advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
As if economics weren’t ideological.
And ideology has economic consequences, as we see once again with Brexit. All obvious to the point of tautology.

But you affect to miss my point, which was that ideology seems to energize larger majorities in some parts of the world these days.

Reasoned reply...you go up in my estimation.
However, joking apart, zero addressing of the points I made, and I seem to have had zero response from you regarding your views on expats and referenda.
Maybe time for some more distracting willy waving about how many languages you speak and who your favourite dead German librettist is.
I can hardly wait.

Can’t please everyone I suppose. At least you voted with your feet.

Crikey, Montesqueui scarpered quick. He was well up himself but clearly lacked the levels of delusion, fanaticism and dogged persistence of the other Brexit stalwarts. He needs to up his game.

Dec and ff1d1l, could you slow it down a bit. I was looking forward to asking him questions all morning and letting him reveal himself but you just blundered in and coshed him proper :D

Crikey, Montesqueui scarpered quick. He was well up himself but clearly lacked the levels of delusion, fanaticism and dogged persistence of the other Brexit stalwarts. He needs to up his game.

Dec and ff1d1l, could you slow it down a bit. I was looking forward to asking him questions all morning and letting him reveal himself but you just blundered in and coshed him proper :D
Awww..sorry...

Why call it a contradiction? It’s an ironic parallel. In both cases ideology (in this case a desire for some form of perceived independence) trumps mere economics.

Eeek! I didn't realize how polarized the independence thing is. There is definitely a juxtaposition with regard to being against leaving the EU but arguing for Scotland to break away. Stand to be corrected here but is it the case in both Scotland and the wider UK elections FPTP means less than 50% of the vote get most of the seats.
Has any excercise been done to compare the application of a PR result with the current set up to ascertain what the make up of parties would be?

There’s an elegant contradiction between Brexit and Scotland becoming independent. England votes by a majority to leave the EU yet it seems many of the same voters are outraged that Scotland is exercising its desire to leave the U.K. in order to take its place in the EU again. That same contradiction oozes out when you hear expressions like - Scotland can’t leave the U.K. because (for example) it’ll be destroyed economically yet those expressing that view are simultaneously outraged by voters in Scotland exercising their choice.
It’s seemed to me since 2016 that Independence is an inevitable consequence of Brexit. We can find out how widely held that view is in the May election.
Funniest post of the week.

Funniest post of the week.

There is no greater logic to Brexiteers thinking Scotland should stay within the UK union than Remainers thinking that Indy is a good thing. However much I understand Scotland's desire not to be tethered to Tory England, I think it's unwise. In both cases there is no compellling case for separation that I can see. Brexit has of course gifted the SNP a case they never had before.

I think it’s merely a question of choosing your allies. Tory led England seems to be heading down the US path of libertarian market driven policies with a smaller state and a minimal welfare state. Scotland is more aligned with the European social democratic tradition. It therefore makes sense to be independent from England and part of the EU.

There’s an elegant contradiction between Brexit and Scotland becoming independent. England votes by a majority to leave the EU yet it seems many of the same voters are outraged that Scotland is exercising its desire to leave the U.K. in order to take its place in the EU again. That same contradiction oozes out when you hear expressions like - Scotland can’t leave the U.K. because (for example) it’ll be destroyed economically yet those expressing that view are simultaneously outraged by voters in Scotland exercising their choice.
It’s seemed to me since 2016 that Independence is an inevitable consequence of Brexit. We can find out how widely held that view is in the May election.

You must have read a different programme for government and SNP 2019 election manifesto from the rest of us up here Sean. Actually you might be forgiven for thinking the sole remaining Labour MP has anti-Independence as his single manifesto idea. Things have moved on, they’re not going to go back to where they were- people who’ve reached voting age in the past six years are making very different political choices. Scottish politics will be dominated by the SNP and Greens.

Montesquieu came from nowehere and delivered the most lucid, articulate and authoritative arguments for brexit and against Scottish nationalism seen on here in all the years of bickering. The response was interesting. It even jarred TheDecameron into briefly poking his head out from his sniper's lair of acerbic sarcasm, and to speak in actual sentences and paragraphs containing formulated arguments, and did I notice a brief moment of grudging respect in Colin L's tone?

It inevitably didn't last. The anti-brexit/ScotNat massive quickly regained its usual composure.

Global kipper.

Christ, not wheeling that tired UKIP cr4p out again.
Listen, the lot we have in have killed more of us in the UK than the entire EU body count.
Be a good chap and vote them out, will you? NOW, before they beat their own record with the second wave?
There is adequate democracy in the EU, and since 2016 it has performed considerably better than ours.
Just jog my memory about that EU prorogation of parliament, will you?
That EU assumption of Henry V111 powers?
The EU breaking international law to renege on a treaty?

Reasoned reply...you go up in my estimation.
However, joking apart, zero addressing of the points I made, and I seem to have had zero response from you regarding your views on expats and referenda.
Maybe time for some more distracting willy waving about how many languages you speak and who your favourite dead German librettist is.
I can hardly wait.

Can’t please everyone I suppose. At least you voted with your feet.

Coshed? You're utterly deluding yourself, Colin.

And ideology has economic consequences, as we see once again with Brexit. All obvious to the point of tautology.

But you affect to miss my point, which was that ideology seems to energize larger majorities in some parts of the world these days.

The EU is an ideology, a theology even. It always defaults to putting the project ahead of the people. As you say, economic consequences.

It'll be interesting to see the upshot of the EU's ideologically-based instransigence over their treaty obligation to achieve an FTA. The consequences of not doing so will certainly be economic. They might even be existential.

Montesquieu came from nowehere and delivered the most lucid, articulate and authoritative arguments for brexit and against Scottish nationalism seen on here in all the years of bickering.

No he didn't. No more than you have, but I can seen the points of agreement between you.

I think an important point of agreement might be in the area of being more anti-EU than pro-Brexit.

I think an important point of agreement might be in the area of being more anti-EU than pro-Brexit.
I'd soft peddle on the points of agreement if I were you ET, unless you want to be thought the type that burps UKIP shite on Arse of Sound.

I decoded it. The platform isn't phone friendly, and I really can't be bothered. Looks quite highbrow on music.

Montesquieu came from nowehere and delivered the most lucid, articulate and authoritative arguments for brexit and against Scottish nationalism seen on here in all the years of bickering. The response was interesting. It even jarred TheDecameron into briefly poking his head out from his sniper's lair of acerbic sarcasm, and to speak in actual sentences and paragraphs containing formulated arguments, and did I notice a brief moment of grudging respect in Colin L's tone?

Grudging respect? Not really. I was merely being nice to draw him in with questions and let him expose himself as the self-absorbed deluded pillock he clearly is. As it turns out he’s apparently Kipper which makes a lot of sense.

I posted to Dec and ff1 after his premature flounce. Didn’t you notice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back