advertisement

roon

Roon running just fine for me from NUC/Rock. I love Roon, far and away above anything else in the market. The integration of rips and Qobuz is so seamless and perfect. I have two fears regarding the long-term viability of Roon:

1. The music market will move completely away from ownership to 100% streaming, this is inevitable. At that point it won’t be possible to own anything other than second hand purchases, and at that point will Roon be able to recruit new subscribers? With a combo of rips and streaming Roon is vital, if you are streaming only it becomes a nice-to-have, just a better way of indexing a subscription streaming service's content.

2. Roon only works with Qobuz and Tidal. I expect both will fold over the next few years. Then what?

Roon is certainly the best solution for me at the moment because it integrates my own rips and downloads with content from Qobuz, and the artist, album and work links are good, as are the reviews. But it is far from perfect, and often frustrating. It is very poor at allowing you to organize your library, which gets increasingly frustrating the bigger it gets and the search is close to hopeless. The attitude of the company is worrying. I don’t listen to my own stuff much nowadays so Roon is really a wrap-around for Qobuz, and nearly doubles its price. Qobuz could improve their product, or disappear, Amazon could get better, there are many possible ways the future can unfold. I’m glad I haven’t bought any dedicated hardware or lifetime subscriptions.

Last edited:
The have apparently lost there financial (overseas,China) backing due to there eco-system being too intrusive and they have recently kick out loads of manufacturers from their authorised roon compliant list.

What financial backing? According to whom?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/wh...ribers-if-the-company-folds-or-is-sold/4540/6

A financial backer would only care about making money. They would not care about whether the Roon ecosystem was too intrusive (whatever that means) or booting of manufacturers (if that actually happened). It is a small and not terribly important detail, but Roon certifies products rather than manufacturers.

Even the products that were working under a development licence have been deauthorised by roon.

This is what actually happened (and why)...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/uncertified-roon-ready-devices-announcement/120298
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-fix-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/120426

This is not how I would have chosen to handle things, but I can at least understand their motives.

The are stopping/have stopped the lifetime payment option.

No they haven't. They did recently add an extra subscription option with monthly billing though, so you now have three options rather than two.

https://roonlabs.com/pricing

Are they grasping at straws for cash?

Not that I know of, but like any business they have finite resources, so I expect that they have to prioritise issues as they arise. Probably only a small proportion of their customers are running Roon on a QNAP NAS, which might make that platform a lower priority than some others.

Their latest release 1.7 (667) is a bag of shit too.......... on various levels.

What exactly is the problem that you are experiencing? Have you raised a support ticket and submitted your logs to Roon. That has a much better chance of resolving the problem than posting here. You might also want to contact QNAP. I just had a look at the Roon community forum and it seems like many of the recent issues referencing "QNAP" started following a QNAP NAS firmware update.

As a lifetime subscriber and Nucleus owner I still find Roon to be great - although a lot hangs on the Tidal integration. Roon Radio does seem less good than before Valence came into it - if I’m playing Renaissance solo lute I don’t want 19th century organ music next - but overall I’m happy.

@Strictly Stereo I have tried everything and have raised the issue with roon 5 weeks ago. Plenty of QNAP users have too. roon know the issue is in their software too.

Danny has stated the lifetime sub is soon to go away on many threads.

I think it’s great software and I understand that it is a developing software. I always worried about it in the long term though so I couldn’t bring myself to make a lifetime investment. I also presumed other streaming services would catch up though it’s not really the case.

Last edited:
Not sure what is happening with Roon. My subscription runs out shortly and I won't be renewing. In terms of a sophisticated UI to blend music libraries from various sources I think they have pretty much gone as far as they can.

All the DSP elements Roon offer will be made redundant soon by automated room correction offerings from the likes of Dirac etc. I suspect that will be the next focus for the hi-fi industry. Most reviews I watch now seem to mention room acoustics somewhere - no bad thing but it does seem to be a new thing.

You don't get DSP free anywhere. You have to pay for it.

Does anyone know what's really going on with roon ATM?

The have apparently lost there financial (overseas,China) backing due to there eco-system being too intrusive and they have recently kick out loads of manufacturers from their authorised roon compliant list.

Even the products that were working under a development licence have been deauthorised by roon.
The are stopping/have stopped the lifetime payment option.
Are they grasping at straws for cash?

