advertisement

Right To Repair

Excellent stuff. Louis Rossmann has a Google document that is his written testimony for the Maryland hearing that has a lot of content that could be used/paraphrased etc. He’s had most of the counter arguments thrown at him over the years so tends to preemptively shoot them down. In these days of covid chances are you will have to submit a written case in advance.

Great thread Tony, sorry bit late here as I am satisfied with my audio since the mid eighties.

Schnipetty Schnip....

When I did a C&G electronic servicing course at college, we were given a task to wire up a 13amp plug.

We all failed because when you tug the cable away from the plug the earth should remain connected when the live and neutral give way.

The technique is to wind the earth lead around the screwdriver shaft once to extend it making it the last connection to break away in a failed strained cable situation.

Hope this helps?

Thanks for all the useful youtube vids, I wish I wasn't retired, too frail at my age. :(

Heh, when I did my apprenticeship at Harwell we were taught exactly the same thing !!

Legalized Totting...

4284.jpg

Kerbside scheme to cut electronic waste could be launched in UK

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/26/kerbside-scheme-collect-electronic-waste-uk

;)

I've hankered after a dualit toaster for ages .... problem is my 25 year old Breville refused to die! grrrrr :)
which means of course you are missing out on that unique Dualit crunch, and there will always be someone grateful for the old toaster.

I’d recommend a proper Dualit to anyone! After a lifetime of throwing awful cheap toasters into landfill I bought the classic 4 slice model about 5 years ago and I really like it. The thing is built like a Quad 303; solid, robust, easy to work on with the only parts that can fail (heating elements and timer) widely available as easy to fit spares. 100% Right To Repair compatible. Makes great toast too, noticeably nicer (crisper and more even) than the cheap plastic Chinese crap I was using before (Philips I think).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I dusted down my late '60s 1227 anglepoise to repair it recently. The main upper and lower arms were both bent beyond repair, so I e mailed Anglepoise for spares. They sent me a brand new upper and lower and sidearm 1227 assembly completely free of charge and it is now reassembled and working very nicely!

I now have a spare pair of sidearms for a new 1227 if anyone needs them, as the old springs on mine didn't fit them.

Last edited:
Legalized Totting...

Kerbside scheme to cut electronic waste could be launched in UK

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/26/kerbside-scheme-collect-electronic-waste-uk

;)

Many, many years ago when bin scavenging was a weekly enterprise, I rescued some great stuff; mostly cast off furniture and the like but I also picked up some great bits of audio gear. Usually with very little wrong with them (sometimes fully working)

Best finds were a full band portable radio where the mains switch just needed replacing (plenty of shops for spares then) and a fully working old tube radio in a lovely wooden cabinet.

Biggest shame more recently was when the local council forbad swaps and trades at the recycling centre. I still use a beautiful oak bookcase I picked up there for a tenner before the ban came in.

Very ironic - and hypocritical - that a BBC Breakfast report on this and older household appliances today showed various valve and old tranny radios which proud owners said had a 'lovely tone' - after the Beeb has spent 15 years and millions of our dosh promoting DAB.

I haven't been following this thread tbh, but I see on the BBC news this morning that the right to repair will become law this summer. In an effort to extend the life of domestic appliances, manufacturers will be obliged to make spares for products available, which is estimated will save 1.5 billion tonnes of electrical waste .

I haven't been following this thread tbh, but I see on the BBC news this morning that the right to repair will become law this summer. In an effort to extend the life of domestic appliances, manufacturers will be obliged to make spares for products available, which is estimated will save 1.5 billion tonnes of electrical waste .
Only for ten years...

I couldn't work out whether it applies to tech or not. i.e. iPhones, Laptops, etc.

That's going to be a tougher deal. These industries are committed to forcing you to 'upgrade' as often as possible.

Only for ten years...

Yes, but even so, it's a step in the right direction and changing your appliance in that time frame isn't so bad. You have to balance it against the manufacturer still being able to make a profit and keep the business going, but having said that, I'm 100% in support of the notion of the prevention of waste.

advertisement

Back