advertisement

RSD 2019

Musically excellent, with some beautiful and emotional playing from Evans. The recording is mixed; you get a clear, albeit, narrow window onto Evans's piano, but the recording of the drums is awful. Also, I'm not convinced mono suits this kind of piano trio. Overall definitely worth having, but I can't say if the vinyl is essential over cd.

I’m listening to the Evans at the moment. Greatly enjoying it, but the drums sound as if there weren’t any, errr drums, just cymbals. Very clearly recorded cymbals though. I’m guessing that’s something to do with the single microphone that was used. Actually side 4 sounds better. Well worth having though.

I’ve not noticed any issues caused by the side lengths.

I’m listening to the Evans at the moment. Greatly enjoying it, but the drums sound as if there weren’t any, errr drums, just cymbals.

Yes exactly; dreadful single mic technique. A shame because if they'd recorded this at 'Live at VV' quality it would be an absolute classic. I will listen again later tonight, because I've not heard side 4 yet.

I just bought the Big Stick 7" from Banquet Records, on-line, so I managed to get everything I wanted in the end - there was only 2 left when I checked (now one).

I was able to get three bits of Rolling Stones vinyl from my local store yesterday. Whilst RSD prices are undeniably a rip off they were still cheaper than the many eBayers chancing their arm....

I don't like how they list remaining stock online, basically list everything and you have to click on it to find out if it is in stock or not, can they not just list what they have left?

I don't like how they list remaining stock online, basically list everything and you have to click on it to find out if it is in stock or not, can they not just list what they have left?
Norman Records are updating their list pretty frequently. They had Trout Mask Replica at 8am but when I thought about posting it here 30 mins later I checked again and they had sold out.

I got Basil Kirchin and John Grant (for a mate)...from Resident ,midnight online ,they had a few titles which were hard to get..worth having a scoot at..

I’m listening to the Evans at the moment. Greatly enjoying it, but the drums sound as if there weren’t any, errr drums, just cymbals. Very clearly recorded cymbals though. I’m guessing that’s something to do with the single microphone that was used. Actually side 4 sounds better. Well worth having though.

I’ve not noticed any issues caused by the side lengths.
I’m listening to the CD version, which arrived this morning. I have to say I hear a full set of drums, albeit they are not being played in a Bonhamesque fashion. I agree that the cymbals are very prominent, though.

Really? This is exactly my thing; I'd better go on a hunt tomorrow.

I bought mine direct from Trunk online (unfortunately I missed the gold pressing the same as most).

Eternally grateful to Jonny Trunk for introducing me to Basil Kirchin years back, the man was a genius.

I’m listening to the Evans at the moment. Greatly enjoying it, but the drums sound as if there weren’t any, errr drums, just cymbals. Very clearly recorded cymbals though.

Well that's saved me £35, I like to hear the drums :)

My Herbie Hancock Dedication is a nice package and looks the business but the only track I wanted it for (Nobu) has plenty of crackling at several places. The rest seem silent. Typical - reminded me of why I've almost given up buying vinyl.

Listening to the Evans in England on CD, there is definitely a strong cymbal presence with bass drum making the odd appearance. The SQ is not great but it is effectively a bootleg. Enjoyable set but I'm glad I opted for the far cheaper CD (less than £18).

Listening to the Evans in England on CD, there is definitely a strong cymbal presence with bass drum making the odd appearance. The SQ is not great but it is effectively a bootleg. Enjoyable set but I'm glad I opted for the far cheaper CD (less than £18).
Lots of snare too, to my ears! I’m guessing yours came from Amazon, like mine - I see they are also allowing orders on the ‘temporarily out of stock’ vinyl at £32. We shall see...

Lots of snare too, to my ears! I’m guessing yours came from Amazon, like mine - I see they are also allowing orders on the ‘temporarily out of stock’ vinyl at £32. We shall see...
Correct, Amazon. The drums are a bit splashy & indistinct but they were recorded on one mic. Bass & piano sound fine but nowhere near the quality of the 'official' releases.

advertisement

Back