advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

I really don't get what the problem with side swiping/scrolling is.

I don’t mind the interface at all. No one app is the same as another. I guess you’ll either like it or not. The free trial will tell you all you need to know.

For me, the deal was sealed when Mrs C started using it instead of the Sonos app, and mentioned all the ripped CDs also being available.

I suspect the side swiping thing is to keep it inline with other current apps.

If you've seen a teenager using instagram it's a marvel of blurred thumbs swiping left/right and up/down. I think instagram etc use a grid method so you can swipe left or right through users posts/pictures/videos etc and up or down for users.
Other apps allow you to toggle between list view and grid view - I'd be happy with that. On the face of it, I admit this seems a bit picky, but it really does my head in, and it seems I'm not alone.

To be fair it is reasonably obvious that side swiping is necessary - there is either a horizontal scroll bar or a row of dots along the bottom of the screen. Still not got used to it though! Qobuz is the same.

On iphone there are no scroll bars, this is the issue. I could put up with the scrolling (its not side scrolling on iphone) if they gave an alphabet or a scroll bar, I have 3k plus artists and scrolling one screen at a time is simply not acceptable.

If they didnt want it used with phones they should not have made it available for phones.

On iphone there are no scroll bars, this is the issue. I could put up with the scrolling (its no side on iphone) if they gave an alphabet or a scroll, I have 3k plus artists and scrolling one screen at a time is simply not acceptable.

If they didnt want it used with phones they should not have made it available for phones.
Right enough, it is a bit Mickey Mouse on iPhone.

Thanks for a constructive discussion. I was uming and ahing to give Roon another go but it is not for me. Some radio for variety, Moode with an rPi or UpNP to a Naim Muso. If I get curious about lyrics genius.com, a search of YouTube finds versions of a song and the pleasure of hearing outweighs the ‘poor quality’.

Having things thrown at me with every song I listen to does not appeal.

Side scrolling killed it for me, absolutely hated that.

I've tried Roon trial 4 or 5 times and each time I just don't see the value in it. I don't use Qobuz as it has very few of the artists I like. Tidal is better for choice but do I really need to be paying £20 over and above my Spotify Family Sub that the whole family uses AND pay $120 per year or $399 lifetime sub for a search engine and player.

If Roon took on Spotify ( Ain't gonna happen ) I might, just might consider it. But that sideways scrolling :confused:

I was reticent about Roon, not fussed about the lyric display etc. I just want to select music & listen to it, not necessarily read info or look at upcoming tickets for the band.
However, the interface is excellent, the integration of albums from Tidal going into my library, the Roon radio, all works for me.
I can see how it’s not for everybody & it is pricey, very pricey. But it makes Audirvana, Amarra et al look amateurish & after the trial period, for me there was no going back.

is £399 really too much for a lifetime licence?

for some people, yes, far too much. If you just want to play your own music I don't think it's a good deal. If you have and enjoy a Qobuz or Tidal subscription, it is better value, but either of them could go down the pan tomorrow, and/or Qobuz could improve such that Roon was redundant, so I'm sticking with an annual sub at the moment.

is £399 really too much for a lifetime licence?
Not to me it’s not, I’ve just upgraded to the lifetime membership.
However, I do think it’s enough to put many people off, or at least think about it very carefully.
Compared to Audirvana, Pure Music & the like it is pricey. It’s a lot slicker & well thought out but pricey. I can see why it’s not for everyone.

I only really (90%) play local music, Qobuz is a luxury for lossless mobile and seamless integration into my home system. If i really really like something on Qobuz, i tend to buy the download.
Come on, there's much worse ways to waste £399 on a one-time payment and £25 p/m on a subscription.... how much do folk spend on wine/beer which literally gets pissed away!!

I am a huge fan of Roon. It is brilliant for discovering new music when integrated with Tidal and the interface is quite good. Perhaps not perfect, but nothing else is. The price is a bit steep, but I just gulped and stumped up last year. I have already forgotten about the spend now, and now it’s free for life.

for some people, yes, far too much. If you just want to play your own music I don't think it's a good deal. If you have and enjoy a Qobuz or Tidal subscription, it is better value, but either of them could go down the pan tomorrow, and/or Qobuz could improve such that Roon was redundant, so I'm sticking with an annual sub at the moment.

The comment about the possibility of a company going down the pan is of course true. Also with a lifetime subscription I have to gamble on the length of my life. All things considered though I have rolled the dice and taken out a Roon lifetime sub.

@whatsnext have you tried the months free trial?
Cereal. It is a 14 days trial and at the moment i have too many things requiring my attention to give my time solidly to exploring what Roon offers. I suspect as I have said earlier that it will be thrusting too much at me and removing the joy of discovery by my own searching. Some people like that here is everything you need approach, I don’t.
My existing storage is fine for my local material and I don’t feel drawn to Tidal or Qobus.

Thanks for your encouragement

I started the thread because a similar one on another forum end up with loads of personal comments and resulted in the thread being binned. It is useful to have a source of peoples reactions to the product which amazes some and anti-amazes others.

advertisement

Back