advertisement

serious downgrade to what?

I was edging towards a Naim Atom, since it gets good reviews and the Technics 1500c has a phonostage and so do I already, if the Technics version isn’t up to much. I’m intrigued by the dark warnings of redundant internal streaming software. My node has already downloaded 2 software updates for free, so it would be odd if that kind of thing needed expensive dealer work. So odd I’d not buy from that maker. Does anyone have certain knowledge of this type of stuff?

Once bitten twice shy for me. I won't name the particular product let's just say when apple or microsoft make a major change in OS sometimes it's not a trivial task to provide a solution and maybe for a discontinued product. A big reason why I went down the RME dac route...

Good question. Streaming now is 80% of our music, LP and CD share the rest. I think with a deck I was less neurotic about and which didn't need pushing to start etc LP would gain some air time. CD is 3rd. Your 3rd para graph is where i am now having absorbed all the advice so far nick.
A simpler (cheaper and tougher) deck with auto stop and a 'robuster' MM cart. Keep the BluSound Node. Ditch valves and sell on the Tannoys (not for sound reasons, but weight, bulk and age). I want something new and therefore futureproof. Probably keep the Luxman CD unless mrs complains of too mixed aesthetics, in which case make match amp (now itself only needing good MM phonostage) and buy decent bookshelves. I do love to make stuff so might be tempted by the idea on BBC LS3 type kits.

That will be familiar enough but should last.
Replace the BluSound Node with a BluSound Powernode. Not convinced this would be a downgrade in streaming other than audiophile credibility. Plug in the Technics SL-1500 which has a built in phono section and your done. The Naim Atom looks extremely overpriced in comparison.

I have a couple Sonos Amps which is similar to the Powernode but has a feature that recognizes when the needle drops on the record and automatically starts the music at a preset volume.

I was edging towards a Naim Atom, since it gets good reviews and the Technics 1500c has a phonostage and so do I already, if the Technics version isn’t up to much. I’m intrigued by the dark warnings of redundant internal streaming software. My node has already downloaded 2 software updates for free, so it would be odd if that kind of thing needed expensive dealer work. So odd I’d not buy from that maker. Does anyone have certain knowledge of this type of stuff?

If you’re looking at the Atom, you can’t ignore the Linn Majik DSM in my view. I’d take it over the Atom, aside from me preferring the sound, Linn software is so much better. Although after auditioning I bought a Yamaha 803D for a quarter of the price which in the real world is just as good IME. Don’t worry about built in streaming, if it eventually becomes unsupported just use as an amp and plug in whatever streamer is flavour of the time. It’s just so much easier and neater having it integrated IME.

Oh goodness. This is getting way more complicated hahaha
OK
here i am now as at friday evening
Starting backwards:
Tannoys? Gotta go. In? Small stand mounts that do 'enough, tuneful bass' and have clarity with no harshness or over-bright top end. I'm think of building Falcon Q5's. About a straight swap for the tannoys.
Amp...Leben 600? Has to go. It makes no sense at all. Sad because iI love it as much as the Tannoys and Palmer but? Life. I'm thinking of ergonomics, sound and build. Marantz model 30? in black. About a straight swap for the Leben.
CD. The Luxman is superb but again? If I get the Marantz then I'll swap the Lux for the matching Marantz CD. In black. Another straight swap or maybe I make enough for the cartridge.
Streaming? The Node stays for now. It's already black (ish)
Phono stage? Goes. The Marantz has a fine inbuilt one. Good enough. I'm half a grand up I hope.
Deck? Out Palmer. Since I don't need a phono stage I'll buy the Technics SL1200 GR I think, in black. Just an edge over the 1500 and may be more flexible cartridge wise I hope. Large profit to moi.

Cart? No idea. I guess the Hana will vanish with the palmer/SME but we'll see. Hope so.

I'm thinking Ortofon 2M Blue / something from AT/ something from Nagaoka all MM to start.

With the remaining money I expect to buy a new kit stand and speaker stands as needed.

Last chance to tell me im an ass? hahahaha
Thanks

I didn't know of the problem. TonyL has always rated them, but I never owned one. AT are an obvious MM choice, and Ortofon are safe at least.

Some problem with the importer - anyway seems to be in the past. Tony is right, very nice match with a rega arm too

I have certain knowledge of an Atom - I am listening to one now. It's a good one-box, but you are happy with your streamer and you probably want more amp than that. I'd suggest Supernait over Marantz (hear both and perhaps the Rega too), and Neat iota Alphas over building speakers - but the latter probably reflects what a speaker built by me would sound like...

All looks good to me. ATs can be a little bright and forward in the SLs, so go with one of those :)

Hearing loss will soon compensate :) That was the joke, probably in poor taste. I love AT on Technics and I’m only 10 years behind you.

Don't overestimate the ease of familiarity. A few befuddled years down the line and anything recent might as well be brand new every time you look at it. Stuff you had for years and stored away in your deep memory will continue to be usable.

If that's not the primary driver then a simple amp with only two sources and inbuilt phono is simple, and a cd player.

As my old man's dementia progressed he didn't know his arse from his elbow, but could drop a cd in the player every time. We just left the stereo switched on and the cd player would play as soon as you pushed the door shut.

Sometimes try to enter in the Spirit of things here but usually pissed ( it just makes me wonder? How many of these things have people actually heard.) What occurred before the Internet. That's sh=teeee, no it's no. Actually surprised folks that know better bother posting anymore. You can lead a Camel to water and half these c--- think it's a Horse? As an aside PJ Harvey and demo, never been touched since 1992, whats that worth?

Cheers Del, I'll google it.
Still think you should try to listen to the Yammy. I tried it knowing it had received praise but was fairly floored as to how exceptional it was compared to my previous Naim and NAD set ups. It is deceptively powerful(running my LRS speakers with ease). There is consistency across its outputs. The streaming facility is great and the Sabre Dac is just right for me. FM and DAB+ on board as well as a good quality MM stage. Add the MusicCast and sub out and you have a potent all in one. I tend to play on Pure Audio but it is very good without this.It’s resting at the moment whilst we decorate our living room but I’m already missing it. I think it’s probably one of the most satisfying products I’ve ever purchased. If I were to change it it would be for the ‘just about to be released’ RN 2000A. Shows how much I like it. I always enjoyed Yamaha AV amps but hadn’t realised that they were so great at stereo amps! I implore you to try. I think you can nab one for about £599 now instead of £899. One of the great vfm bargains in hifi I believe. Like the younger cousin of a Devialet.

Last edited:
Sometimes try to enter in the Spirit of things here but usually pissed ( it just makes me wonder? How many of these things have people actually heard.) What occurred before the Internet. That's sh=teeee, no it's no. Actually surprised folks that know better bother posting anymore. You can lead a Camel to water and half these c--- think it's a Horse? As an aside PJ Harvey and demo, never been touched since 1992, whats that worth?
Are you p*****d now? Just wondered?;)

advertisement

Back