Their latest release 1.7 (667) is a bag of shit too.......... on various levels.

AS SEEN ON ROON FORUM:

"Hello all,
There is a typically unpleasant naysayer by the stupid moniker of “Cereal Killer” at Pinkfish Media audio forum who is ranting on the doom and demise of Roon. Apparently it’s due to the fact that he’s incompetent and incapable of correctly configuring the software. Of course, as typical behaviour from this guy, he resorts to defending various baseless conspiracy theories and insulting posters who indicate they enjoy using Roon. Roon certainly works well enough for me and there is no similar competition to my mind that can compete. I find it unnerving that moronic forum warriors can sling mud at a product that they clearly aren’t intelligent enough to use. Brgds."

No, I'm just a Yorkshire man who calls a spade a spade. roon have known of this issue for over 5 weeks and they (knowingly) have done F.A. to resolve it. Which to me means they don't have the capacity or are too ignorant to care.

Fully confident that the "ignorance" isn't on the Roon side...

OK, you must be correct, and all the other users who have this issue also stupid....

To quote another poster on roons forum for some balance. :) https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-7-build-667-no-automatic-file-rescan-anymore/124916/31

fifolifo
4h
I don’t know what’s worse. That this particular problem with build 667, released 35 days ago, hasn’t been fixed yet or that despite everyone who runs Roon on a NAS with a root music folder experiencing the same exact issue that support is still asking for screenshots like it’s some type of mystifying inconsistent phenomenon.

Perhaps it’s the irony that the whole point behind this maintenance release seems tailor made to address a problem such as this one as the bug and the affected group is so readily apparent.

“…they allow for more flexibility in the future for how we distribute releases to users, so we can test bug fixes with affected users before they go live to the wider Roon community.”

Personally, the thing that annoys me the most is that I’m very careful with software updates and read every release note and the release notes for build 667 seemed to imply that the affected changes were with how it interacted with Roon’s end and not how it worked locally.

“We have a maintenance release going live, with some infrastructure changes related to our updating system.
The changes in Build 667 should be largely invisible…”

If you had added some additional information in the release notes about changes to how local file directories were handled or released it as version 1.8, I would have never updated and waited for the next release. And I would be enjoying and listening to music right now instead of writing my first rant post since running Roon trouble free for nearly three years.

Suppose all these users must be thick too:

And that's just the last hours.....
So tell me, is roon in perpetual beta mode or will it ever reach alpha?

AS SEEN ON ROON FORUM:

"Hello all,
There is a typically unpleasant naysayer by the stupid moniker of “Cereal Killer” at Pinkfish Media audio forum who is ranting on the doom and demise of Roon. Apparently it’s due to the fact that he’s incompetent and incapable of correctly configuring the software. Of course, as typical behaviour from this guy, he resorts to defending various baseless conspiracy theories and insulting posters who indicate they enjoy using Roon. Roon certainly works well enough for me and there is no similar competition to my mind that can compete. I find it unnerving that moronic forum warriors can sling mud at a product that they clearly aren’t intelligent enough to use. Brgds."

I’ve never quite understood, having encountered it a few times, why Roon generates this kind of touchy defensiveness in some people. I’ve used it for nearly a year and have never felt the need to snap back at criticism of it.

The kind of sneering ad hom post you’ve apparently registered here just to repeat does its author, or if it remains unchallenged there, the Roon forum, no favours in terms of reputation.

I’ve never quite understood, having encountered it a few times, why Roon generates this kind of touchy defensiveness in some people. I’ve used it for nearly a year and have never felt the need to snap back at criticism of it.

The kind of sneering ad hom post you’ve apparently registered here just to repeat does its author, or if it remains unchallenged there, the Roon forum, no favours in terms of reputation.

The Roon forum is definitely one of the most toxic environments I have ever encountered on the internet.

Some of the members on there would defend Roon even if they began charging £1000 a month and employed third world labour at 25p an hour. That forum is a psychologists wet dream.

I am a Roon user also with lifetime subscription, thankfully paid for before they double the cost. Roon has been shaky for me recently also, but no worse than any other similar software, so still outweighs itself. However that forum would be enough to put me off for sure!

...I thought the whole point of Roon was that it “just works” with all devices and all services without the end user having to dick around?

advertisement

Back