advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

Perhaps you need to tinker with the QoS settings on your network! That would allow you to pull rank, and prioritise the available bandwidth for music streaming when there is other activity competing for it. Also, if you are getting dropouts, it could be that the real problem is latency, which is largely out of your control, but certainly it would be worth looking at ways to optimise your own network to make sure it is not adding to this.
I'm curious as to how much better Qobuz Hi-Res streams really are compared to regular lossless though, as to my ears, improvements are sometimes small to non-existent.

That is plan that I have in mind for tonight, but first I will allow internet access only to the media server and see if the bandwidth is enough.If it's enough, then I will play with the QoS settings, better router if needed and etc.Since I work in IT, I have all this network equipment laying around :)

I am playing a bit during work with the iOS app for Qobuz, and initial impression is that this could be more suited to my taste then Tidal, but let's see.

That’s strange, I connect the NAS/roon to my amps DAC via USB and no drivers required !?

I have the same problem with my Mytek 192 dac if I want to use the full capabilities of the Async USB2 port.They use older USB2 implementation and I have to use their proprietary ASIO drivers to get hi-res, DSD and etc.This is why I am stuck with Windows 10, instead of going for a much nicer solution like yourself.

That is plan that I have in mind for tonight, but first I will allow internet access only to the media server and see if the bandwidth is enough.If it's enough, then I will play with the QoS settings, better router if needed and etc.Since I work in IT, I have all this network equipment laying around :)
Yes, a your average ISP supplied router probably won't let you do this. I have a friend who does it using a Cisco switch.

I am playing a bit during work with the iOS app for Qobuz, and initial impression is that this could be more suited to my taste then Tidal, but let's see.
When you first use Tidal, it promotes a load of music that Jay-Z wants to promote, and a lot of people criticise it for this. However, the more you use it, the more it 'learns' what you listen to, and the suggestions, playlists etc. reflect this. I use it almost exclusively as a search tool, and only really look at favourites I have saved, so I never see any of this promoted material.

Yes, a your average ISP supplied router probably won't let you do this. I have a friend who does it using a Cisco switch.

I didn't had time until last night to play with this a bit, so I exchanged the default router with a more professional one and did some analysis on the network traffic.Playing 192/24 tracks is using around 10-11mbps bandwidth during the entire song (or almost).I made a small mistake previously, my broadband connection is synchronized at 12mbps, so this puts Qobuz right at the top limit.

I was able to get a stable stream with no other users/services active on the network, but this is not practical and few persons at home will complain about this :) Even if I use the complete bandwidth for myself, trying to read pfm or any other "lighter" web related activity is causing performance issues.

When you first use Tidal, it promotes a load of music that Jay-Z wants to promote, and a lot of people criticise it for this. However, the more you use it, the more it 'learns' what you listen to, and the suggestions, playlists etc. reflect this. I use it almost exclusively as a search tool, and only really look at favourites I have saved, so I never see any of this promoted material.

I think you are right about this, and those first suggestions/impressions through me off.I started to use it as a search tool in the last few days and it looks better and better.I still have a feeling that Qobuz is a bit more to my liking, but my wife likes all that popular new music, so maybe I will stick with Tidal in the end.

In any case I still buy on LP/CD the albums that I really like, so I am covered.

I didn't had time until last night to play with this a bit, so I exchanged the default router with a more professional one and did some analysis on the network traffic.Playing 192/24 tracks is using around 10-11mbps bandwidth during the entire song (or almost).I made a small mistake previously, my broadband connection is synchronized at 12mbps, so this puts Qobuz right at the top limit.

I was able to get a stable stream with no other users/services active on the network, but this is not practical and few persons at home will complain about this :) Even if I use the complete bandwidth for myself, trying to read pfm or any other "lighter" web related activity is causing performance issues.

I think you are right about this, and those first suggestions/impressions through me off.I started to use it as a search tool in the last few days and it looks better and better.I still have a feeling that Qobuz is a bit more to my liking, but my wife likes all that popular new music, so maybe I will stick with Tidal in the end.

In any case I still buy on LP/CD the albums that I really like, so I am covered.
Yes, 24/192 does require a lot more bandwidth than 16/44. Qobuz suggest at least 10mb, which seems a bit tight to me. It would be a non-starter for me on a miserly 4 to 5mb line, although amazingly, I have managed to stream 4 simultaneous 16/44 Tidal tracks with no dropouts!

Yes, 24/192 does require a lot more bandwidth than 16/44. Qobuz suggest at least 10mb, which seems a bit tight to me. It would be a non-starter for me on a miserly 4 to 5mb line, although amazingly, I have managed to stream 4 simultaneous 16/44 Tidal tracks with no dropouts!
Plausible if its streamed as flac.

I've had Roon for a few months. But I can no longer use it.

The main problem is that when I select my USB DAC as the audio output device it flashes up device ASIO initialization failed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Roon a couple of times.
I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my particular USB DAC.
No luck.

I can play music from my harddrive via Winamp. But it keeps pausing for a second. This happens on a new and older harddrive.

I can play music on my laptop from the Qoubuz app. Tablet hooked up to DAC works fine.

On the computer I clicked:
Control Panel
Hardware and Sound
View Devices and printers
I right click on USB Audio DAC , select Properties
Says "device working properly".

Incidentally I tried to select higher than 16 bit resolution but there was no option to do so.

Running Windows 10 on a refurbished Compaq Presario CQ58 laptop.

Have you tried posting your issue on the Roon forum and paging @support?

.sjb

I feel a bit silly asking this, but I can't seem to find how to get in touch with Roon support directly? I have some payment issues with the card/bank and I would not like to have these discussions in an open forum format (as I understood the support concept?)

Is there a way to contact Roon support directly?

I feel a bit silly asking this, but I can't seem to find how to get in touch with Roon support directly? I have some payment issues with the card/bank and I would not like to have these discussions in an open forum format (as I understood the support concept?)

Is there a way to contact Roon support directly?

There's definitely an email address of some kind because I had correspondence with them when I was originally using the trial a couple of years ago.

There's a contact page here...

https://roonlabs.com/contact.html

Perhaps they prefer you to not trouble them, just use the product and pay us

I had a payment issue with Roon. Didn’t spot the email at the bottom of their home page, so left a general request for contact/clarification on their forum. It was answered in 40 minutes, and the issue resolved instantly.

I think that’s rather quick and efficient.

And an actual experience with their billing and accounts dept...;)

If it is technical support, the best way to get them is to the forum, support section, and flag @support with your question.
For billing, obviously, this isn't what you want to do.

That’s the exact opposite of my experience with them. They will respond to support requests on their forum promptly as well as via direct contact.

This was also my experience.They replied the same day to my emails and they were very helpful.Since I am on a weekly business trip at the moment, they even extended my free trial until I am back to sort my payment issues with the bank.

advertisement

Back