Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Right To Repair

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tony L, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Good job many hi fi manufacturers will keep spares and repair longer than ten years.

2. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Yes, but I'm the type of enthusiast that hi-fi manufacturers hate, given that I run three turntables from the 60's (Garrard 401/Lenco 88/Michell Hydraulic Reference)! The hi-fi industry would be flat on it's feet if it relied on me for sales.

3. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Precisely one of the reasons I use and love vintage hi-fi.
    My elements will be forever repairable.

What about those silly SMPS power supplies and ridiculous surface mount components?
    Once broken they are tip material.

Plus there are no schematics anywhere, let alone service manuals.

4. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

6. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

7. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

Just in case anyone here wasn't familiar with it, the Fairphone is relevant to the overall topic (less so to HiFi):
    www.fairphone.com

8. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Daughter had one and found the parts too expensive so back to a cheap Samsung now. A good concept though.

9. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

Yeah that's the unfortunate reality here...it's a pricey phone, whose performance is put to shame by similarly priced devices, and the ability to repair/update individual components also comes at a premium. Mostly down to economies of scale, although their commitment to ethical sourcing also probably contributes. For the average Joe/Jane, for whom ~300 currency units is a lot of money, it becomes a difficult decision. I'm currently weighing it myself.

10. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Nothing fundamentally wrong with the phone, it just felt a bit primitive.

Really wanted to like it but i couldn't justify paying double solely for the ethics.

I think i'd rather get a cheap phone and give £50 to a relevant charity.

gustav_errata likes this.
  11. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Chips in smartphones have a production life of around a year. Everything in them is basically "custom" for the range product cycle