advertisement

roon

Does anyone know what's really going on with roon ATM?

The have apparently lost there financial (overseas,China) backing due to there eco-system being too intrusive and they have recently kick out loads of manufacturers from their authorised roon compliant list.

Even the products that were working under a development licence have been deauthorised by roon.
The are stopping/have stopped the lifetime payment option.
Are they grasping at straws for cash?

Their latest release 1.7 (667) is a bag of shit too.......... on various levels.

Dunno but I've just spun Lightning DS up to check it's working - just in case.

What problems are you having? I lost my Streamers and ended up reinstalling ROON Core over the top.

Not sure what is happening with Roon. My subscription runs out shortly and I won't be renewing. In terms of a sophisticated UI to blend music libraries from various sources I think they have pretty much gone as far as they can.

All the DSP elements Roon offer will be made redundant soon by automated room correction offerings from the likes of Dirac etc. I suspect that will be the next focus for the hi-fi industry. Most reviews I watch now seem to mention room acoustics somewhere - no bad thing but it does seem to be a new thing.

Thankfully I quit my subscription earlier in the year but I suspect, like many other businesses, they will be struggling. It may be that others have also pulled their subscriptions to save costs during the last few months. I was never sure how long term Roon would be before they either sold the license or folded hence my adherence to yearly subscriptions. I do think it is progressive software and ahead of many others in its sophistication. I’m happy with LMS and MusicCast now so won’t be returning. Enjoyed it whilst I had it though.

I resubbed recently as it's still the best control point for my setups, generally it's very well behaved and updates don't bork things.

I was half expecting them to announce/release some kind of collaboration with a DSP outfit like MiniDSP/DIRAC down the line, maybe they've missed the boat already - RC is definitely a growing area and getting more mainstream acceptance outside Home Cinema.

I sincerely hope there is nowt up with Roon. It’s certainly the best bag of shite I have ever used.
.sjb

Likewise. I’m no power user, but it does what I need with no fuss or drama.

Given that I moved away from Squeezebox and the like, are there any sensible alternatives?

What problems are you having?

Mines on a QNAP and since the update over 5 weeks ago, if I add or remove an album it won't scan the library automatically; I have to manually go to settings, storage, and then 'rescan library'.

Lots of folk have said they are having issues on the roon forum but 5 weeks have passed and they have done sweat FA to fix the issue. Seems like the ball is not only dropped but also rather deflated!!

I was chatting to a UK distributor yesterday who knows the CEO of roon's (departed) ex-financial partner. He said they had split from roon as they felt the eco system they are developing is too intrusive of peoples servers, they are even wanting to control the firmware of manufacturers streaming modules. Plus they want to recharge manufacturers developer licences, even after a design is complete and issued and all they do is issue a revision of said module.

To me it all sounds as if they are scraping the barrel for cash and don't have any money to develop the platform successfully.

My take is that they have tried to be smart arses with licensing. They allowed a situation to develop where many manufacturers could claim that their products were Roon Ready, when in fact Roon had not certified them. This allowed Roon to appear as though they had a bigger eco-system than they had in fact. Then Danny Dulai woke up one morning and, perhaps because he thought he was a big powerful software player rather than an amoeba, he decided to get tough and stopped all sorts of products working until the approval had been finalized. Maybe there was licence fees involved too. This, understandably, pissed a lot of end users and manufacturers off, because their products stopped working. Roon rolled the tough guy act back a bit, and allowed existing users of uncertified product to keep using their stuff as long as they applied for developer status. It’s mostly sorted now, but Roon handled it very badly, unnecessarily aggressively, and it was a stupid and inconsiderate thing to do in the middle of a pandemic. They could’ve fixed it all quietly behind the scenes.

They don’t seem very responsive to user input, their product has some serious shortcomings which they defend rather than fix. I haven’t found any alternative which I prefer, but as soon as Qobuz has a remote option like Tidal Connect I could well give up, so I’m glad I only have an annual sub. And of course Qobuz could go bust, Tidal could fold, Amazon Music could win .. who knows.

Working fine here on my NUC Rock. No re-scanning issues.

Not all platforms are effected. its as if they don't really give a shit as there's no re-scanning issue on the roon nucleus, and roonrock OS..
It 'appears' as if they will soon only be supporting their own hardware and OS.. maybe that's all the capacity they have left!?!

+1 for Roon. Shame to see the negativity - it's been the most straighftorward library organiser for me. Qobuz & Tidal integration has been seamless, HQPlayer & Roon are a great combination and it's no faff. I hope they survive.
Me too, SONOS stuffed up and came out the other side, hopefully they get their act together with the ROON Ready certification cock up. You’d think the likes of Auralic who steadfastly say no Android App will be developed would cosy up with ROON, likewise the companies that are not massively strong or experienced developing Apps, but excellent at hardware would lean on ROON and try to get some kind of partnership formed, a step further than ROON Ready.

One of the things I like about having a ROON sub is when choosing kit I no longer worry about the control App so much - if it works with ROON I can buy it.

advertisement

Back