advertisement

roon

Reading this thread reinforces why I stick to FM, LP and CD! I was about to say it is faff-less then I remembered my Minidisc player was recently playing up!

Ah but, you can make your own Roon Core etc and it will work fine... Or you can go for a pre-made solution that doesn’t give you any issues?;)

I’ve had very few hiccups with my Innuos, and the bits it talks to.

Im a relatively new user to the Roon experience (with own library and tidal hifi) but I have to say Im converted to streaming now, only been using it for a month so far with my iMac running Roon Core and Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and it is so easy to use with the added benefit of having so much artist information at my fingertips (iPad Apple Pencil) - the ease of finding a rabbit hole of similar music to disappear into has led me to find so many artists that I would never have previously found. I listen mainly to electronic music and it is almost addictive in use as there is always "one more track" to listen too. Thankfully I've not experienced any of the issues highlighted above so far but I guess time will tell.

NUC Drivers/BIOS all up to date? Made any changes to the USB settings/power management in BIOS? Trying different USB cables and Ports? Simplest solution faulty motherboard.

Are you doing any Roon DSP type stuff? Maybe turn that off temporarily and have a straight through signal path.

Hopefully It's sorted now! with some help from the Intel Support Team.

Re installed the Intel IO drivers
Re installed the Intel Chipset Drivers
Re installed the Vitus and RealTek Audio Drivers

Also oversampling/overwriting my 24/192 music content to 24/192 via dbpoweramp just in case there maybe any corruption in the file.

Hi Gary, systems changed almost completely since the NAS/roonserver setup. So now i have:

System:
Vitus Audio RD-100 DAC/Pre
Vitus Audio RS-100 Power amp
Speakers: 432 Point5 (DIY)
Speaker stands: solidsteel SS-5
Speaker cables: 432 Point5 SPC-850 Triple-C (DIY)
USB cable: 432 Point5 SUS-380 Triple-C (DIY)

Roon:
Intel NUC i7 BXNUC10I7FNK2: 16GB RAM 256GB MVMe SSD

Network:
Network Storage: QNAP TS-251+: 8GB RAM 2x 2TB SSDs
Network cables: Veetop (26AWG flat) CAT8

Mains:
Mains distribution: DCT03 + 432 Point5 4-way Neutrik (DIY)
Mains cables: Neotech NEP-4003 + Neutrik + MS-HD (DIY)

Twas the NUC that was playing up....

Yeah perhaps. But its added complexity when the server is separate from the storage in my experience. I suppose it very much comes down to your circumstances and set up. Personally I would get something like i5 dell optiplex and install NAS software on it. More powerful by far than the qnap and would run roon server well (I know through experience) as well as plex. But I tend to treat Nases like servers and they sit no where near my hifi. Ultimately if you have no choice then I guess the qnap makes sense.

But ultimately your ideal set up is server and storage together, and the nuc just as a streamer. Furthermore, if I were you I would be trying Daphile on that nuc. Turn on squeezebox support in roon server and point the nuc at it. But again, this assumes your server is not the streamer.

Its fairy simple ATM IMHO! The NUC just runs roonserver & PLEXserver, headlessly (via Windows Remote). The NAS is now just a file server, granted it's over spec'd with its 4TB SSD and 8GB RAM but its all there and runs very cool and silent.

I took this model for Antipodes CX/EX combo, which is now there new dual computer 'K series' that are replacing them

Cerial Killer, Im running an IntelNUC8i5 with ROCK, roon core on the nuc and output by USB to my Vitus RI-101mk2 with the USB DAC board fitted, all works perfectly inc DSD 128 (the limit of the DAC board) and is sounding 99% as good as my Melco N1Z/2 EX, im running 5tb 2.5" external USB storage.

Thanks, I sorted it by getting a different amp! :) system now consists of:

System:
Aavik U-300
Speakers: (DIY) VOLT BM228.8 / ScanSpeak D2905/990000
Speaker stands: solidsteel SS-5
Speaker cables: EWA LS-40
USB cable: EWA USB

Roon & Network:
ROCK: Intel NUC i7 10th Gen FNK2: 16GB RAM 256GB MVMe SSD
Storage: QNAP TS-251+: 8GB RAM 2x 2TB SSDs
Switch: NETGEAR ProSafe GS105
Cables: Lindy Cromo CAT6

Mains:
LPSU: HD-Plex 300
Cables: EWA MCS-5

Last edited:
I was going buy the same amp as you or push the boat out to an SIA-025. Then i found a cracking deal on the U-300, x-dem @ around the same price as a mint, used SIA-025. The U-300 has built in DAC and RIAA though.

advertisement

Back