advertisement

RSD 2019

Totally agree Tony, I'd much prefer 140 to 180 on anything.

I bought that Trout Mask Replica by signing up to the third man subscription just for one relaease - is it the same? - Coloured splattery vinyl? I have to admit I bought it because I thought 'I was ready for it' ... but turns out I'm not :) Sides 3 & 4 remain unplayed...

I was going to pick up Herbie Hancock Dedication LP (which is great if you like that synth / sequenced era of HH), and possibly the Bill Evans depending on the recording (not the mastering, the actual recording).

I bought that Trout Mask Replica by signing up to the third man subscription just for one relaease - is it the same? - Coloured splattery vinyl? I have to admit I bought it because I thought 'I was ready for it' ... but turns out I'm not :) Sides 3 & 4 remain unplayed...

No, just black vinyl. Again I didn’t realise there was a coloured vinyl version!

PS Just played it all now, aside from side 3 it is really nice and quiet.

The Beefheart is a really beautiful package; stunning US-style paper on board cover, really nice heavy-paper tri-fold insert, poly inners and seems like a very nice mastering (a lot warmer than I remember)

alright Tony don’t rub it in

Well, I never knew 180gm vinyl was problematic. I've never detected a correlation between vinyl thickness & sound quality either. I do have a couple of very thin vinyl pressings (e.g. Copperhead Road) that still sound excellent.

Didn’t realise there were any! Mine is just a black one.

There are supposed to be 250 gold ones randomly distributed in the total of 1,500 copies:

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2019/basil-kirchin/

I'll be satisfied with a black one if I can get one. Just wondered. Probable go for even more on EBay if the scalpels get any?

Couldn't be bothered with the Beefheart whatever the colour as I'm happy with my original And I don't like 2x45's.

Is this the one that came with a bag and a single?

Just been to Rough Trade East for a lunchtime browse and picked up a copy of Drag Racing. Still a few there....

Anyone get the Tangerine Dream Poland? Had it on vinyl 20 years ago wondering if this is worth picking up?
Really wanted the Bill Evans. Seemed my city didn't get much. Anyone know of any London Shops have any left?
Have a friend who can collect one

My local still has a copy of of the Kirchin, they did a great job considering you can only get about 8 people in the shop at once.

My operatives are struggling to locate Bill Evans and Beefheart. Nightmare.
Try Square Records in Wimborne - just send them an email, they might post what they have......which brings me to my RSD2 story (,not the dustbin shaped robot!).....

On Saturday I missed out on the John Lennon and Prefab Sprout releases. Looking at eBay dashed my hopes; at those stupid prices the had surely all been bought....surely. As I work away in Dorset I decided to take a punt on Square Records in Wimborne. How lucky was I?

Lucky....they had both, and I had a nice chat with the boss man and a customer about my choices. It also turns out they only sell new records, which I thought was quite novel!

The cover picture of the RSD/Third Man ‘Trout Mask’ definitely seems sharper than previous issues, as has been documented. But I’m sure that can’t be the reason why, in 40 years plus of owning a copy, I’ve never noticed before that the Cap’n is wearing a shuttlecock on top of his hat.

The rear sleeve pic is of course one of the funniest ever.

advertisement

Back