advertisement

Scam warning

Im a fairly new user of FB and via a link ordered a book from the publisher/ distributor Wordery which maybe well known to others but not me. All went well I used pp.

the acknowledgement email came in and within a minute of so a email came in ostensibly from pp which i suspected instantly so I opened it with extra precautions, saying my account had issues and i needed to 'check the recent activity/ transaction below'

the Below was in a smaller font..

it was as i knew by then quite bogus.... the senders email was using OS x modalities to make it hard to expand the real senders full address so it had to be copied into safe place to expand.

The nearest it got to being from pp after one expanded it was the partial presence of the word application in the expandd address.

My annoyance is that it came in looking like th email directly below it from pp which was legit.

the bot that i assume is involved and its writers can go swivvle

Hollow laughter in the wings and yes its the first thing i ever bought via fb...

I can only assume it is an account hack, and the payments cashed to an anonymous bank account and nothing sent. Looking at the feedback, it is over a year old, so the account looks fairly 'dormant'. Normally with this sort of thing, you see hundreds of items listed at silly prices, but this has only one item, and the sold feedback is for what looks like silverware or similar.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You must be right. But all this ebay/paypal protection for buyer... I tried to buy one, payment was put on hold, so I canceled it. Maybe paypal already aware of it.

You must be right. But all this ebay/paypal protection for buyer... I tried to buy one, payment was put on hold, so I canceled it. Maybe paypal already aware of it.
Listing now removed. Appears to confirm dodgy-ness !

Every time I look on hifishark, to ogle top end stuff, there’s always rare, expensive items at knockdown prices on Russian sites, presumably not rare but non existent.

It was sold a long time ago before I bought an EAR 802 which was then sold to fund a Herron pre. I see that he advert has now been taken down due to my email to the site.

I warn you lads of a 'Bo Christensen' nick'd newbie fellow member here who asked for a photo of my ID card and of my eBay membership when trying to buy an item advertised here from me. I, of course, refused to give out the data and the sale fell flat but I reckon there seems to be something very much not OK out there...

Hi Tony, I received this bogus PM yesterday:

Hello,
I have seen your wanted advert regarging a ProAc Studio 125s and wanted to know if you still hold interest as I know someone who have one for sale. His name is Jack and email is [email protected]

Erres, Yesterday at 5:37 PM

I can only imagine this came from leaving a "PM sent" comment in the classifieds forum last week! I had a similar problem with the Audiojumble site, all sorts of 'Good Samaritans' coming out of the woodwork offering to help me find a rare item.

I'm sorry these jokers must absorb precious admin time, Best regards, Crippsy.

Hi everyone I believe the ad for Linn ps is a scam as I got forwarded an email address for another ps but guy tried to sell me whole unit £1050? also he said ps would work in Linn Ikemi which it doesn’t as I confirmed with Linn beware seems suspicious note to administrator I would strongly suggest removing or banning member as he also wanted payment by bitcoin?? Be safe :)

My apologies, I was actually contacted by pm by different member, I can’t say that original ad is suspicious in this case but here is link to member that contacted me erres37449

Not hifi related but a new one that will catch many out, phone call asking for credit card details to refund Thomas Cook Holidays, take care

There are definitely snoopers here I believe. I was suspicious when someone on this group went to collect an expensive item that I had alerted the forum to and there was someone else hanging about on the same day and at the same time! There's no other way they would have known to go there and then. Sorry can't be more specific.

received a post, then a message, from Natalia, a pretty new member here, asking about shipping my items to Spain. she(?) asked for photos, too, which I duly sent to the given e-mail address - however, in the reply, apart from the content, all was in Cyrillic... since noted to her(?) no response, duly blocked now. better to be safe than sorry, I reckon

Like any forum where stuff is bought and sold it attracts people with no motive but profit. Same with group buys, people pop up wanting stuff on the cheap who' never given any benefit to the forum. Sod em.

advertisement

Back