advertisement

serious downgrade to what?

Sometimes try to enter in the Spirit of things here but usually pissed ( it just makes me wonder? How many of these things have people actually heard.) What occurred before the Internet. That's sh=teeee, no it's no. Actually surprised folks that know better bother posting anymore. You can lead a Camel to water and half these c--- think it's a Horse? As an aside PJ Harvey and demo, never been touched since 1992, whats that worth?
I knew a bloke once who talked like this sober
He was intelligent and funny.

Don't even use the arm lift, prefer the Finger. Helps to remember to set the arm lift up again tho? Saying that, play vinyl so seldom, have to remember it's not a cd when cooking the tea.

I can personally vouch for a Naim Uniti Nova. Fantastic all in one and if you have already ripped cd’s to a server the Naim app picks these up and organises them nicely. Functionally the Naim app comes in for some criticism from some but I’d suggest they’re folk who haven’t used it for any length of time or have network issues. I find it works a charm, the only caveat being use it on iOS devices as the Android version is reputed to be more clunky. Naim are pretty good at issuing updates, so long term functionality should be solid. The Naim Uniti Star has a CD ripping option, so offers the most flexibility of the range. Doesn’t sound as good as the Nova though, especially in the bass region.
As far as obsolescence goes, hi-fi purchases are no more so than when buying a car. You wouldn’t expect a car to last forever, so why your hi-fi. Besides, Naim can service pretty much any device they’ve made, with the exception of some CD players, so keeping your stuff for longer than average is pretty assured, unless you have a desire to change anyway.
If you want to keep your Node 2i and don’t want to go the one box route, the Rega Ellicit Mk 5 is an excellent choice with its built in DAC and a good phonostage as well. The only caveats are it gets bloody hot and can trip out if you have difficult to drive speakers. So living in Kuwait driving Linn Isobariks wouldn’t be a good idea!
Some folk really like the Node 2i using its analogue outputs but personally, I find the sound a bit rough unless you feed it through a better DAC. As a streamer, with the Blusound app, it’s very good value. The PowerNode is another option but personally I found it a bit soulless.
Speakers suggestions? If you like wood finish the Proac range are available in a huge range of finishes. I’ve heard most of them below the K-series and they are spacious and sweet sounding with good bass extension, except the Tablette 10’s, which are in the LS3/5a category.
If you want more accuracy and neutrality, then the ATC range are excellent and finished nicely, albeit in a much more restricted range of finishes.
Dynaudio also make lovely speakers; their Evokes and Contours hit the middle ground between Proac and ATC.

Hope that helps.

Adey

I'll second the Yammy suggestion. It's a great all-in-one (bar the CD) solution and sounds fab with my Kralk BC30mkIIs. Good match for my Tehnics SL1500C/RigB AT540ML combo - the phono stage isn't bad, bested by a £350 standalone but not by much - and the streaming from all the usual sources is easy. Spotify works a charm as it has Connect built in. Cheap as chips for a great unit.

advertisement

Back