Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Right To Repair

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tony L, Dec 15, 2020.

1. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Turns out there is a Right to Repair bill scheduled for consideration in the Oregon legislature this session. Am reaching out to find ways to get involved.

booja30 likes this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Excellent stuff. Louis Rossmann has a Google document that is his written testimony for the Maryland hearing that has a lot of content that could be used/paraphrased etc. He’s had most of the counter arguments thrown at him over the years so tends to preemptively shoot them down. In these days of covid chances are you will have to submit a written case in advance.

kasperhauser likes this.
  3. David W Brown

David W Brown pfm Member

Heh, when I did my apprenticeship at Harwell we were taught exactly the same thing !!

Darmok likes this.
  4. Darmok

Darmok "Didactic Prophylaxes"

5. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Not many re-wireable plugs seem to have enough room to allow this cable dressing to take place.

6. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Right to Repair - well 10 yr life of new appliances is EU law from now. Apparently Sweden imposes a lower rate of VAT on parts - to encourage repair rather than replace.

Darmok and Tony L like this.
  7. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

which means of course you are missing out on that unique Dualit crunch, and there will always be someone grateful for the old toaster.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d recommend a proper Dualit to anyone! After a lifetime of throwing awful cheap toasters into landfill I bought the classic 4 slice model about 5 years ago and I really like it. The thing is built like a Quad 303; solid, robust, easy to work on with the only parts that can fail (heating elements and timer) widely available as easy to fit spares. 100% Right To Repair compatible. Makes great toast too, noticeably nicer (crisper and more even) than the cheap plastic Chinese crap I was using before (Philips I think).

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

I dusted down my late '60s 1227 anglepoise to repair it recently. The main upper and lower arms were both bent beyond repair, so I e mailed Anglepoise for spares. They sent me a brand new upper and lower and sidearm 1227 assembly completely free of charge and it is now reassembled and working very nicely!

I now have a spare pair of sidearms for a new 1227 if anyone needs them, as the old springs on mine didn't fit them.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Jono_13, Paul L and Darmok like this.
  10. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

11. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

12. miktec

miktec unissued

Many, many years ago when bin scavenging was a weekly enterprise, I rescued some great stuff; mostly cast off furniture and the like but I also picked up some great bits of audio gear. Usually with very little wrong with them (sometimes fully working)

Best finds were a full band portable radio where the mains switch just needed replacing (plenty of shops for spares then) and a fully working old tube radio in a lovely wooden cabinet.

Biggest shame more recently was when the local council forbad swaps and trades at the recycling centre. I still use a beautiful oak bookcase I picked up there for a tenner before the ban came in.

13. pocketkitchen

pocketkitchen Registered User

14. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

Very ironic - and hypocritical - that a BBC Breakfast report on this and older household appliances today showed various valve and old tranny radios which proud owners said had a 'lovely tone' - after the Beeb has spent 15 years and millions of our dosh promoting DAB.

bluefish likes this.
  15. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

16. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I haven't been following this thread tbh, but I see on the BBC news this morning that the right to repair will become law this summer. In an effort to extend the life of domestic appliances, manufacturers will be obliged to make spares for products available, which is estimated will save 1.5 billion tonnes of electrical waste .

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is very encouraging to see some actual progress for a change.

18. Hip-Priest

Hip-Priest Not hip. Not a priest.

I couldn't work out whether it applies to tech or not. i.e. iPhones, Laptops, etc.

19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Only for ten years...

20. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

That's going to be a tougher deal. These industries are committed to forcing you to 'upgrade' as often as possible.

Yes, but even so, it's a step in the right direction and changing your appliance in that time frame isn't so bad. You have to balance it against the manufacturer still being able to make a profit and keep the business going, but having said that, I'm 100% in support of the notion of the prevention of waste.