advertisement

RSD 2019

I know where there is a copy of TMR in Brum, but I realize that’s not a lot of use to you unless you are too.

Not in Brum, but this makes me wonder whether we should pool our resources as a cooperative buying power.

Today I saw a few couples of Drag Racing by Big Stick. I saw that Wylton wanted a copy and was half tempted to buy another copy and let him have it for cost.

But...I don't know him, don't know where he lives and don't know whether he found himself a copy. So I didn't.

Maybe next year we should have a think about this....

Would love to have been at the RSD meeting where some executive stood up, slammed their hands on the table and said, "Two words, ladies and gentlemen: BIG STICK!"

Seriously tho great band.

My operatives are struggling to locate Bill Evans and Beefheart. Nightmare.
I rang a store I will be passing tomorrow on your behalf, but was told Bill Evans had all gone and he didn’t get any Beefheart because ‘hardly any made it to the UK’ (lying sod.)

Don’t worry about the Beefheart, its a ‘RSD first’, i.e. that is its release date, but it is not limited. It will be back!

My partner was able to pick up a copy of the Kirchin from Casbah Records in Greenwich for me this morning and he told her they had two left. It was a black copy. :( ;)

My partner was able to pick up a copy of the Kirchin from Casbah Records in Greenwich for me this morning and he told her they had two left.

I can’t imagine that one being an especially hard find at this stage, in fact I’m surprised it wasn’t a 500 pressing given the obscurity of content! I knew roughly what I was buying/what to expect, but I suspect there will be quite a few second hand copies given time as it is fairly ambient musique concrete mixed with free jazz noodling from Derek Bailey and Evan Parker and won’t appeal to all.

I can’t imagine that one being an especially hard find at this stage, in fact I’m surprised it wasn’t a 500 pressing given the obscurity of content! I knew roughly what I was buying/what to expect, but I suspect there will be quite a few second hand copies given time as it is fairly ambient musique concrete mixed with free jazz noodling from Derek Bailey and Evan Parker and won’t appeal to all.
People can't get enough of Basil Kirchin! The vinyl always sells out and is worth a bob or two a few years down the line.

People can't get enough of Basil Kirchin! The vinyl always sells out and is worth a bob or two a few years down the line.

Interesting. I have another one, Abstractions Of The Industrial North, which is rather good as I recall.

PS I notice someone has listed a copy of the original Columbia issue of Worlds Within Worlds for £7.7k and the immortal words ‘this is not a joke price’! (Discogs)

Well I'm glad I got a copy although I have not had a chance to play it yet. I had a pretty good idea of what to expect having some Bailey and Parker recordings and having seen both of them live in the past and have also listened to Pierre Schaeffer, Pierre Boulez, etc. But I would have passed at well short of £7.7K?;)

Well, I went to my local RSD store - X Records in Bolton - and bought a copy of the Beefheart. They had a few copies left if anyone is interested.
Excellent - my advice is to approach cautiously. Start by playing ‘Moonlight on Vermont’ and ‘Pachuco Cadaver’ a few times rather than plunging straight in.

advertisement

Back