advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was inevitable that the fire alarm regulations were going to get pushed back due to Covid. Even without Covid it'd have been a struggle for everyone to get done by the 2021 date.

Our house already has linked mains fire alarms in the upstairs and downstairs halls but we'd still need to add a fire alarm in the downstairs living room plus a heat detector in the kitchen. Our boiler is in the hall so it's not clear if that means I can do without a carbon monoxide alarm (I'd previously been advised that getting one was pointless in our case) but might need one in the kitchen. I've not decided whether to put in mains wiring for the detectors in the kitchen and hall or just replace all of them with li-ion battery ones.

For a house like mine the new regulations seem pretty pointless (and I'm assuming it's going to be a lot more that the "average" £220 that the government quotes) and it looks more like it's a knee jerk reaction to the Grenfell fire (although I'm not sure whether fire alarms were actually an issue there). As least I can ignore it for another year though!

Why Grenfell should be shamefully and conveniently hijacked to implement this is beyond me: faulty cladding and accompanying speed of ignition, well intentioned but ultimately lethal fire brigade guidance to remain indoors seem to be the reasons for the appalling loss of life in West London.

A totally different set of circumstances in a particular built form.

Yeah, that’s going to sway over half the population against independence to vote for making themselves poorer. Not that the tories look likely to agree to a referendum.

There’s much to admire in his unrequited love sonnets to Boris. His trove of subsequently deleted tweets make ideal reading on long Covid-Brexit nights,
Like this-
“The free school campaigner also commented on a photo of him next to a woman by joking that he “had my d*** up her a***.”

He also likes to characterise women MPs who criticise his lack of ability as “hard core dykes”. You can see why women generally might fail to be impressed by his abilities-

aFInk2d.jpg

There’s much to admire in his unrequited love sonnets to Boris. His trove of subsequently deleted tweets make ideal reading on long Covid-Brexit nights,
Like this-
“The free school campaigner also commented on a photo of him next to a woman by joking that he “had my d*** up her a***.”

He also likes to characterise women MPs who criticise his lack of ability as “hard core dykes”. You can see why women generally might fail to be impressed by his abilities-

aFInk2d.jpg

^ Strange reading habits you have.

BBC Report: Is Scotland moving towards independence?

It was inevitable that the fire alarm regulations were going to get pushed back due to Covid. Even without Covid it'd have been a struggle for everyone to get done by the 2021 date.

Our house already has linked mains fire alarms in the upstairs and downstairs halls but we'd still need to add a fire alarm in the downstairs living room plus a heat detector in the kitchen. Our boiler is in the hall so it's not clear if that means I can do without a carbon monoxide alarm (I'd previously been advised that getting one was pointless in our case) but might need one in the kitchen. I've not decided whether to put in mains wiring for the detectors in the kitchen and hall or just replace all of them with li-ion battery ones.

For a house like mine the new regulations seem pretty pointless (and I'm assuming it's going to be a lot more that the "average" £220 that the government quotes) and it looks more like it's a knee jerk reaction to the Grenfell fire (although I'm not sure whether fire alarms were actually an issue there). As least I can ignore it for another year though!
At about £15 each for a decent battery co detector in each room with an appliance they are a bargain.

At about £15 each for a decent battery co detector in each room with an appliance they are a bargain.

Not sure if those ones can be used as they need to either be mains wired or have a Li-Ion battery and also be linked in to the other detectors.

Not sure if those ones can be used as they need to either be mains wired or have a Li-Ion battery and also be linked in to the other detectors.
I think it only needs 19 to 27% of CO in the air to be poisonous (scouts visit to fire station about 50 years ago). On a practical level the battery ones do work, we had a gas fire that set one of our detectors off so problems do occur. A few years ago a student died in Durham due to a faulty gas fire.

I think it only needs 19 to 27% of CO in the air to be poisonous (scouts visit to fire station about 50 years ago). On a practical level the battery ones do work, we had a gas fire that set one of our detectors off so problems do occur. A few years ago a student died in Durham due to a faulty gas fire.

While I agree the battery ones do work fine (we use them in the motorhome) they don't meet the new legislation (which could therefore also have insurance implications).

We don't have a CO2 detector in the house at the moment (and it's unclear on whether we'd need one for the new legislation either) as we'd previously been advised by Scottish Gas that it'd be pointless as our boiler isn't inside the house.

The FAQ at the Scottish Government website indicate that tamper proof long life battery alarms are acceptable as long as they are interlinked. So it’s a heat detector in the kitchen and smoke alarms in hall, landing (if any), and living room. Common stairwells in tenement flats are excluded. Carbon monoxide alarms are required where carbon burning occurs eg gas fires/ boilers/ wood burning stoves but these do not require to be interlinked.

The FAQ at the Scottish Government website indicate that tamper proof long life battery alarms are acceptable as long as they are interlinked. So it’s a heat detector in the kitchen and smoke alarms in hall, landing (if any), and living room. Common stairwells in tenement flats are excluded. Carbon monoxide alarms are required where carbon burning occurs eg gas fires/ boilers/ wood burning stoves but these do not require to be interlinked.

I'm probably going to go down the route of the long life battery alarms that interlink wirelessly. That does mean replacing the two mains wired and interlinked alarms we already have (in the upstairs and downstairs halls) but it's still likely to be a lot less hassle than hardwiring another smoke alarm into the living room and a heat alarm into the kitchen. We don't have any gas fires or boilers (which is in the garage) in the house so probably don't need a Co2 detector.

In a house like ours the new legislation does seem pretty pointless as I can't see it improving safety by any significant amount, as the fire alarms in the 2 hallways are still going to be the most important ones. The living room isn't a particularly likely spot for a fire starting in our house (at least not since I've mothballed the valve amp that used to be in there!) although I suppose a heat detector in the kitchen could give a slightly earlier alarm if a fire did start there.

I bet most kitchen fires are chip pan specials which would generate smoke and heat but we had a smoke alarm in a previous upgraded kitchen(rather than heat) and we were forever having false alarms when the roast potatoes came out of the oven!

I bet most kitchen fires are chip pan specials which would generate smoke and heat but we had a smoke alarm in a previous upgraded kitchen(rather than heat) and we were forever having false alarms when the roast potatoes came out of the oven!

Where I used to work, there was a staff room with a microwave and toaster. Every now and then, if someone burned their toast, the fire alarms would go off and the building would be evacuated. A couple of times, the Fire Brigade turned up. Management were not best pleased, and were on the brink of removing the toaster and microwave, when the woman who came in every day to sell sandwiches and snacks said 'Why not just move the toaster so it's not right underneath the smoke alarm?' That did the trick.

Where I used to work, there was a staff room with a microwave and toaster. Every now and then, if someone burned their toast, the fire alarms would go off and the building would be evacuated. A couple of times, the Fire Brigade turned up. Management were not best pleased, and were on the brink of removing the toaster and microwave, when the woman who came in every day to sell sandwiches and snacks said 'Why not just move the toaster so it's not right underneath the smoke alarm?' That did the trick.
I’m a terrible one for burning toast. I like it well done and will flick the toaster on for a second spell then forget about it. Sometimes you can’t see your arm in front of you for the smoke filling the kitchen. It’ll be bye bye to that with these new regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back