advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

We've just had a Roon server built and installed by Mark at Item Audio, finding it much quicker and easier than the dCS app. He was able to EQ the sound using Roon, so very useful. It may appear to be a little expensive for a lifetime membership, but taken over 5 yrs only £2pw for all the convenience.

Also, are there any guarantees around the lifetime purchase - minimum xx years or money back etc if it goes belly up?
Of course not, there never is with any product in that kind of situation. As there also isn’t if you buy any audio product and the small audio company goes out of business before your warranty period is up.

It depends on how risk averse you are. The lifetime package breaks even after about 4 years vs. the regular yearly subscription. If you think Roon will probably be in business for at least a few years, it’s a pretty good risk. I took out a lifetime subscription over 4 years ago, so I’m now getting Roon for “free” as long as they stay in business. If you look at it as a yearly subscription cost, my average cost each year goes down every year. I’m now “paying” less per year than the one year fee, and my “subscription fee ” is going down every year.

This thread gave me the incentive to finally try Roon and I have to say that I really like what I am seeing.

At the moment I am only trying it with locally stored music and for the first time I am really enjoying browsing my collection and the general feeling of the interface.

I will see how I will like it in the following days after the initial excitement will go down, but it looks like there will be another Roon user soon.

Next is to try it with Tidal and see how it goes.

I have to admit that I was against it, but I am slowly changing my mind.

I've been using Qobuz via Roon for a few hours at CD/Flac quality, which I've got free for a month. Perhaps I should have gone further up the ladder. Might see if I can upgrade. I am assuming the Roon try-out app will play files of higher quality that CD/Flac, but could be wrong.

Qobuz was quick to set up and straightforward to use. No doubt there are all sorts of options and settings I haven't looked at. I'll join Tidal later. This will kind of allow me to compare the two playing the same tracks, albeit treated in different manner.

Watched two people reviewing Tidal vs Qobuz on You Tube. The first went for Tidal during a blindfold test on each of 16 tracks. The second guy preferred Qobuz in terms of sound and layout.

The latter said only Jay Z and people in Tidal know what MQA technology actually is, because they haven't made it public knowledge.

The idea of cutting out frequencies human's can't normally hear is destructive, he argued, because who knows what will happen in the future. In other words conserve the whole audio file.

Makes sense ...

Jack

As far as I’m aware the Roon trial is just a time limited version of the full product. I can play Qobuz up to 24/192 as I have a Sublime+ subscription. Roon also plays DSD - and it can upsample PCM to DSD for replay.

This thread gave me the incentive to finally try Roon and I have to say that I really like what I am seeing.

At the moment I am only trying it with locally stored music and for the first time I am really enjoying browsing my collection and the general feeling of the interface.

I will see how I will like it in the following days after the initial excitement will go down, but it looks like there will be another Roon user soon.

Next is to try it with Tidal and see how it goes.

I have to admit that I was against it, but I am slowly changing my mind.

Adding TIDAL (or Qobuz) to Roon turns a great product into a must have for me.

It was the integration of Qobuz that led me to get a year’s subscription, and shortly after that I upgraded to a lifetime subscription - with a credit from Qobuz for the yearly subscription I’d recently taken out.

How much is life membership now? I bought an annual membership last November, I think. I guess as I’ve already got the Nucleus, I probably should go all the way.

Another thing I like about Roon is the music discovery experience via TIDAL, which has led me to get much more into new vinyl releases. I think overall Roon has led to me using my system more than in the past, both digital as well as analogue.

How much is life membership now? I bought an annual membership last November, I think. I guess as I’ve already got the Nucleus, I probably should go all the way.

Another thing I like about Roon is the music discovery experience via TIDAL, which has led me to get much more into new vinyl releases. I think overall Roon has led to me using my system more than in the past, both digital as well as analogue.

I’d have to look up the lifetime cost as I can’t remember. I only got the credit because I upgraded to lifetime within a month of buying a yearly subscription.

Not wishing to be too picky but it's actually $499 which for me in May '18 made it £382 but of course judging by the state of the £ then £400 would seem to be close.

Who knows what the conversion will be next month?

Where am I going wrong with Roon? I've downloaded the Core onto my PC, and I've downloaded Roon onto my iPad. I'm sat listening to Qobuz, the PC and the iPad are speaking to each other, and both tell me that nothing is playing, and offer me the music I've downloaded from iTunes over the years. When I play something on the iPad via Moon, it's the same. Neither seem to want to link with the Moon.

Have you gone into the Roon Menu settings and told it about Qobuz - you give Roon your login details. You do not need Qobuz app or website or anything else logged in. You can do this from your Roon Remote

Subscribe to Qobuz on their website, then link to it via Roon in the settings. When this is done Qobuz will be in the Browse section of the menu, which is next to your name in the top left of the main window.

Jack

Subscribe to Qobuz on their website, then link to it via Roon in the settings. When this is done Qobuz will be in the Browse section of the menu, which is next to your name in the top left of the main window.

Also any favourites you have in Qobuz will be merged with your local music.

Also worth mentioning there’s an Internet radio section that allows you to add the URLs of any radio stations you may want to listen to.

advertisement

Back