advertisement

Should allegations of racism against the Royal family....

The purpose of he Royal family is to attract attention, the fact that a gullible public gives them that attention is beside to point. The point is that we have the number one symbol of our nation identified with the abuse of women and the cruellest of racism.........
I don't believe that to be true, IMHO most the world sees them as a tourist attraction. There symbolic status was diluted in/by politics nearly 100 years ago. They are nothing more than a relic now, again IMHO.

I haven't really followed what has been said by whom at Oprah, actually I don't care too much. Apparently, some people agree with this Meghan Markle, others don't. To some people it is an important matter.

In any case and about any topic, it must still be possible to disagree with a woman without being called misogynistic. Or disagree with a trans person without being called transphobic. Or disagree with an other-skinned person without being called a racist. Et cetera.

And the word 'subtle' tends to get used in an inflationary way these days, it allows all sorts of allegations even when it's total bollocks. I am sure, @droodzilla, that somewhere someone is ready to call your mindset a Tory one, in a 'subtle' way.
What is it that you disagree with. I’ve read much subtle abuse, like calling Meghan an ‘attention seeker’ and thereby dismissing her claims, but I’ve not heard anything that challenges her claims on grounds of substance. What is it that Meghan has said that you disagree with? And what is your counter argument?

I don't believe that to be true, IMHO most the world sees them as a tourist attraction. There symbolic status was diluted in/by politics nearly 100 years ago. They are nothing more than a relic now, again IMHO.
You do think they’re a tourist attraction, but they’re not there to attract attention???

I’ve read much subtle abuse, like calling Meghan an ‘attention seeker’ and thereby dismissing her claims
Having an opinion on someone's attitude and behaviour is not 'abuse'.

I've lived with racism all my life, It's still very much alive, in work as well as personal life.
What do you think the motivation for the Oprah interview is or will achieve?

Having an opinion on someone's attitude and behaviour is not 'abuse'.

I've lived with racism all my life, It's still very much alive, in work as well as personal life.
What do you think the motivation for the Oprah interview is or will achieve?
Calling the alleged victim of racism an attention seeker is abuse, and in this case a tactic to attack the victim and deflect from the issue

My own existence, experiences, and living with racism since 7/8 year old!! when who i though were my friends said ' we can't play with you anymore because you're a different colour.... Differences exist and this will never go away. It is a part of the tapestry of humanity.

Look at the story of Moses for example... The Egyptian said the Hebrew were their inferiors making them salves... has anything really changed in the fact that one race tries to portray itself superior to another.

Have I seen oprah incorrectly? I thought she was like jeremy kyle. I'm sure she spent about ten years in the 80s doing that kind of shit.
I'd agree. To be fair, I've only seen the highlights, but I actually rate Piers Moron higher than Oprah in interviewing style. And I never thought I'd ever say that.

*and it's not because she's black, and a woman.

What is it that you disagree with. I’ve read much subtle abuse, like calling Meghan an ‘attention seeker’ and thereby dismissing her claims, but I’ve not heard anything that challenges her claims on grounds of substance. What is it that Meghan has said that you disagree with? And what is your counter argument?
I agree or disagree with nothing Meghan Markle said, @ks.234, and I still don't care about the Royals and ex-Royals (except that I also have some doubts about the utility of that interview, apart from a desire of revenge). I just deduced from Drood's post that some people here condemned Meghan Markle for something she said (dunno what) and Drood then called those contributors 'mysogines'. My point was that every single person can be subject to criticism, and being a woman, trans, dark-skinned or other minority is not supposed to protect them.

What you don't know is that Oprah Winfrey made a stopover in an ultra-expensive fashion shop in Zurich a few years ago, where she made a scandal because the employee (in fact it was the apprentice) didn't recognize her and, for some administrative reason, dared ask her name. Agreed, this is of course the version we could read in our papers... The shopkeeper had to intervene with diplomacy to neutralise an obviously very heated up situation. Following Oprah's allegations that she was treated there in a racist manner, some US tabloids headlined that all shopkeepers in Switzerland were racists. It is such bollocks that I have very little patience with.

P.S.: Comes to mind, and seen from afar, it's not impossible that I didn't see a post which was indeed misogynistic, in which case I'd stand corrected.

Other than we only have her side of the story and going on TV and saying it to Oprah in front of millions of viewers does not make it any more true? Not a lot.
I didn’t say it was true, I only said they were allegations

I agree or disagree with nothing Meghan Markle said, @ks.234, and I still don't care about the Royals and ex-Royals (except that I also have some doubts about the utility of that interview, apart from a desire of revenge). I just deduced from Drood's post that some people here condemned Meghan Markle for something she said (dunno what) and Drood then called those contributors 'mysogines'. My point was that every single person can be subject to criticism, and being a woman, trans, dark-skinned or other minority is not supposed to protect them.

P.S.: Comes to mind, and seen from afar, it's not impossible that I didn't see a post which was indeed misogynistic, in which case I'd stand corrected.
If I understand your post correctly you do not disagree with anything Meghan has said, but you are merely asserting your right to disagree with a ‘woman, trans, dark-skinned or other minority’ generally? But in asserting that right you are not making any comment about Meghan, or attention seeking?

I didn’t say it was true, I only said they were allegations

And of course allegations of what?

The family racist bit hasn't been elaborated on at all, all we know is that something was said. This could be an innocent question similar to the debate most of us have about the hair, eye, skin colour of our grandkids, or it could be
a totally racist rant about H's choice of bride.

The press have been nasty and duplicitous, the Guardian certainly hasn't missed any opportunity to stick the boot in, only now drifting to a sympathetic view.

I very much see the press as instrumental in this show; they've been winding up the country in every debate to compete with their internet and social media offshoots in order to profit.

Even that national treasure Oprah is totally in it for the cash, $7m from CBS for this prog plus a couple for the ads, a rumoured $30m more from Spotify plus a Netflix deal on the way.

Does anyone seriously think they give one about the underlying morals?

Meanwhile racist views are getting more and more entrenched, all the efforts to stop it appear to merely reinforce prejudice and self entitlement.

If I understand your post correctly you do not disagree with anything Meghan has said, but you are merely asserting your right to disagree with a ‘woman, trans, dark-skinned or other minority’ generally?
Quite so. But I have completed my above post a bit since then, you might want to have a look.

Tony has said that he had to prune out a few comments here that were racist/offensive etc. I didn't see them.

advertisement

Back