advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

Moon gave me a 60 day free trial of Roon. I downloaded the app onto my iPad, to then be told I need a Core. The iPad couldn't be used for that, so I set the Core up on my pc. If the pc's not switched on, my iPad can't connect to the Core.
I'm not going to leave my pc running all the time, so that's it for Roon.

I do understand how to use the focus and bookmark features of Roon, and am perfectly capable of using them. They do not allow as rich and customized searches and views J River does.

Since you obviously think you are cleverer than me, please tell me how to set up the view I wanted ie a view of classical composers, with the top five composers first, then corresponding albums when you click through.

Roon’s composer view let’s me focus on classical composers, which I can either sort by number of albums or alphabetically, neither of which I want, and then when I drill down I can only have compositions not albums, which is messy because every part of a work - ie an aria - gets a separate entry and you have to wade through dozens of “Best of” albums.

I don't think I'm cleverer than you.
It's very common for new users to Roon not to understand the use of the focus function, so I pointed it out.
In any case, pose you question at the Roon forum where the most knowledgeable people are, and maybe you will get a helpful answer.

If not, and you are sure Roon won't do what you want, don't use it. It's really that simple Every software has it's plusses and minuses and what's good for you might not be good for someone else. Roon and JRiver are very different and are designed to do different things. Stick with JRiver if it fits your needs better.

Moon gave me a 60 day free trial of Roon. I downloaded the app onto my iPad, to then be told I need a Core. The iPad couldn't be used for that, so I set the Core up on my pc. If the pc's not switched on, my iPad can't connect to the Core.
Yes it's a server based program. You need a running computer to use it. Imagine that.

I allow my Mac mini Roon server to go to sleep overnight. A quick prod on the button wakes it up at the start of an evening. By the time I have switched on the amp, found the whisky I want and sat down, picked up the control instrument for that evening (ipad or laptop, occasional Iphone) the system is ready to run. Roon always comes back to where you left off - so you can carry on from the previous session.

Yup. Roon needs a core to run. If you don’t want to have the standby/on function of a suitable device, there is no point reading further about Roon.

The Innuos seems to function just fine being left on.

I’m not really sure why some get het up about software. You can usually try before you buy, so why wouldn’t you?

I don't think I'm cleverer than you.
It's very common for new users to Roon not to understand the use of the focus function, so I pointed it out.
In any case, pose you question at the Roon forum where the most knowledgeable people are, and maybe you will get a helpful answer.

If not, and you are sure Roon won't do what you want, don't use it. It's really that simple Every software has it's plusses and minuses and what's good for you might not be good for someone else. Roon and JRiver are very different and are designed to do different things. Stick with JRiver if it fits your needs better.

Thank you. I am also quite capable of using the forum and posting there, and have done both. If you yourself of were to check it it out, you would find many Roon users disappointed with the search compared to J River - you are restricted to a small number of tags, you are restricted in the way the results are presented, there are no logical operators or their equivalents, you can only filter once..., you will also find folk who prefer to do their searching in Qobuz and only use Roon for playback, and you will find plenty of complaints about the way Roon mishandles boxed sets, another area where J River has advantages.

I’ve said before that Roon now suits my needs more than J River, but that doesn’t mean I am an uncritical fanboy prepared to gloss over its shortcomings. I would say that if you don’t use a streaming service, and you can live without artist bios, but you do want to organise and search your music the way you want rather the way someone else forces you to, then J River, foobar and quite possibly iTunes are better value and better products.

Just wanted to +1 for the suggestions re having a read over at the Roon labs pages. They appear both prompt and also keen to be open and honest with issues and trying to explain/resolve them.

I spent a while last night, whilst listening to some tunes, reading some of the topics. Very interesting, if only to confirm my experience has been virtually trouble free.

The biggest issue I’ve had has usually been resolved with an unplug/replug in of a powerline adaptor (3 occasions in the last 3 months).

Thank you. I am also quite capable of using the forum and posting there, and have done both. If you yourself of were to check it it out, you would find many Roon users disappointed with the search compared to J River - you are restricted to a small number of tags, you are restricted in the way the results are presented, there are no logical operators or their equivalents, you can only filter once..., you will also find folk who prefer to do their searching in Qobuz and only use Roon for playback, and you will find plenty of complaints about the way Roon mishandles boxed sets, another area where J River has advantages.

I’ve said before that Roon now suits my needs more than J River, but that doesn’t mean I am an uncritical fanboy prepared to gloss over its shortcomings. I would say that if you don’t use a streaming service, and you can live without artist bios, but you do want to organise and search your music the way you want rather the way someone else forces you to, then J River, foobar and quite possibly iTunes are better value and better products.
I used to use JRiver.Really nice software. May look again and compare. It’s also more competitively priced of course.

That really is off-putting...

I've seen some streamers say 'acts as Roon core' so presume that would remove the need for the PC to be involved?

Also, are there any guarantees around the lifetime purchase - minimum xx years or money back etc if it goes belly up?

I've started the Roon two week free deal, using the simplest set up. Roon is installed on a Mac Mini and pointed at an iTunes folder full of Apple lossless MP4 files on an external hard drive. A pair of powered Edsel speakers are plugged into the Mac Mini and the quality of replay is definitely superior to iTunes.

The scrolling from side to side to go through albums or artists is a bit annoying, but I can live with it.

I'll hook Roon up to Tidal and then Qobuz in the next two weeks to compare them.

The only thing I haven't sussed so far is if there is the equivalent of an equaliser. Just tried to play an Alanis Morissette album, which had far too much top end. Air sound good though, as do Cluster & Eno.

Poking around I accidentally put Roon on Shuffle and it has been through Bowie, Can, Radiohead, Alan Vega and Kraftwerk in the last half hour. The lyric sheet is also on, not that I am singing along to La Forme.

I am starting to like Roon.

Jack

Last edited:
That really is off-putting...

I've seen some streamers say 'acts as Roon core' so presume that would remove the need for the PC to be involved?

Yes some streamers can be both core and Roon bridge, though Roon recommend keeping the core on a separate device for the best results.

advertisement

Back