprint.
But that's closely aligned with the defeatist argument: "what I do or don't do won't make a jot of difference so why should I change? It is for governments to deal with this". It's the argument deployed by people who don't want to face the prospect of changing their own lifestyle. I don't think you are like that, but you're in danger of talking yourself into that position.

But that's closely aligned with the defeatist argument: "what I do or don't do won't make a jot of difference so why should I change? It is for governments to deal with this". It's the argument deployed by people who don't want to face the prospect of changing their own lifestyle. I don't think you are like that, but you're in danger of talking yourself into that position.
It looks like governments have persuaded people to drive 2.5 ton behemoths, with all sorts of tax incentives. Criticise them, to their faces, not a bunch of guys here who have, generally, limited funds.

Guy at work bought a Corsa EV nearly three years ago. Can’t get rid of it. Dealers say no way!

I‘m more concerned by the fundamental cause of pretty much all problems I.e. population growth and increased consumption. Fix that and you fix everything. I do what I can practically do to minimise energy consumption and footprint (Christ, I’m even going on a train next week rather than driving…). However, as my old boss used to say, don’t sweat the small stuff.

It looks like governments have persuaded people to drive 2.5 ton behemoths, with all sorts of tax incentives. Criticise them, to their faces, not a bunch of guys here who have, generally, limited funds.

Guy at work bought a Corsa EV nearly three years ago. Can’t get rid of it. Dealers say no way!

It was an electric Corsa which started this thread. I wonder what WBAC would bid now, a mere 7 months on?!

I‘m more concerned by the fundamental cause of pretty much all problems I.e. population growth and increased consumption. Fix that and you fix everything. I do what I can practically do to minimise energy consumption and footprint (Christ, I’m even going on a train next week rather than driving…). However, as my old boss used to say, don’t sweat the small stuff.

^ This. Even if I hoon around doing 20k miles per year in a Cayenne Turbo, my impact on teh planet will still pale into insignificance compared to my peers who have chosen to have children and two overseas holidays a year.

advertisement

Back