advertisement

roon

...I thought the whole point of Roon was that it “just works” with all devices and all services without the end user having to dick around?

It does "just work" on a NUC Rock. Personally I don't see the point of even trying to run it off a NAS. I used a 5 bay NAS as the file source but then switched to hanging an 8TB disc off the NUC - It works better and I back the disc up to the NAS periodically. Saves having a noisy NAS running all the time using power.

On SQ grounds running Roon on a NAS must be sub-optimal. It's electronically a noisy environment. I recently purchased a KECES P8 to power the NUC (and hard disc) and the improvement in SQ is clear.

Am I the only one who just does not get Roon, I really can't see the point and cost. I had the free trial and decided it's pointless and expensive. Is there anyone else out there?
Lots of folk don’t get ROON or feel it’s worth the dosh, so no you’re not alone.

If you do use the stuff it brings to the table, over and above what the usual suspects like LMS/Volumio/Naim/Bluesound/SONOS supply for free or peanuts then it’s worth it imho. I’ve not found anything out there yet that works as well. Over several years I’ve had nothing show stopping and all software/Apps have their bumps in the road.

The cost is often raised, it amuses me when someone with a system costing ten/twenty or more £grand winges about a hundred quid a year, bit like buying a set of huge f**k off Class A Monos and complaining the leccy bill has bumped.

I had a 'hang' regarding displaying album artwork yesterday whilst playing a ripped CD via the Innuos up to my iMac/Motu interface. A reboot of iMac, which had been on for some time, sorted it.

I've long since given up on any software being 100% viable. There are always issues with elements of software along the way. The problem comes with the bespoke support needed for users often quite unique combinations. EG anyone out there use exactly this config: Core - Innuos Zenith III, into Mini DSPSHD, then Sonos Playbar, Sonos Amp, Sonos Move, Onkyo AV receiver, Ipad Pro, Ipad, Iphone 11 Pro x 2.

I accept the cost is premium, but in my set up Roon has been 99% reliable. Usually the Innuos or imac being rebooted has solved any issues.

I only visit the Room chat for 'how to's'. I don't actively participate in many forums, actually. Folk can be very disrespectful and condescending.

OK, you must be correct, and all the other users who have this issue also stupid....

To quote another poster on roons forum for some balance. :) https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-7-build-667-no-automatic-file-rescan-anymore/124916/31

fifolifo
4h
I don’t know what’s worse. That this particular problem with build 667, released 35 days ago, hasn’t been fixed yet or that despite everyone who runs Roon on a NAS with a root music folder experiencing the same exact issue that support is still asking for screenshots like it’s some type of mystifying inconsistent phenomenon.

Perhaps it’s the irony that the whole point behind this maintenance release seems tailor made to address a problem such as this one as the bug and the affected group is so readily apparent.

“…they allow for more flexibility in the future for how we distribute releases to users, so we can test bug fixes with affected users before they go live to the wider Roon community.”

Personally, the thing that annoys me the most is that I’m very careful with software updates and read every release note and the release notes for build 667 seemed to imply that the affected changes were with how it interacted with Roon’s end and not how it worked locally.

“We have a maintenance release going live, with some infrastructure changes related to our updating system.
The changes in Build 667 should be largely invisible…”

If you had added some additional information in the release notes about changes to how local file directories were handled or released it as version 1.8, I would have never updated and waited for the next release. And I would be enjoying and listening to music right now instead of writing my first rant post since running Roon trouble free for nearly three years.

This is indeed poor and I would find it annoying, the issue I have is you have conflated it into a narrative of innuendo about Roon’s financial viability - full of hearsay and inaccuracies.

“Roon update impacted some QNAP systems and Roon are being too slow to fix it - causing annoyance”.
Nothing else to see here, so walk on.
.sjb

Another lifetime subscriber here with no problems. The lifetime subscription cost is now high, but I’m guessing they want to encourage new users to provide monthly income rather than provide a pot of money as they did at start up.

From what I know the OP is nonsense.
The Roonies say there has been rapid subscriber growth and they are adding employees.

As far as "kicking off" HW partners - that's not what happened.

There are apparently multiple supposed HW "partners" who advertised their devices as "Roon Ready" when they hadn't received certification from Roon. That's obviously important to Roon, as they certify after verifying that the HW works properly in all aspects with Roon.

After long periods of asking these manufacturers to complete certification, Roon now doesn't allow use of uncertified devices that advertise themselves as "Roon Ready" and exploit the Roon branding/logo.

