advertisement

RSD '23 list is out....

Surely it would be better if new releases by current artists were included? It’s just reissues or ‘re-discoveries’. Chatting to a record dealer today & he says big increases on LPS on the horizon, Universal putting prices up by 40%! Standard albums at £35!

I ended up buying 4 CDs for £2-3 each instead. Actually listening to Bruce Springsteen - The River all the way through, I have it in vinyl but having a copy in CD is very convenient.

Kids can’t afford to pay the prices for vinyl, so he is stocking up on lots of CDs & doing well with them.

Ume make huge sums on Legacy acts & Outsource all vinyl production
Basically drag & drop file from server & Email to lowest bidder pressing plant
Subcontractor cuts lacquers , prints covers & send direct to distribution warehouse
Production Cost £3-5 , Sale @ £ 35 Simples

Universal Summary for 2021 Results ( Soon to be Amazon or Apple Universal Music )
Revenue of €8,504 million, representing growth of 17.0%
Recorded Music subscription and streaming revenue grew 19.8%
Net cash €1,395 million compared to €1,133 million in 2020
Shareholder final dividend €363 million

It’s ironic that the other 364 days in the record shop calendar now play second fiddle to RSD.
Record Store Day is harming, not helping, independent music shops
RSD , RSD Drops , RSD Black Friday etc

I think going forward that my new music vinyl purchases are going to be much more curated and scrutinised. I already have enough music that I completely forget I own something from one year to the next so buying tons of new stuff doesn't seem like a good use of money any more. In fact I could actually do with getting rid of some of it.

Surely it would be better if new releases by current artists were included?

This certainly used to be the case, lots of limited editions from new bands etc. Some of my RSD purchases (I don’t buy many) have been in that category, e.g. Mugstar, Nubya Garcia etc. I’m sure there are still a few, but I suspect the new band scene has moved to Bandcamp and a few major indie sellers without any need to do it on one day a year.

The thing I found interesting from Mike’s video above is it looks like the edition numbers have been cut back significantly. For a long time there were very few things I’d describe as ‘limited’, my definition of that is 500 copies or less. I guess globally a couple of thousand tops, e.g. I was very surprised I scored both the signed Ron Carter albums (edition of 1999 globally). I’d have thought they’d have flown out. Other things seem “limited” to what they thought they could sell, e.g. I think the Bowie live albums were in the 5-10k range. I landed Welcome To The Blackout whenever I was next in Manchester, which I think was the following Wednesday.

Just checked my collection on Discogs and I have 15 RSD items since the very start of it. Given the amount of new vinyl I buy that really is a tiny percentage.

This certainly used to be the case, lots of limited editions from new bands etc. Some of my RSD purchases (I don’t buy many) have been in that category, e.g. Mugstar, Nubya Garcia etc. I’m sure there are still a few, but I suspect the new band scene has moved to Bandcamp and a few major indie sellers without any need to do it on one day a year.

The thing I found interesting from Mike’s video above is it looks like the edition numbers have been cut back significantly. For a long time there were very few things I’d describe as ‘limited’, my definition of that is 500 copies or less. I guess globally a couple of thousand tops, e.g. I was very surprised I scored both the signed Ron Carter albums (edition of 1999 globally). I’d have thought they’d have flown out. Other things seem “limited” to what they thought they could sell, e.g. I think the Bowie live albums were in the 5-10k range. I landed Welcome To The Blackout whenever I was next in Manchester, which I think was the following Wednesday.

Just checked my collection on Discogs and I have 15 RSD items since the very start of it. Given the amount of new vinyl I buy that really is a tiny percentage.
I do recall more modern acts getting involved but where there’s a buck to be made the majors will step in.

I buy increasingly from Bandcamp, mainly downloads as the p&p can be very high. Quite a lot of HD content also.

I'm not a massive RSD-er but I'm not sure this batch is any worse than previous years - I can see plenty of interesting stuff.

The Fall live LP is intriguing as it's a very early performance. The Heroin discography 2xLP on Southern Lord is an interesting release. The March Violets LP hasn't previously been issued on vinyl. The Max Romeo LP hasn't been reissued in 50 years and will set you back £60 for an original copy. The Suede demos LP is a nice item if you're a fan of the band. etc etc. It's (thankfully) not all Motley Crue picture discs.

It should be renamed, "Sunny Sunday Mill Valley Groove Day." in honor of Doug Sahm (and Frank Black).

sir-douglas-quintet-texas-tornado-live.jpg

Son Volt - Day of Doug

son-volt-day-of-the-doug.jpg

Prefab Sprout, Steve McQueen Acoustic (12" Vinyl, limited to 2,850 copies)
Originally released in 1985, Prefab Sprout announce the RSD exclusive vinyl release of Steve McQueen Acoustic. In the summer of 2006, Paddy McAloon recorded new versions of tracks from Prefab Sprout's critically acclaimed album, Steve McQueen - rebuilding them from scratch with acoustic guitars, sequencers and samples, with producer Calum Malcolm. Always looking to move forward and reimagine work, Paddy said of the release "like many people - I'm always curious to hear another take on a song."

They released this about five years ago on RSD. It's really good but I don't need another copy unless Paddy is handing it over.

Strange that they’re repressing that one. Sells for £100 though so must be demand for it.

The Shirley Scott is a bit of a duffer apparently. Looks like Walter Bishop Jr is the Jazz find of RSD, along with the Bill Evans.

advertisement

Back