advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole 'All [insert name of nation here] are mean/feckless/thick' thing is such obvious garbage. We were on holiday on Crete a few years back when Greece was going through one of its periodic economic crises, with associated political unrest. We asked the local restaurant owner if he was worried about it, and he replied 'That is just in Athens. They are all crazy there'. Similarly, one of my fellow-students on my MA course was German, from what was East Germany. Someone asked her about a particular German custom around Christmas. She looked a bit baffled, then said, 'Ah, yes, I have heard of that custom, but it is only in Bavaria they do that' (tapping the side of her head as she spoke).

I took my friend, McTavish, to Rosie's house for tea,
She said, "What's that thing on your lap just above your knee?"
He said, "Oh that's my sporran, ma'am," she said, "Well goodness sake,
For two whole hours I've been trying to feed it chocolate cake."

-Benny Hill - Moving On Again

The whole 'All [insert name of nation here] are mean/feckless/thick' thing is such obvious garbage. We were on holiday on Crete a few years back when Greece was going through one of its periodic economic crises, with associated political unrest. We asked the local restaurant owner if he was worried about it, and he replied 'That is just in Athens. They are all crazy there'. Similarly, one of my fellow-students on my MA course was German, from what was East Germany. Someone asked her about a particular German custom around Christmas. She looked a bit baffled, then said, 'Ah, yes, I have heard of that custom, but it is only in Bavaria they do that' (tapping the side of her head as she spoke).
I knew a German who’d trained as a psychiatrist in Bavaria. The asylum was run by the Catholic Church, the nurses were all nuns and each ward was named after a saint, with a garishly painted life-size statue of each name saint at the end of the ward. Could you imagine being psychotic in such a place she said, where you are surrounded by nuns and life size dummies dressed as saints?

Finnish view of us.
121674347_10157462705921752_5045358305624952468_n.jpg

"The Greeks" are very lazy and addicted to debt, whereas "Scots" are tightfisted, right?
If you say so, it must be true.

(You're projecting again, Sean. I have rarely seen people work as hard and diligently as my Greek colleagues during the two+ years I worked in Athens. Spare us your sneers, please.)

This is a matter of record, and it is neatly encapsulated in Ted Heath's words to Parliament in 1971, "Joining the community does not entail a loss of national identity or an erosion of essential national sovereignty..."

Your interpretation of "essential" doesn't make what Heath said in 1971 incorrect. Ask most Brexit voters for details of the UK's loss of sovereignty and be honest about what you hear back.

Your interpretation of "essential" doesn't make what Heath said in 1971 incorrect. Ask most Brexit voters for details of the UK's loss of sovereignty and be honest about what you hear back.

Heath's weasel words represented, as I wrote above, the culmination of a long campaign of secrecy, obfuscation and lies on the part of the pro-federal Conservatives from the very beginning of the European project in the early 1950s, the objective of which was to conceal from the public the true objectives of that project.

Following the Werner Report on EMU, the government commissioned the Treasury to write an objective analysis of the report;

"It should be noted at the outset that the plan for economic and monetary union (EMU) has revolutionary long-term implications, both economic and political. It could imply the ultimate creation of a European federal state with a single currency.

All the basic instruments of national economic management (fiscal, monetary, incomes and regional policies) would ultimately be handed over to the central federal authorities... ".

The study also stated its belief that the proposed European federal model would provide even less autonomy to the former sovereign states than is the case in the US, as budgets would be decided in Brussels rather than in the state capitals.

The confidential Treasury study was duly squirrelled away under the 30 year rule.

Debate the lexicology of the word 'essential' to your heart's content, but forgive me if I don't join in.

Heath's weasel words represented, as I wrote above, the culmination of a long campaign of secrecy, obfuscation and lies on the part of the pro-federal Conservatives from the very beginning of the European project in the early 1950s, the objective of which was to conceal from the public the true objectives of that project.

Debate the lexicology of the word 'essential' to your heart's content, but forgive me if I don't join in.

I'm debating it's actual meaning, especially when viewed from 1971. No 'essential' UK sovereignty has been lost. I note you haven't commented on what I consider a more enlightening measure of perceived loss of sovereignty, outside of anti-EU zealots like yourself. I repeat, ask a range of people who voted Brexit for details of what sovereignty they believe the UK lost and be honest about what you hear back.

