advertisement

RSD '23 list is out....

I decided not to bother. On first glance at the list I thought there were a few I was interested in. But second glance corrected that.

I will pick up the live Fall record of it's still around when I'm in town tomorrow

I got Bill Evans and Jonathan Richman. The Evans package is very nicely done and indeed sounds very good. My local dealer (SE London) stocked 30 Taylor Swift and sold them all in 45 minutes

Popped into Not Record Store Day at the Book and Record Bar and snagged a nice copy of Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Music on clear vinyl.

That is a truly superb album IMO. One of my favourite electronica albums and very widely sampled years later by The Orb and others. I had the clear vinyl bought new when it came out, though my copy was annoyingly noisy. I let it go decades ago long before I had a record cleaner. I’ll be interested to know if you found a quiet one! FWIW the first issue Virgin CD sounds superb, a really great sounding mastering so that is my current copy.

That is a truly superb album IMO. One of my favourite electronica albums and very widely sampled years later by The Orb and others. I had the clear vinyl bought new when it came out, though my copy was annoyingly noisy. I let it go decades ago long before I had a record cleaner. I’ll be interested to know if you found a quiet one! FWIW the first issue Virgin CD sounds superb, a really great sounding mastering so that is my current copy.

It sounds pretty quiet to me. Just a small pop here and there, but I'll probably put it through the cleaner tomorrow. The clear vinyl with red and green Virgin labels looks great. But now you mention it, I think I have the CD somewhere, which means I may have broken one of my commandments: thou shalt not double-up on formats. D'oh!

I got a few things today - had to have the Nuggets Box Set (even though 2 of the 5 discs are the original double album:()

Nice, I picked up the Amorphous Androgynous too. Also got the Jamiroquai and Ali Farka Toure. We're at my wife's parents on the Isle of Wight and there were no queues at both shops in Ventnor at 9:30ish, one seemed to have most titles that were of mild interest to me. Apparently the Taylor Swift was the one to get :/

Here’s Ken Micallef’s take on some of the jazz titles, a few of which I’d not even noticed on the list.

i went to my local record store wanted the van halen and stevie nicks they did not receive either not willing to pay flippers prices

There’s a fair bit of very limited stuff there, e.g. Fall at 750 copies, Dismemberment Plan 500 etc. Eye-wateringly expensive on the whole though! I didn’t grab anything, though the Roach/Shepp is almost tempting.

PS Someone wanted the Stevie Nicks upthread, it’s there. £50!

There’s a fair bit of very limited stuff there, e.g. Fall at 750 copies, Dismemberment Plan 500 etc. Eye-wateringly expensive on the whole though! I didn’t grab anything, though the Roach/Shepp is almost tempting.

PS Someone wanted the Stevie Nicks upthread, it’s there. £50!

I can't get too excited about reissues of stuff that is significantly more expensive than buying the original pressing. There's a Ben Webster live album (ltd to 500) that's £40. Discogs has the median price of the original (a ltd Dutch fan club release) as £13. I guess if only NM will do then it makes sense but...

And £68 for a Charlie Parker compilation of previously released material!

I couldn't believe the RSD sisters reptile house is £37!! wtf. I'll stick to my original copy! Passed on the Arooj Aftab in the end once I realised the b side tracks are just lifted straight off the album, so including postage you're paying about £25 for two tracks. Sod that.

Too expensive.
Wanted the Mr Benn music and the Behind The Dykes 3 compilation but profiteerers are doing their thing as usual, they can eff off.

I tried grabbing some online…

some things I wanted were available. Went to checkout. Systems crashed. Tried again and again. No longer in stock. For Sale on eBay for twice the price.

RSD is just a con. Insert swearing of choice.

advertisement

Back