advertisement

serious downgrade to what?

How much do you stream versus LP and CD?

If you are both happy controlling almost everything via an app on your phones, then how about a Naim Star - streaming, CD playing , and not-bad amplification in one box?

You could partner that with an easy to use Technics turntable and speakers from Harbeth, Spendor or Neat.

If that's too much of a downgrade in sound quality, and particularly if the turntable is still your main source, then I am not sure that any 1-box approach will be ideal. You might opt to replace the turntable with something easier like that Technics, but to keep the CD player and streamer that you are both familiar with already. A second-hand Naim Supernait 3 (with not-bad MM phono stage) or maybe a Copland CSA100 would be a good choice IMHO, with the same speaker options as before, but there are lots of possible amp choices that may be easier to live with than your Leben.

Finally, if you worry about speaker cables becoming a hazard, have you thought of wireless speakers? It is easy to scoff, but the B&W Formations are pretty remarkable and the KEFs get great reviews - if of course you could live with the looks. Alternatively, if you think a speaker should be a thing of beauty, you could add Sonus Faber Sonettos to the list of possible speakers.

How much do you stream versus LP and CD?

If you are both happy controlling almost everything via an app on your phones, then how about a Naim Star - streaming, CD playing , and not-bad amplification in one box?

You could partner that with an easy to use Technics turntable and speakers from Harbeth, Spendor or Neat.

If that's too much of a downgrade in sound quality, and particularly if the turntable is still your main source, then I am not sure that any 1-box approach will be ideal. You might opt to replace the turntable with something easier like that Technics, but to keep the CD player and streamer that you are both familiar with already. A second-hand Naim Supernait 3 (with not-bad MM phono stage) or maybe a Copland CSA100 would be a good choice IMHO, with the same speaker options as before, but there are lots of possible amp choices that may be easier to live with than your Leben.

Finally, if you worry about speaker cables becoming a hazard, have you thought of wireless speakers? It is easy to scoff, but the B&W Formations are pretty remarkable and the KEFs get great reviews - if of course you could live with the looks. Alternatively, if you think a speaker should be a thing of beauty, you could add Sonus Faber Sonettos to the list of possible speakers.

Good question. Streaming now is 80% of our music, LP and CD share the rest. I think with a deck I was less neurotic about and which didn't need pushing to start etc LP would gain some air time. CD is 3rd. Your 3rd para graph is where i am now having absorbed all the advice so far nick.
A simpler (cheaper and tougher) deck with auto stop and a 'robuster' MM cart. Keep the BluSound Node. Ditch valves and sell on the Tannoys (not for sound reasons, but weight, bulk and age). I want something new and therefore futureproof. Probably keep the Luxman CD unless mrs complains of too mixed aesthetics, in which case make match amp (now itself only needing good MM phonostage) and buy decent bookshelves. I do love to make stuff so might be tempted by the idea on BBC LS3 type kits.

That will be familiar enough but should last.

Our bedroom system is a Node 2i with a pair of Genelec 8030s. Nearly identical to the G3s that Stereophile have just reviewed, but the 8030 version sells for quite a bit less. Ours were under £900 from Bax, late last year. Input sensitivity is a bit high for the Node, even adjusted to the minimum, but the sound is excellent, if you don't need it to be really loud. Perhaps those and a Technics SL1500C?

Have you heard one Richard? Very expensice and will need a CD and speakers so may be over budget but I quite like the modern looks (Mrs me may not :) ). Anyway I'll add it to the list.
Naim do something called a Uniti I think? Marantz? Cambridge? I need to plow through some paperwork.

If you are tempted I have one in the classifieds. Located in Edinburgh.

Sorry to hear this has become necessary Rockmeister.

I think the above advice on active speakers is good. Genelec sound excellent and are *exceptionally* robust: you could knock them over on a daily basis and not do any damage (except perhaps to your toes…) Recent domestic offering got this rave review from Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/genelec-g-three-active-loudspeaker

Technics deck also a good shout: they seem to inspire confidence in those usually intimidated by turntables (going by my wife and her GR). The SL1500c has auto-stop.

For a pre, something with knobs rather than buttons I’d have thought. Recent Exposure are straightforward, and the internal phono stage is very good.

Oops, missed the wood requirement. Genelecs not likely to suit.
Hi Sean, good link to the G three review! Only thing I can’t see is the ability to buy from a UK shop, unless I’m not looking hard enough it feels like they’re on intended for the European market?

There’s a couple of sellers coming up https://www.finnishdesignshop.com/en-gb/terms_and_info2.php?p=united_kingdom_customers and https://www.muziker.co.uk/genelec-g-three-active-speaker-white, obviously no great problem.
Thanks.

Hi Sean, good link to the G three review! Only thing I can’t see is the ability to buy from a UK shop, unless I’m not looking hard enough it feels like they’re on intended for the European market?

There’s a couple of sellers coming up https://www.finnishdesignshop.com/en-gb/terms_and_info2.php?p=united_kingdom_customers and https://www.muziker.co.uk/genelec-g-three-active-speaker-white, obviously no great problem.
Thanks.
The 8030 is available from lots of pro audio shops, and is identical apart from green, rather than white, LEDs no RCA inputs and a different input sensitivity range. Quite a bit cheaper though, as mentioned above.

Thanks:) Right now we’re still laughing at it all. We’ve agreed that the first of us to be found dribbling and talking to a tree is getting knocked on the head, so if it all goes quiet suddenly, there’s going to be some HiFi going cheap! Hahahaha.

:)

Good question. Streaming now is 80% of our music, LP and CD share the rest. I think with a deck I was less neurotic about and which didn't need pushing to start etc LP would gain some air time. CD is 3rd.

It sounds like your subconscious it trying to tell you it's time.
Bask in the memories of having owned it.
Rip your favourite LPs, so you can have a flavour in future.
...sell the Palmer!

Keep the rest.

Our bedroom system is a Node 2i with a pair of Genelec 8030s. Nearly identical to the G3s that Stereophile have just reviewed, but the 8030 version sells for quite a bit less. Ours were under £900 from Bax, late last year. Input sensitivity is a bit high for the Node, even adjusted to the minimum, but the sound is excellent, if you don't need it to be really loud. Perhaps those and a Technics SL1500C?

I'd be inclined to do this first and then see if you actually need a TT or CD player. My CD player has been under my bed for years and I don't miss it at all because the choice from streaming servers is just so huge. I love my TT and vinyl but I dont use it that much these days and suspect I could get by with Amazon HD or similar quite easily.....

I'd be careful amps with built in dacs or anything the relies on firmware to interface to a computer/phone. The kit could be obsolete and unsupported in just a few years and before you know where you are you'll be back at the dealer having to spend...

The Thorens TR1601 has auto lift and shutoff at the end of a side, very handy if you have an increasing tendency to nod off. There’s also a lid to keep the cat

I was edging towards a Naim Atom, since it gets good reviews and the Technics 1500c has a phonostage and so do I already, if the Technics version isn’t up to much. I’m intrigued by the dark warnings of redundant internal streaming software. My node has already downloaded 2 software updates for free, so it would be odd if that kind of thing needed expensive dealer work. So odd I’d not buy from that maker. Does anyone have certain knowledge of this type of stuff?

advertisement

Back