Generic devices can still run as Roon endpoints with Roon or Roon Bridge - both of which are perfectly usuable - but these aren't "certified" on each device.

Several of the manufacturers in question have stated they are now updating their devices so they will be certified as Roon Ready.

Am I the only one who just does not get Roon, I really can't see the point and cost. I had the free trial and decided it's pointless and expensive. Is there anyone else out there?

As a Roon partner I am not with you myself, but you are definitely not alone. There are plenty of other people who do not "get" Roon and do not see value in the things it does over and above other cheap or free alternatives. That is totally fine. Happily there are lots of great options out there.

“Regarding the latest important changes to how Roon interacts with Roon Ready devices, thanks to the Aqua Acoustic Quality proprietary code (firmware) developed in-house for the LinQ, Cristian and his team were able to implement a custom Roon Endpoint that does not require the certification program.”
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/09/aqua-acoustic-quality-and-roon.html

Why would Aqua not want to adhere to the official Roon certification program? Apparently Roon doesn’t charge manufacturers and their customers would surely prefer if their devices were officially certified?

“Regarding the latest important changes to how Roon interacts with Roon Ready devices, thanks to the Aqua Acoustic Quality proprietary code (firmware) developed in-house for the LinQ, Cristian and his team were able to implement a custom Roon Endpoint that does not require the certification program.”
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/09/aqua-acoustic-quality-and-roon.html

Why would Aqua not want to adhere to the official Roon certification program? Apparently Roon doesn’t charge manufacturers and their customers would surely prefer if their devices were officially certified?

Who knows? Maybe they asked and Roon said you'll need to change a,b and c as we think these may cause issues.

For product to be Roon ready, Roon need to be sure that they won't be spending hours of support time on issues.

Probably no different than some products using shareplay rather than get apple Airplay certified.

.sjb

The LinQ device didn’t meet the requirements of Roon for certification. Essentially if you switched away from the Roon module, playback via Roon was supposed to pause or halt. It didn’t and they were asked to rectify the situation which they declined to do if I read the situation correctly. Neither side dealt with the situation particularly well.

With regards to their Roon Ready programme, they gave manufacturers the better part of twelve months notice of the need to get full certification. Then they disabled the ability of non certified devices to work with people who were not registered beta testers. They have since extended beta tester status to users who purchased and used their devices before the cut off date, but to be clear here this is a situation that is in the gift of the manufacturers to correct, and most are.

From what I understand, the majority of the Qnap issues began after a software update issued by Qnap. Not the 1.7(667) release of the Roon software. But if they happened around the same time confusing the two would be understandable. But what it does mean is the vast majority of Roon users are unaffected by those issues.

I can’t make any informed comment on Roon and any financial backers they may (or may not) have. But it does remind me of the constant reports of the demise of Tidal even when anyone who could read a balance sheet could see Tidal was actually well financed. I suspect Roon will be around for the foreseeable future.

It does "just work" on a NUC Rock.
It should “just work” on anything they advertise it as working on. A Nucleus, a Roon Rock, a suitably specced NAS or Windows device or Apple device, whatever. It’s not good enough to tell people to “just get a Rock” when they encounter problems on other machines, nor for that matter is it good enough to suggest that classical music is effectively unsupported whenever a user has a problem with a search.

From what I understand, the majority of the Qnap issues began after a software update issued by Qnap. Not the 1.7(667) release of the Roon software.
Not so, all other apps work; PLEX, Asset UPNP etc etc. Just roon doesn't. IF QNAP had such an issue they would roll-out an updated within 24 hours.

Roon is at its best if you have music files on a local drive AND you use Tidal/Qobuz to stream. If you only do one of these two things then it is a luxury. If you do both, and want them to appear as a single database of music, then it is essential.

A serial Roon trial user here. Decided to buy annual subscription yestermonth. Tried and bought Volumio too. Happily using Roon, installed on ROCK to drive 1 set high end, 2 DAC boxes, SoTM and 2 RaspBerry streamers and 8 other speaker sets scattered in 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms. Using mainly with Tidal.

Happy with it so far, hence careless about OP rantings... they were one nudge above BS to me.

Last edited:
Are we destined to be ruled by anecdotes and algorithms, constantly at war with each other, while facts die, gasping for breath in the surrounding ditches of rationality?

Only joking.

Never heard of Roon.
I’ve never come across anyone in France who uses it.
What’s all the fuss here about? A UK thing only?

advertisement

Back