advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

There's a few setting you can opt for to taylor the info that's shown and how you'd like things integrated. Its very (and easily) customisable.

Last edited:
The comment about the possibility of a company going down the pan is of course true. Also with a lifetime subscription I have to gamble on the length of my life. All things considered though I have rolled the dice and taken out a Roon lifetime sub.

I may well do the same .. but I think that grown ups should be able to spend their money or not as they see fit without being harangued. What’s pocket change to some folks is serious money to others.

There's a few setting you can opt for to taylor the info that's shown and how you'd like things integrated. Its very (and easily) customisable.

Roon has a few options, but there’s no way imo you can call it very customisable. You are just stuck with it’s small selection of views. With J River I could, for example, have a view of just my Classical music sorted by composers surname, but with Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart and Vivaldi first because that’s the way I wanted it. Fat chance of anything like that in Roon. And sideways scrolling? Yuk! And J Rivers search is fantastic - any combination of tags you could think of, and super fast. Roon have serious speed issues with their search - see the forum where people are complaining of 10 and 20 second waits - and the results are often mystifying.

Roon has a few options, but there’s no way imo you can call it very customisable. You are just stuck with it’s small selection of views. With J River I could, for example, have a view of just my Classical music sorted by composers surname, but with Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart and Vivaldi first because that’s the way I wanted it. Fat chance of anything like that in Roon. And sideways scrolling? Yuk! And J Rivers search is fantastic - any combination of tags you could think of, and super fast. Roon have serious speed issues with their search - see the forum where people are complaining of 10 and 20 second waits - and the results are often mystifying.

Speed issues with search won’t be because of the Roon software, it’ll be network or computer power as the cause. Everything in Roon can be near instantaneous with proper setup.

Can you expand on your issue about side-scrolling? I’m really puzzled about what could be the problem for you with it. I rarely find I need to scroll more than a couple of pages, and even then, I tend to look at each page before scrolling on to the next. I suppose if I wanted to scroll many pages at once and suddenly, then it might be mildly less convenient than a vertical scroll bar, but like I said, that’s not something I’d generally need. Perhaps it’s just a matter of being used to a way of doing things, in which case, it’s more about our own intransigence. As it happens, I don’t use playlists or much customisation and it all seems great to me, and I never used any music software until Roon.

Speed issues with search won’t be because of the Roon software, it’ll be network or computer power as the cause. Everything in Roon can be near instantaneous with proper setup.

Can you expand on your issue about side-scrolling? I’m really puzzled about what could be the problem for you with it. I rarely find I need to scroll more than a couple of pages, and even then, I tend to look at each page before scrolling on to the next. I suppose if I wanted to scroll many pages at once and suddenly, then it might be mildly less convenient than a vertical scroll bar, but like I said, that’s not something I’d generally need. Perhaps it’s just a matter of being used to a way of doing things, in which case, it’s more about our own intransigence. As it happens, I don’t use playlists or much customisation and it all seems great to me, and I never used any music software until Roon.

There are known and acknowledged issues with the search in Roon. See for example this thread in their forum. There are many many others, all to do with an abrupt degradation in performance with the latest release. Nothing to do with network or computer power.

The side scrolling is just irritating, sometimes to get more you need to scroll sideways, other times down the way. It can particularly irritate people with scroll wheels on their mouse - they expect an up and down scroll wheel to scroll up and down, quite reasonably. It’s not a deal breaker for me, just a niggle. You can often jump to a particular letter in the alphabet. It would be good if their iPad app worked in either landscape or portrait mode too.

Depends how you create and organize the metadata

Really? How would you create and organise the metadata so that I could have a view of Classical Only composers with the five major composers first, then the rest in alphabetical order of surname, then with the corresponding albums when you click through.

There are known and acknowledged issues with the search in Roon. See for example this thread in their forum. There are many many others, all to do with an abrupt degradation in performance with the latest release. Nothing to do with network or computer power.

The side scrolling is just irritating, sometimes to get more you need to scroll sideways, other times down the way. It can particularly irritate people with scroll wheels on their mouse - they expect an up and down scroll wheel to scroll up and down, quite reasonably. It’s not a deal breaker for me, just a niggle. You can often jump to a particular letter in the alphabet. It would be good if their iPad app worked in either landscape or portrait mode too.
No degradation in performance for me so likely network issues. Just not seeing what others see.

No degradation in performance for me so likely network issues. Just not seeing what others see

Plenty reports on the Roon forum. Seems mostly associated with Qobuz and/or Tidal and only appeared with the latest 1.6 release, but it is not consistent. They have said they are working on it. If you do a search for “slow search” on their forum you’ll get loads of results.

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=Search slow

It happens for people with Roon hardware and fibre broadband. They’ve acknowledged the issue. It seizes up for me quite often, I just give up and use Qobuz which returns results effectively immediately.

I’ve got fibre broadband, and have no issue with Roon.

