advertisement

serious downgrade to what?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Various health reasons for me and the old girl suggest this will be a good idea in the near future.

For info the current set up is:
Palmer 2.5 record deck with SME M2 9" arm and Hana ML low output MC cartridge.
Into Avid Phono stage.
This and the Luxman CD 05 feed into a Leben 600 valve amp.
There's a BluSound Node doing streaming services, and that lot outputs to some homebuilt Tannoy 12" monitor Golds.

I'm keeping my vinyl....I just spent all winter cleaning the lot so, and i have 500+ CD's so I will need a CD source.

We will need clear and simple operation, decent sound, a minimum of boxes (so an all in one amp/streamer and etc would be ideal if poss) a record deck (with phono stage if the amp thing is without), and standmount speakers with a smooth enjoyable sound.

My first thoughts go to a basic Technics deck ( Robust is good) with built in phono stage if need be, no idea whatsoever what the power control system might be, and something like Wharfedale's Lintons maybe as speakers? The old girl likes wood. Think old fashioned, woody, big dials, reliable, a bit rugged and a decent sound.

There will be about £10000 available if I sell everything, but have no objection to spending less, or much less! :) Thanks.

standmount speakers with a smooth enjoyable sound.

Monitor 30.1 springs to mind, with you being a former Harbethian.

Could you not keep the Palmer? When I heard your system many moons ago at the Wam show it seemed like your signature piece. Hard to say if that or the Luxman amp were the keynote to the very alluring and civilized sound I remember, but both really impressed me (and obviously the Harbeths were playing a part!). In that light is there a Luxman one box solution you could return to? There was a sense of repose to the elements of that system, and if downsizing is regarded as a kind of hi-fi retirement, I can imagine a slightly smaller and more modest version of it being a very comfortable place to land.

Monitor 30.1 springs to mind, with you being a former Harbethian.

Could you not keep the Palmer? When I heard your system many moons ago at the Wam show it seemed like your signature piece. Hard to say if that or the Luxman amp were the keynote to the very alluring and civilized sound I remember, but both really impressed me (and obviously the Harbeths were playing a part!). In that light is there a Luxman one box solution you could return to? There was a sense of repose to the elements of that system, and if downsizing is regarded as a kind of hi-fi retirement, I can imagine a slightly smaller and more modest version of it being a very comfortable place to land.

I'm trying to future proof, and the users of the system are likely to include the confused and the clumsy.

I love how it sounds, and I'll not be glad to do it, but some things matter more. Sorry to be dramatic. It's going to need doing.

Yes small Harbs might well fit or the Tannoys as Nutt suggests...I love both sounds. I think the bit in the middle will be critical. I don't even know if one box exists that does all that.

I've thought about doing the same thing as you in the future and would have slightly less budget.

I've been looking at a Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 as an all-in-one solution.

Not sure on what speakers to pair it with but consciously keeping my eye open on other users' experiences.

Devialet?
Have you heard one Richard? Very expensice and will need a CD and speakers so may be over budget but I quite like the modern looks (Mrs me may not :) ). Anyway I'll add it to the list.
Naim do something called a Uniti I think? Marantz? Cambridge? I need to plow through some paperwork.

I don’t quite understand the rationale of ditching a system you are happy with. What do you think you’ll gain by swapping? You already have an easy to use music solution with the Node2i. Is it reducing box count?

I don’t quite understand the rationale of ditching a system you are happy with. What do you think you’ll gain by swapping? You already have an easy to use music solution with the Node2i. Is it reducing box count?

Plus the vinyl/record playback surely is the most space, time and effort consuming part of the system? - I don't advocate you should get rid of it but if health reasons (mobility?) is the main reason then that would make the biggest difference no? Nice system.

You could do as I have done and get yourself a Technics SL-10 or suchlike. It is very compact, sounds great and is almost “plug and play”. Being around 40 years old I’m sure most of them now could do with a service and recap but then you would be good for another 40 years!

What's the rationale for downsizing your speakers? Are you moving into a smaller room or is it to suit the change of amplifier?

Last edited:
Health problems, depending what they are, would suggest getting a TT with some automation.

So as Fergus said a SL10 or similar would be advisable. Then amp and speakers to make the best of the TT and CD etc.

Andy

See post 5 para 1, if more detail is needed, sorry but it’s a bit personal. Take from me that the required attributes are as mentioned above. Easy to use in a confused mental state, rugged enough, few boxes and a sound which is good value for money. There’s no point owning something wonderful and much loved if you can’t operate it or hear it clearly.

See post 5 para 1

Read it but still don’t understand!

i rented rooms out to mates years ago and needed an easy to use solution for them which wasn’t a unipivot tonearm holding an expensive cartridge. I bought a CD player!

You already have something the clumsy can use - your streamer?

Given what you’re saying, perhaps ditch vinyl replay (for now anyway, keep the records as you say) and get a better sounding but equally user friendly streamer that can either play or at least rip your CDs. Something Innuos perhaps? Unless you think a valve amp is a potential health hazard I’d keep the Leben, and I’d keep the speakers.

If you really want to strip it to the core and simplify, I would get a decent pair of active speakers and a good streamer / preamp. I cannot recommend any particular brands or models as my experience in this space is pretty limited. This assumes your situation allows you to use e.g. a tablet or smartphone to control the streamer / preamp.

I just purchased a Bluesound Node and a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 Active speakers in my "second" system and to support the TV. This is essentially mid-fi and is likely to be be a major step down from your current sound potential, however it has demonstrated to me that just 2 components provide a major simplification and is very usable. I can use my Sky Q control to do everything video related, including volume, and a smartphone to do everything digital music related.

I ripped all my CDs to a server years ago, and any new music I buy is ripped and put on a shelf never to be used again. The Bluesound handles this music very well, and I can also using streaming services like Spotify. I still have my turntable and small collection of LPs, I will rarely use it now but have not got round to disposing - too big a step for now.

If I were to go this route on my primary audio setup, I would look to the higher-end active speakers and streamer / preamps - a couple of suggestions made earlier.

Sorry to hear this has become necessary Rockmeister.

I think the above advice on active speakers is good. Genelec sound excellent and are *exceptionally* robust: you could knock them over on a daily basis and not do any damage (except perhaps to your toes…) Recent domestic offering got this rave review from Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/genelec-g-three-active-loudspeaker

Technics deck also a good shout: they seem to inspire confidence in those usually intimidated by turntables (going by my wife and her GR). The SL1500c has auto-stop.

For a pre, something with knobs rather than buttons I’d have thought. Recent Exposure are straightforward, and the internal phono stage is very good.

Oops, missed the wood requirement. Genelecs not likely to suit.

advertisement

Back