advertisement

Rice cookers

In the end I was gonna go with the cheaper 1-button Zojirushi, but stepped up to the 6-cup size. I figure if I ever outgrow it, I can always take it to work.

I spent a lot of time on Youtube watching Asian Food Influencer types go shopping, looking for brand name recommendations for the various sauces. I started to find a consensus, created a shopping list, and went to several local Asian markets yesterday. I got most of the stuff on my list but still ended up having to order a few things online. Surprisingly, it was the Chinese soy sauces I couldn't find, after trying three markets.

Rice cooker and a flat-bottom wok are on their way from Amazon, but won't arrive 'til Wednesday. I have two easy dishes I want to tackle first, if I can somehow do them to an adequate standard then I'll branch out:

I expect to be like the dog who can recite Shakespeare.

In the end I was gonna go with the cheaper 1-button Zojirushi, but stepped up to the 6-cup size. I figure if I ever outgrow it, I can always take it to work.

I spent a lot of time on Youtube watching Asian Food Influencer types go shopping, looking for brand name recommendations for the various sauces. I started to find a consensus, created a shopping list, and went to several local Asian markets yesterday. I got most of the stuff on my list but still ended up having to order a few things online. Surprisingly, it was the Chinese soy sauces I couldn't find, after trying three markets.

Rice cooker and a flat-bottom wok are on their way from Amazon, but won't arrive 'til Wednesday. I have two easy dishes I want to tackle first, if I can somehow do them to an adequate standard then I'll branch out:

I expect to be like the dog who can recite Shakespeare.
Love Thai Basil stir fry. Pad Kra Pow with an egg on top!

Rice cooker and a flat-bottom wok are on their way from Amazon.
I miss having a wok since moving into my house that does not have gas. I've tried various flat-bottomed woks on my induction hob, but it just ain't the same. The next best solution was a flat-bottomed cast iron pan that can get searingly hot (and hold its heat) for stir frying. It's all about maximal cooking surface area.

I miss having a wok since moving into my house that does not have gas. I've tried various flat-bottomed woks on my induction hob, but it just ain't the same. The next best solution was a flat-bottomed cast iron pan that can get searingly hot (and hold its heat) for stir frying. It's all about maximal cooking surface area.

I've seen some of the Youtube Asian chefs using countertop stand-alone single-burner propane or butane stoves...

I've seen some of the Youtube Asian chefs using countertop stand-alone single-burner propane or butane stoves...
I think that would be too much of a faff. Some people already lament about rice-cookers :D.

The other factor, aside from storage needs and inconvenience, is cooking height. Placing the burner and then the wok atop my bench would make it unsafe to use, particularly if the wok is to be shaken with vigour like Asian cooks do.

The rice cooker and wok have arrived, my task for the evening is to season the wok. And for information on how to do this, I have turned to James May:

I tried the "16 Minute Thai Basil Stir Fry" tonight. I was quite worried because I couldn't un-smell the fish sauce once I prepared the sauce. But once it was all together it turned out pretty reasonable for a first effort.

advertisement

Back