That won’t make the people with fibre broadband who do have issues with Roon, and who Roon acknowledge have issues, feel any better! Roon have what they call an object model of data. Such models are not that easy to search. One of the issues Roon have is that people can get different search results depending on what is in their local libraries which makes replicating the issue more difficult. Also they have said that changes to their cloud service may be affecting performance. Roon have been working with those affected, and have made changes. Plenty of ongoing conversations in their forum. Like many software companies they first denied the issue, then blamed their users, then reluctantly accepted there was a problem for a tiny number of users, then proudly proclaimed to have fixed it. Here’s one of many sample threads

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/why-is-roon-broken-so-much-since-1-6/67043/76

Funnily enough, last night, for the first time since I’ve signed with Roon, I also had an issue with slow loading of albums & a red message saying its Tidal/net connection issues.
It’s been fine today though.
Usually my BT high-speed Fibre connection is pretty decent.
Hopefully it’s a one-off?

That won’t make the people with fibre broadband who do have issues with Roon, and who Roon acknowledge have issues, feel any better! Roon have what they call an object model of data. Such models are not that easy to search. One of the issues Roon have is that people can get different search results depending on what is in their local libraries which makes replicating the issue more difficult. Also they have said that changes to their cloud service may be affecting performance. Roon have been working with those affected, and have made changes. Plenty of ongoing conversations in their forum. Like many software companies they first denied the issue, then blamed their users, then reluctantly accepted there was a problem for a tiny number of users, then proudly proclaimed to have fixed it. Here’s one of many sample threads

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/why-is-roon-broken-so-much-since-1-6/67043/76

Just curious, what on earth can the type of broadband delivery medium have to do with it? Connection speed, latency and reliability yes, medium no. If you had said people on dial up have issues I wouldnt have questioned, but people with (generally) the fastest delivery pipe have issues? This points to an internet issue (backhaul/routing/international bandwidth) more than a Roon issue.

No problems here BTW :)

Cereal. It is a 14 days trial and at the moment i have too many things requiring my attention to give my time solidly to exploring what Roon offers. I suspect as I have said earlier that it will be thrusting too much at me and removing the joy of discovery by my own searching. Some people like that here is everything you need approach, I don’t.
My existing storage is fine for my local material and I don’t feel drawn to Tidal or Qobus.

Thanks for your encouragement

I started the thread because a similar one on another forum end up with loads of personal comments and resulted in the thread being binned. It is useful to have a source of peoples reactions to the product which amazes some and anti-amazes others.
If you write them and request it they will give you a longer trial so you can check it out more thoroughly without the time pressure.

You need to learn how to use the "focus" and "bookmark" features of Roon. You can get just about any type of sort you want, and can also save them so they are repeatable.

Really? How would you create and organise the metadata so that I could have a view of Classical Only composers with the five major composers first, then the rest in alphabetical order of surname, then with the corresponding albums when you click through.

Use dbpoweramp, select all songs, right click to edit, go to +add tags, write custom meta fields or use the 20+ prewritten tags... If you like send me an album and a brief and i'll have a go.

You need to learn how to use the "focus" and "bookmark" features of Roon. You can get just about any type of sort you want, and can also save them so they are repeatable.

I do understand how to use the focus and bookmark features of Roon, and am perfectly capable of using them. They do not allow as rich and customized searches and views J River does.

Since you obviously think you are cleverer than me, please tell me how to set up the view I wanted ie a view of classical composers, with the top five composers first, then corresponding albums when you click through.

Roon’s composer view let’s me focus on classical composers, which I can either sort by number of albums or alphabetically, neither of which I want, and then when I drill down I can only have compositions not albums, which is messy because every part of a work - ie an aria - gets a separate entry and you have to wade through dozens of “Best of” albums.

Use dbpoweramp, select all songs, right click to edit, go to +add tags, write custom meta fields or use the 20+ prewritten tags... If you like send me an album and a brief and i'll have a go.

My brief is in the above post. The only tags re quirked are Genre and Conposer which are present in all my rips and in nearly all Qobuz. Correct tagging is nothing to do with it, it is how you get Roon to use exploit those tags and display the results that is the issue. J River can, in many circumstances, do a better job - it has a much more powerful query wizard and a much more flexible way of making views. If you wanted to pick 1990s house music and sort the tracks by BPM you could do it in JRiver, not in Roon.

Just curious, what on earth can the type of broadband delivery medium have to do with it? Connection speed, latency and reliability yes, medium no. If you had said people on dial up have issues I wouldnt have questioned, but people with (generally) the fastest delivery pipe have issues? This points to an internet issue (backhaul/routing/international bandwidth) more than a Roon issue.

No problems here BTW :)

I only mentioned fibre broadband in the context of a reply to a poster who was suggesting it was a speed issue with the local network.

Here is a typical thread on the slow search issue with 1.6 from their forum. As you can see, they acknowledge the issue and bought server hardware to try and resolve the problem. Issues persisted for some people particularly those with Qobuz and Tidal. iirc Roon also found they had problems with their cloud services and improved the way their search algorithm works. It is still iffy for some people, but not consistently, which points perhaps to a bottleneck somewhere, perhaps with Qobuz’ or Tidals servers, who knows. Trouble with that hypothesis is that if you give up with a search through Roon because it is taking so long and then go directly to Qobuz you get effectively instant results.

Seems to me they are struggling a bit both with support and development. Wonder how well their sales are doing, and how well Qobuz is doing in the US.

advertisement

Back