Last edited:
I knew a German who’d trained as a psychiatrist in Bavaria. The asylum was run by the Catholic Church, the nurses were all nuns and each ward was named after a saint, with a garishly painted life-size statue of each name saint at the end of the ward. Could you imagine being psychotic in such a place she said, where you are surrounded by nuns and life size dummies dressed as saints?

I recall from when I lived in Bavaria that their name for an asylum was rather literal - bezirkskrankenhaus.

U.K.’s Tories Start War Gaming to Prevent Scottish Independence;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...qMtwSpfKMJ2IWRpzQqzCufACjKt9D6na5fSrEV-puURf4

Pressuring the EU to nix Scottish membership - I can't see that working.
It’s only natural. They’re going to wage a dirty campaign of slander against pro-independence figures in Scotland. Quite frankly I’m surprised they don’t want to keep the £14bn ‘they send to Scotland’ each year and give it to the NHS instead. Time to cut Scotland loose.

It’s only natural. They’re going to wage a dirty campaign of slander against pro-independence figures in Scotland. Quite frankly I’m surprised they don’t want to keep the £14bn ‘they send to Scotland’ each year and give it to the NHS instead. Time to cut Scotland loose.
I think their best tactics would be nonchalance - "OK, off you go, we will be better off without you", I'm surprised they haven't thought to try it.

Plenty of lessons to go round for everyone from the Greek crisis, including some that could be relevant for Scotland one day.
But based on the little I know of Scotland (one aunt in Kirkcudbrightshire, and one daughter now working in Edinburgh), the Scots strike me as a very different lot from the Greeks and unlikely to make the same mistakes.

"The Greeks" are very lazy and addicted to debt, whereas "Scots" are tightfisted, right?

If you say so, it must be true.

(You're projecting again, Sean. I have rarely seen people work as hard and diligently as my Greek colleagues during the two+ years I worked in Athens. Spare us your sneers, please.)
:D:D:D

I think you need to read it again and think.

I think their best tactics would be nonchalance - "OK, off you go, we will be better off without you", I'm surprised they haven't thought to try it.
They can’t do it. There’s a ‘former conservative MP’ on ITV News tonight claiming Independence shouldn’t be seen as inevitable. He lost his seat to an SNP landslide and he’s trying to sell Boris Johnson. I welcome his energy- let’s hear more from him.meanwhile Labour are trying to make ‘a passionate case for the Union’- with only one MP left in Scotland. It’s what you might call a politically fatal strategy.

Did anyone else living up here react with disbelief at the new domestic fire regulation requirements ?
Apparently, the flyer that arrived is from a company south of the border because there are no electricians in Scotland capable of undertaking the work...nothing from the S.G. ahead of this.

Implementation by February 2021, a total lack of public consultation and an average calculated Mickey Mouse figure of £220 to realise the scheme.

In the middle of a pandemic, failure to comply will result in insurance companies not covering your property...
Had it done to a 2 bedroom flat back in 2016, the cost was £746.00

Not alone in wanting the sturgeon to follow the salmon into extinction.

Nicola, the people of Scotland are fuming.

Did anyone else living up here react with disbelief at the new domestic fire regulation requirements ?
Apparently, the flyer that arrived is from a company south of the border because there are no electricians in Scotland capable of undertaking the work...nothing from the S.G. ahead of this.

Implementation by February 2021, a total lack of public consultation and an average calculated Mickey Mouse figure of £220 to realise the scheme.

In the middle of a pandemic, failure to comply will result in insurance companies not covering your property...
Had it done to a 2 bedroom flat back in 2016, the cost was £746.00

Not alone in wanting the sturgeon to follow the salmon into extinction.

Nicola, the people of Scotland are fuming.
Have you got a link?

Scottish government are going to delay introduction of new regulations until 2022, the Conservatives are calling for a delay till 2022 before regulations are introduced, seems sensible with Covid crisis.

Re fuming: I’m not even combusting yet, nor are the majority of voters in Scotland.

Scottish government are going to delay introduction of new regulations until 2022, the Conservatives are calling for a delay till 2022 before regulations are introduced, seems sensible with Covid crisis.

Re fuming: I’m not even combusting yet, nor are the majority of voters in Scotland.

I was slightly annoyed by the clumsy legislation on fire alarms, but that dissipated when they announced the sensible delay in implementation.

I was, however, fuming about the billions wasted on the English Track & Trace system, the PHE contracts issued without tender to unsuitable companies, the ongoing Brexit catastrophe, the attacks on democracy, etc, etc - all of which come from the Westminster government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back