advertisement

RSD '23 list is out....

Piccadilly Records in Manchester do not have the two i am interested in. Bill Evans and Walter Bishop. Grrr.

Not an RSD release, but Ian Hunter's new album comes out on Friday, but I will not be able to get to a record shop until Saturday....which is RSD. I was going to pick one up from Rough Trade in Nottingham, but that will likely mean hours queuing for a record on general release. Looks like I will have to go to HMV instead, as I don't think they are allowed in...

How does he get away with putting his stock online the next morning? I always thought the rules were a week to give the shops a chance...

Many have it up 6:00-8:00pm the same day. I’ve bought a few bits over the years that way. I’m sure Rough Trade, Piccadilly, Norman etc all have stuff up online straight after the physical shop shuts for the day. I’ve certainly done the frenzy-refresh of multiple shops thing to land a couple of bits in the past.

PS I really don’t think RSD is limited in most cases these days, the runs of popular titles are huge, many thousands, even tens of thousands in some cases. Just a cash in. So much stuff on Bandcamp is way, way more limited, often 50-500 copies. Nothing in this year’s RSD of much interest to me at all to be honest. Despite Mike’s enthusiasm I think its jumped the shark now.

How does he get away with putting his stock online the next morning? I always thought the rules were a week to give the shops a chance...
Yes its a bit naughty. I have put email notifications to a couple of shops that are stocking them and if they don`t sell on the day, i get a chance.Not in the spirit of RSD though.

Many have it up 6:00-8:00pm the same day. I’ve bought a few bits over the years that way. I’m sure Rough Trade, Piccadilly, Norman etc all have stuff up online straight after the physical shop shuts for the day. I’ve certainly done the frenzy-refresh of multiple shops thing to land a couple of bits in the past.

I see they've changed it. It's supposed to be embargoed until the Monday morning now so that the shops have the weekend.

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/about/

Still watching the In Groove video… as to the edition numbers Mike reckons he has seven feet of Taylor Swift!

Still watching the In Groove video… as to the edition numbers Mike reckons he has seven feet of Taylor Swift!

He must be one of the big indies in the US now. He's got serious space at the back. Last year he had all (literally) of the Art Pepper's in mono

The Doors 3inch singles with Custom Mini Turntable

The Book And Record Bar in deepest South That London have are holding a Not Record Store Day with nearly a thousand original pressings of classic albums going out on Saturday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq_Fvlfoq9Z/

I was speaking with the owner Michael last week and had a flick through the new stock. Some really interesting stuff in there, all in very good nick. He's given up on RSD because of the proliferation of bland releases on multicolour vinyl. A box of old RSD titles sits in the corner, barely shifting even at 30% off. RSD is also the one day of the year when I actively avoid record shops. I might pop down to the bar, though. Dr Alex is bound to be knocking another excellent set of tunes and spoken-word interludes.

A box of old RSD titles sits in the corner, barely shifting even at 30% off.

That doesn’t surprise me. Whenever I’ve scanned the listings I’ve always considered what I’d actually want to buy in as a dealer and every year it is just a handful of titles, though the good ones I’d take a fair few copies of. By good I mean things like the signed Ron Carter, live Bowie, a fair few audiophile-grade jazz reissues etc. I’ve absolutely no interest in usually poorly mastered colour vinyl reissues of titles you can find really nice originals in the £5-15 range. I’ll never understand people queuing round the block for that sort of thing.

PS From a pure collector perspective I think coloured vinyl is very boring now. I want signed copies, hand-printed sleeves, very low edition numbers etc. I find Bandcamp and keeping an eye on Rough Trade, Norman etc far more interesting in this regard.

advertisement

Back