advertisement

Scam warning

There are two ads for the same pair of SL2's at the 15hr auction. With an offer to buy it now inside the listing for £2250 and a link to a dodgy looking fake eBay site.

I might be cynical and suspicious but it just screams dodgy to me.

Received these details from 'Hifi for sale' website for a scammer who must be listing on there.

Contact Details.
Tel No.:
Email: [email protected]
He changes his name but the email address is the same

I have a new member from Estonia wanting to buy my Densen B320. He has no history and only joined on the day he sent me a pm. He has asked to pay by PayPal which has made me suspicious.

If he pays by bank transfer, am I safe to go ahead with the transaction? What are the risks?

I would say PayPal is less risky than your personal bank details but if he is paying you before you send the amp and you make it clear that any problem during transit is down to him then I can’t see what can go wrong really.

Surely you can’t just say it arrived damaged there must be proof of some kind otherwise people would be doing it left and right.

I’m not defending this particular guy in anyway shape or form but I know from experience that it isn’t as easy as just saying it’s damaged and even if it were the damaged item has to be returned before any refund is released.
So where would he gain from buying an amp damaging it and then having to send it back damaged to get a refund
Perhaps he has an accomplice working in the Estonian post office who will forge postage and customs documents.
Rather an elaborate scam for a few hundred pounds.

Might he just say it arrived damaged and get Paypal to back the payment?

First day joiner in Estonia? yeh, right.

Yes, that was my fear. Which is why I've told him I'll only accept bank transfer, are there any dangers go doing deal via bank transfer?

Not that I can see. Money arrives, it’s yours. I can’t see how it can be reversed, but interested in other opinions. Watch out for bank charges, and bank exchange rates. He could potentially transfer incorrectly, leaving you short and if you needed to refund for any reason you’d be charged by your bank for international transfer.

Ask me how I know ...

Last time I had a sizable sum deposited in my account form abroad (usa) I was advised to wait for a month before withdrawing it as it could be removed.

Pete

I'm a regular user of Head-Fi but have never heard of this site until researching my newly acquired Pre Box S2D. I'm delighted that one of the first forums I came across was about scamming as I was recently scammed on Head-Fi. Luckily, I was able to get my DAP back from the shit-bird.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

There’s a cheque scam operating at the moment whereby scammer sends cheque, you deposit, shows up as pending cleared funds on your online bank account so you assume it’s legit, send item and, Roberts mother brother, it bounces like a huge rubbery sphere.

Obvious, but worth mentioning.

I was subject to a scam attempt (ive put a thread on this over a year ago explaining the great lengths I went to protecting myself before I posted an expensive CD player). My actions prevented a PayPal repayment but it froze my account for around 3 weeks

When that failed the scammer tried to get a refund through his credit card - he had linked this card to his PP account. That also failed but if it is possible to make a bank transfer in any way via a credit card, beware...

Yes, that was my fear. Which is why I've told him I'll only accept bank transfer, are there any dangers go doing deal via bank transfer?

You need to be aware of a danger in accepting a bank transfer from outside the UK for someone you don't know. If it turns out that the money has come from an account that is known to be, or subsequently shown to be, being used for criminal purposes, then you can get caught up in all that. There have been a few cases of unsuspecting sellers having their current accounts frozen and their names being lodged on various industry warning lists. OK, this is rare, but worth considering.

Were i to accept a payment from abroad from someone I don't know, or can't check out, then I would make it PayPal Gift and wait 10 clear working days before sending via a mainstream, respected international courier, with full online tracking (not just receipt signature). Even then I wouldn't do any transaction over £1000.

There are two ads for the same pair of SL2's at the 15hr auction. With an offer to buy it now inside the listing for £2250 and a link to a dodgy looking fake eBay site.

I might be cynical and suspicious but it just screams dodgy to me.

Yep, I just won an identical auction for a bike and sat back without paying as it looked dodgy. E Bay advised the listing was from a compromised account and cancelled the sale.

I think that’s Bill Hutchinson’s online presence
But I thought he was in Leeds and Edinburgh?
If you check the AVF thread (don't want to duplicate everything here) the only named director of BH HiFi is a William Hutchinson. But current activity is being conducted under the name John Rome. BH HiFi's accountants report that BH HiFi has been dormant for several years, so not sure what to make of the current situation. But since posting, the alleged victim says that this John Rome has offered the same piece of equipment he paid for (Anthem P5) on Audiogon.

BH HiFi are ignoring phone calls & emails on this matter.

advertisement

Back