Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish Politics

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Aug 19, 2020.

1. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Kindness....

Actually though I'm behind the times, wasn't aware of the latest figures, I find that traveling tabby site just too depressing.
    Although give the tories time, they have the second wave to do it in, and if they make the effort I think they can get us back in top position.
    World beating.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  2. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

3. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

And ideology has economic consequences, as we see once again with Brexit. All obvious to the point of tautology.

But you affect to miss my point, which was that ideology seems to energize larger majorities in some parts of the world these days.

4. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I take it you don't vote in the European elections then?

5. Colin L

Colin L LOU Attitude Adjuster

Crikey, Montesqueui scarpered quick. He was well up himself but clearly lacked the levels of delusion, fanaticism and dogged persistence of the other Brexit stalwarts. He needs to up his game.

Dec and ff1d1l, could you slow it down a bit. I was looking forward to asking him questions all morning and letting him reveal himself but you just blundered in and coshed him proper :D

6. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Awww..sorry...

7. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Eeek! I didn't realize how polarized the independence thing is. There is definitely a juxtaposition with regard to being against leaving the EU but arguing for Scotland to break away. Stand to be corrected here but is it the case in both Scotland and the wider UK elections FPTP means less than 50% of the vote get most of the seats.
    Has any excercise been done to compare the application of a PR result with the current set up to ascertain what the make up of parties would be?

8. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Funniest post of the week.

9. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Who are the Trump appeasers in Aberdeen? I think we should be told.

10. SteveS1

There is no greater logic to Brexiteers thinking Scotland should stay within the UK union than Remainers thinking that Indy is a good thing. However much I understand Scotland's desire not to be tethered to Tory England, I think it's unwise. In both cases there is no compellling case for separation that I can see. Brexit has of course gifted the SNP a case they never had before.

denni55 likes this.
  11. Colin L

I think it’s merely a question of choosing your allies. Tory led England seems to be heading down the US path of libertarian market driven policies with a smaller state and a minimal welfare state. Scotland is more aligned with the European social democratic tradition. It therefore makes sense to be independent from England and part of the EU.

denni55, JimmyB, Dozey and 1 other person like this.
  12. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Montesquieu came from nowehere and delivered the most lucid, articulate and authoritative arguments for brexit and against Scottish nationalism seen on here in all the years of bickering. The response was interesting. It even jarred TheDecameron into briefly poking his head out from his sniper's lair of acerbic sarcasm, and to speak in actual sentences and paragraphs containing formulated arguments, and did I notice a brief moment of grudging respect in Colin L's tone?

It inevitably didn't last. The anti-brexit/ScotNat massive quickly regained its usual composure.

Coshed? You're utterly deluding yourself, Colin.

skito likes this.
  13. eternumviti

The EU is an ideology, a theology even. It always defaults to putting the project ahead of the people. As you say, economic consequences.

It'll be interesting to see the upshot of the EU's ideologically-based instransigence over their treaty obligation to achieve an FTA. The consequences of not doing so will certainly be economic. They might even be existential.

14. SteveS1

This.

15. SteveS1

No he didn't. No more than you have, but I can seen the points of agreement between you.

ff1d1l likes this.
  16. eternumviti

I think an important point of agreement might be in the area of being more anti-EU than pro-Brexit.

17. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

I'd soft peddle on the points of agreement if I were you ET, unless you want to be thought the type that burps UKIP shite on Arse of Sound.

18. eternumviti

You've lost me again.

ff1d1l likes this.
  19. eternumviti

I decoded it. The platform isn't phone friendly, and I really can't be bothered. Looks quite highbrow on music.

20. Colin L

Grudging respect? Not really. I was merely being nice to draw him in with questions and let him expose himself as the self-absorbed deluded pillock he clearly is. As it turns out he’s apparently Kipper which makes a lot of sense.

I posted to Dec and ff1 after his premature flounce. Didn’t you notice.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020