advertisement

Rice cookers

I use them, had 2 in 20 years, a 150 quid Moulinex that lasted 18 years. Then I bought a Chinese one for 60 quid, alas it burns the bottom layer of rice a bit. So I'd be tempted to get one a bit better than that. Other than that, the only other thing to worry about is the bits of non-stick coating that inevtiably come off over the years. So I'm thinking again I should not have got a shitty Chinese branded one.

I think its a bit weird saying they are unnecessary, and that a saucepan will do, when the rice eaters of the world use them before they use a rice cooker. Its almost like saying the oven is good enough for pizzas. In fact, over 6 years in Thailand and China I don't think I saw rice being cooked in anything but. Once I tried one, I relaised why, firstly, you only need one cup of water with one cup of Jasmine, 1.2 cups wit ohther rice. Close the lid and you can worry about what else is cooking. Both of mine know when the water has been absorbed somehow, so it does not overcook and it keeps it warm after it has cooked. So you use less energy cooking, there is less to think about when cooking the other stuff and it stays hot for when you are ready.

I probably use ours 2 times a week. I am a rice eater more than the other stuff, ie potato, pasta and bread.

Regarding already cooked rice in the bag, 1 minute in the nicrowave, there is a dreadful taste to the few I have tried. Vacuum-packed wet rice....mmm what's not to like.

You can buy a steamer and cook your rice in it not just veg.
Once you get the hang of it, there's none of the hassle to watch over it as you know exactly how long it takes to cook.

I leave rice soaking in water to get rid of the starch maybe for a hour, then cook with 1.5x times as much water as the rice weights.
Just add a little salt.
Two portions of rice for us is about 100g rice and 150g water.

New potatoes takes 30 min in a steamer, 15 min for brocolli etc.

What interests me is how much water goes in other devices. My mum doubles up in a pan, so 2 cups of water, and one cup of rice. And Dalryc says 1.5 cups. If I did that in a rice cooker, I would have a pot of cladge .

Never rinsed rice either. Boiling, for a good few mins, will get rid of any unlikely nasties anyway.

I agree with Cav's post entirely. Why you'd reply so James, is a bit bewildering to me.

(pot of cladge!)

Capt

Uncooked rice can contain spores of a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. This bacteria can cause food poisoning. The spores of Bacillus cereus can survive being cooked. The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins will make the rice unsafe to eat.

What interests me is how much water goes in other devices. My mum doubles up in a pan, so 2 cups of water, and one cup of rice. And Dalryc says 1.5 cups. If I did that in a rice cooker, I would have a pot of cladge .
That's what I used to get prior to me washing of the starch in cold water - and you can see it even in cold water - prior to steaming it.
I currently used the cooker mentioned earlier and have a separate steamer for veg.

Takes 25 mins to cook 2 portions of rice.
I always use Tilda Basmati as it's decent quality, doesn't come out the microwave still wet and cheap in bulk bags.

However, I have tasted pan cook rice at a friends that was excellent.

My mother could never cook rice and her Sunday afternoons were always trying to make meringues!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You don't think you need one until you've used one.

If it's good enough for the local Chinese Takeaway šŸ˜‰

Where do you buy rice?

have you seen the conditions rice is grown in - certainly not grown in Volvic, who know what post harvesting process is done?

i always rinse rice to remove excess starch which arises from milling and any other detritus that might be present - unwanted husks etc.....

I probably use ours 2 times a week. I am a rice eater more than the other stuff, ie potato, pasta and bread.

Regarding already cooked rice in the bag, 1 minute in the nicrowave, there is a dreadful taste to the few I have tried. Vacuum-packed wet rice....mmm what's not to like.

We use far less, more like once a month, but any leftovers are cooled quickly and frozen, thaws out really well.

advertisement

Back